Page 47 of 77 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast

Thread: Today I learned...

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax
    So what's your answer to gross over-population with limited resources?
    Not to ignore the rest of your post, but this is the point. This mindset of having 'limited resources' is the problem. Yes of course, the Earth has limited resources but the unstated second part of your statement is unlimited wants and needs. Which is what the classical economic problem has been in Capitalism, and which the Capitalist economic system attemps to solve.

For me, I would say yes there are limited resources but not unlimited needs. I would say there are 'Basic Needs' and 'Luxury Wants'. In an ideal world both should be satisfied, but priority should be given to the Basic needs for everyone, rather than focusing on providing niche luxury goods that only a small albeit rich part of humanity consumes. In this way I think the planet has enough resources to satisfy the basic needs of people. Such as food, clothing, shelter, healthcare and education. In terms of resources the stuff is there. Its when everyone starts wanting an SUV to drive and having so much food that you grow fat and still throw more away and so on is when the problem begins. In this scenario, then yes, we are screwed.

But if governments focus on creating an environment where Basic needs are met first and foremost, then current populations can be supported. A lot of land for example isn't even being utilised for food production which could be. Like in Pakistan, which is the 15th largest agricultural producer in the world, yet a lot of the land there is not utilised for political reasons like feudalism. So its not that we don't have resources, just political issues to overcome. And halting populations to 1 child per family is asking for trouble, because of the reason I outlined in my earlier post.

I learned today that Phoenix12345 is brown (Pakistani or Indian, unless he means Latino which is light brown), which means 40% of the total population on the forums and 65% of the top posters on this site are brown (Pakistani or Indian).

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

that's actually pretty neat. for us brown people, anyway. how did you come to learn of phoenix's skin colour?

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I want to learn where your statistics come from. 40% of ~6000 members..... and 65% of top posters?

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by saman
    that's actually pretty neat. for us brown people, anyway. how did you come to learn of phoenix's skin colour?
    He confessed to it in another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian
    I want to learn where your statistics come from. 40% of ~6000 members..... and 65% of top posters?
    Numbers don't lie.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax
    He confessed to it in another thread.
    Also several times in the "Post Your Picture" thread.

Today I learned that some things just never live up to your expectations. I just saw a local band that sounded amazing when I first saw them last year, but sounded awful tonight. They performed badly, the sound setup was sloppy, and chose boring songs to use in their short setlist. I feel let down.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

It's not just them, many bands can have sound issues. There's this band called Chiodos <3 that are amazing live but if you look up some of their latest live vids the lead vocalist doesn't sound so good.

Anyway, today, I learned that The National Tests are gettng closer......
    little soul your dreams are waitin'
    crapping up...
    hold them closely
    never let go, never let go... <3

Banned
    Today I learned that scaling a business (or even a a business model for that matter) is hard if you're not prepared for it from previous knowledge or readings. A majority of the actual businesses out there are in fact easy to identify when comparing them to other newer more radical ones. Like Steel, oil, and real estate development. But the newer ones are just crazy. Facebook for example is having a hard time getting around not just being another tech baby and trying to grow up. So they recently hired Sheryl Sandberg (she grew and scaled Googles main AdWords program to grow on its own) with only the aid of a team of 10 people or less.

Starting a business. You learn many things about yourself you didn't know you could do.

Lasers? Cookies? FTW!
    (universally beloved
    moderator ex-emerita)
    Today I learned of the existence of spray-on glue. I also learned how to quilt, and made a kick-ass table runner, using spray-on glue instead of pins to hold my layers together. Awesome.

learned that duct tape can work just as good as stitches...

I learned that I'd totally do Michael Jackson, even now.
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

today i learned that sapphire creeps me out a lil , you know you wouldn't be the one doin the doin, but rather be recieving the doing....

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    "doing" is, by definition, somewhat ... err ... reciprocal.

No wai, I'd be doin all the doin', unless he offered otherwise of course.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire
    I learned that I'd totally do Michael Jackson, even now.
    What happened today (or yesterday) that made you come to that realisation?

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Probably Xan's Billie Jean, which linked me to Britains Got Talent's Michael Jackson tribute dancer, which linked me to the 90's MJ strutting his stuff to a Billie Jean remix on stage.

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar
    ... That ATT is BS. Cant order a free phone online because it wont let me move my number over... can't get a new number because then my mom will have to pay $180 for my line being cancelled...

and then after having 2 different people say i just need my mom to call customer service and authorize me to move my number.... now they say that even though its authorized i need it in writing from her, and it has to be notarized...

what the hell happened to customer service? wtf... needless to say i finished off my phone when i left the store by breaking it on the pavement. so now i'm phoneless.

Um, does anything ever go your way?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire
    Probably Xan's Billie Jean, which linked me to Britains Got Talent's Michael Jackson tribute dancer, which linked me to the 90's MJ strutting his stuff to a Billie Jean remix on stage.
    So basically you were completely unaware of why he was so famous in the first place?
    Dreaming impossible dreams.
    Sapphire is awesome!

No. I've sporadically had that song stuck in my head for at least.. 7 years? I just never realized I'd do him for it.

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Today (yesterday) I learned the correct way to play the song under discussion. Turns out I've had it wrong for the past year, and have been accenting the wrong notes (the first note of every 4 beats) instead of the first and fourth of the first bar.

Billie Jean's bass-line goes: ONE two three FOUR one two three four ONE two three FOUR one two three four

The song's funkiness comes from that misplaced beat. I guess since it comes "early" it subliminally effects you. Just makes you wanna dance or at least move something. It's really quite genius.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs