Page 49 of 77 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast

Thread: Today I learned...

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I've only ever moved house four times, and I wasn't old enough to remember any of them. I can imagine it though.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

I recently moved. I've even got a picture of my room after we came in and took everything out. It's mindblowing; I never thought I would miss that old place.
    Now 99% disease free!

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar
    Today I learned... that scsi is not hot-swappable.

The drives may be but the cables for damn sure aren't. I was going to try to set up this raid array we just got at work and as soon as I plugged the cable in the server blue screened... Then I rebooted and it was showing 2 failed drives. I spent about 15 minutes in the config and the Perc tools trying to find a fix and couldn't...

sucked it up and told my co-worker who then spent less then 2 minutes fixing it.

luckily it is an old server and not mission critical.

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Tonight I learned that being a "Busser" at a restaurant is equivalent to being a Janitor for 7 hours, with a break at the beginning of your shift.

I'm going to go die now.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar
    i occasionally had to bus when i worked at my last crappy job. it would get so busy that it was like i was the only person there... i'm so glad i've moved past shitty employment like that. food service is definately not for me.

Everyone should do food service at some point in their formative years, just so they can learn what they don't want to do for the rest of their lives. I worked at a Subway sandwich shop. That sucked, let me tell you what.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax
    Everyone should do food service at some point in their formative years, just so they can learn what they don't want to do for the rest of their lives.
    This is the reason I'm not going to quit, despite how crappy it is. I want to be able to say that I've done that kind of work and come out better for it.

Also it gives me a good chance to practice my Spanish, since only one of the other bussers can even understand English.

"Tres salsas para ellos" "Esa mesa est&#225; sucia, all&#225;" "barre atr&#225;s" etc, etc.
    Last edited by XanBcoo; Sun, 06-29-2008 at 03:38 AM.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I never wanted to work in food service, but here I am. I think I've been at a Pizza Hut long enough though. It's time for ime to find a job that grants me the experience I'll actually need. Hopefully that will happen 6 months from now.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Awesome user with default custom title The Heretic Azazel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax
    Everyone should do food service at some point in their formative years, just so they can learn what they don't want to do for the rest of their lives. I worked at a Subway sandwich shop. That sucked, let me tell you what.
    The thought of you making my footlong turkey and cheddar makes me ill.

Today I learned the drummer from Bad Company had $400,000 worth of jewels stolen from his house when he was on vacation. When asked if he had locked the doors, he said he couldn't remember. Oy.
    "They call it 'The American Dream' because you have to be asleep to believe it" - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian
    I never wanted to work in food service, but here I am. I think I've been at a Pizza Hut long enough though. It's time for ime to find a job that grants me the experience I'll actually need. Hopefully that will happen 6 months from now.
    Go go go! Working even in a retail pharmacy will help you out ALOT during pharmacy school dude. The only downfall is dealing with shitty customers who yell at you when their own damn insurance doesn't work. Its as if they think we have the power to change the copays on their prescriptions. -____-

But yeah, working in some area of pharmacy in the real world is highly recommended Buff. I'm thinking about trying an internship at a company next year if I can get into one. And its cool to know that I'm in the same forum with another pharmacist-in-training (although I've known this for awhile so I didn't really learn anything...).
    This fantastic Sousuke sig was made by the one and only Lucifus! Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by The Heretic Azazel
    The thought of you making my footlong turkey and cheddar makes me ill.

Today I learned the drummer from Bad Company had $400,000 worth of jewels stolen from his house when he was on vacation. When asked if he had locked the doors, he said he couldn't remember. Oy.
    The thought of you eating an entire footlong sandwich for a "light snack" makes me happy I no longer work there.

I learned again today that a busy day helps the workday pass a lot faster, though it allows me less time to post on the forums.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Awesome user with default custom title The Heretic Azazel's Avatar
    I don't recall saying a footlong was a light snack.
    "They call it 'The American Dream' because you have to be asleep to believe it" - George Carlin

Your photo in the picture thread said so.

Btw, the drummer losing $400K sure puts your loss of $40 on your birthday into perspective doesn't it?

I learned today that its good to take a day off now and then, like I am today. I stayed up until 2AM playing GTA:IV, then slept in late until 10AM. It's now 10:30AM and I have a whole day to do nothing.

edit: and now that the day off is over: I actually spent the entire day doing almost nothing. Why do I feel like I'm wasting my life when I spend just one day loafing around?
    Last edited by Animeniax; Mon, 06-30-2008 at 11:57 AM.

Today I learnt just how ruthless mosquitoes can be. I went out into the bush for an hour and I must have at least a dozen or more bites. There's a cluster of 4 or 5 on the back left of my neck. But the most ridiculous one has to be the one on the middle knuckle of my right hand.

ouch, the middle knuckle one has to itch like a bitch
    -----------------

Actually, it itches the least since I caught the bastard in the act and killed it before it was done. The ones on my arms itch the most because I keep brushing up against things.

Today I learned that writing 6 thousand words in one sitting is not fun. I'm only sad I couldn't make it OVER NINE THOUSAND... but that's my next goal.
    Now 99% disease free!

Today I learned more about CSS coding. Moving onto PHP soon.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    Today I learned that I can hit 30mph on my stationary bike at a pretty high resistance setting, but can only sustain it for about 40 seconds before I have to drop back to about 15 and catch my breath.

My officemate and my supervisor both did 40+ mile death-tracks over the weekend on their actual bikes (riding up absurd ascents and such). The supervisor did 54 miles, which included a 1500 foot ascent over 3 miles, a 1000 foot ascent over a mile, and a 900 foot ascent over 2 miles.

I ... have no idea how they do it, and only the vaguest notion why they do it.

today i learned that all i had to do to make h264 videos run on my computer was clean it out a bit and install a new version of my codecs. my hi-res videos now run like clock work. smooth, beautiful clockwork