Page 22 of 253 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bitching Thread

Not everyone in the US has to take the SAT to get into a university. I attended a private university without ever taking one. But that's because I took the ACT instead.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

I'd Like for everyone to know in gotwoot that I finally got my guitar since i've been complaining about it =)

Well, now you have no other choice but to record some songs, and post them for us to download.

Wow. thanks for explaining guys, now I understand. Here in Québec, when you want to attend CEGEP or University, you dont pass any test to attend it. They only look at your marks in your previous years and the provincial exams you take at the end of the year in 10th and 11th grade.

And by the way what is an Ivy League college?

@ KitKat:
    Nope, not going to the USA for university. Planning to go to McGill University (you might have heard about it). But if I see next year that an English CEGEP is too hard for me might go to the Université de Montréal for french.

Talking about education, I got something to bitch about. Im so mad. I want to attend a french CEGEP since its easier for me but my parents wont let me. They are like you spend 12 years at a french school, now you should do your cegep and university in English. The world is in English, so you better get use to it. I tell them, I dont care. I am planning to live in Montréal, since I love this city and the people are great.

But studying in Enlgish is really hard. For an example, I was trying to do my friends math homework (she is in a english school) and I DONT UNDERSTAND ANYTHING. They have different names compare to the french one. In science, I learned all the scientific names in french. They are really different to the french ones.So how am I going to do next year? I dont even know my english verbs tenses, you guys might have noticed by reading my posts.

I envy my friends that are attending french CEGEP. The only thing to cheer me up about this CEGEP, is that Im going to be with my friends and that its close to my place. If I attended the french one, its in downtown so 1 hour of public transportation for me every day.

Hmm... What are you actually going to study once you get into the university?

The thing is that English is the language of science, and universities are places of science. I can't imagine how you could avoid English and English vocabulary to any extent in the world of science. Although perhaps I underestimate the determination of the French speaking people...

^ going into science and then into biology to study genetics. I want to be a geneticist.

I mean writing something in English is a problem for me. Writing an essay is a huge problem, that’s why I always ask a friend to correct it for me. I know it’s not good, but I have too.

Or even reading in English when it’s in advance English is hard. For an example, reading my friends text books, or solving a math problem is hard for me. When I do them in French it’s the easiest thing in life. Something like http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread...highlight=math is easy. I am talking about harder ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    The thing is that English is the language of science, and universities are places of science. I can't imagine how you could avoid English and English vocabulary to any extent in the world of science. Although perhaps I underestimate the determination of the French speaking people...
    Scientific terms are different not all of them but there are some. I mean I have to learn everything again. For an example, I have to learn that parabolle is parabola in English (this is an easy one). It’s going to be really hard. I am going to be so lost when the teacher is going to be talking.

But big problem is writing. My parents are like well do the tests in French. You see, here you are allowed to choose to do your test in French or English even though you are attending an English or French University. But i dont see the point of taking an english course and they writting the exam in French.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    Well, now you have no other choice but to record some songs, and post them for us to download.

I most likely not, Gotwoot people are too harsh when it comes to critzing
    And i still gotta learn but im learning fast
    And Yes We sorta formed a band, me and my friends...

Awesome user with default custom title The Heretic Azazel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AssertnFailure
    Not everyone in the US has to take the SAT to get into a university. I attended a private university without ever taking one. But that's because I took the ACT instead.
    What did you make? I made a 19. They give the ACT way too early in the morning, so I would roll through the first half of a part and get tired of reading, and just guess on all the second halves.

Quote Originally Posted by KitKat
    Hehe, I had to respond to your rant. As a disclaimer, I really know absolutely nothing about SAT's or what's on them. So all I have to offer is speculation.

To start, I'd like to say that every single job I have applied for so far has had as one of it's core requirements "Good communication skills". I'd say that employers weight this even more highly than technical skills, and I'm in a field that's about as math-y and abstract as it gets, without going into pure research. At this point, you may think that academics are the be-all and end-all of success, but really they don't mean much. People skills, networking, and being able to write well and express yourself eloquently are the key to getting a good job. I'd say that the changes in the SAT's are a natural reflection of that, putting more emphasis on communication and less on math.

My thesis project this year was to build a robot. Interestingly enough, the people who did the best in the class were not the top students, the ones who get the highest marks, but they were the average students, the ones who never really stand out. So, don't take SAT scores too seriously. Academics are a good measure of how much knowledge you can cram into your brain and regurgitate, but what really matters is being able to apply that knowledge and being creative in how you apply it.
    I agree completely. Asian parents always stress the importance of academic achievements but always neglect the significance of social skills. They think a 95% average in high school means their kid is set for life. It's quite a shame that those parents can't see beyond a textbook.

That's why I'm just enjoying my last year of high school right now. Even without busting my ass off, my marks are already high enough to get me into any university in Canada. So why work so hard when I don't have to? Exactly 3 months to go so I might as well enjoy it while it lasts.

Yeah I took the ACT too, twice actually. The first time I made a 19, but as you said Heretic, it's way too early in the morning to be able to focus well on the reading part. The second time I fell asleep on the math part... Needless to say I f'd that test up. I made like a 16 I think.

^The ACT is on 20 or 100?

I think 32 is the highest you can get. I can't remember if its 32 or 36...

Man I hate it when you do something wrong or you don't do something good enough and people bitch at you like it's going to change it.

It's like I fucking know already, get off my back! WTF!

Quote Originally Posted by IFingHateTonTon
    I think 32 is the highest you can get. I can't remember if its 32 or 36...
    oh ~34.... But what is the difference of ACT and SAT?

@Divinity:
    That is my every day life with my studies.But thank gosh they arent as bad as asian parents.

Guess I should bitch about something too.

On Friday I had to do a Powerpoint presentation. I made my thing on Powerpoint 2003 and used the most basic of animations and slide transitions. When I brought it to school none of them worked on Powerpoint 2000. I booted the thing up and I literally yelled out "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!" None of the slides worked right and I had to present using editing mode, meaning I had to manually select slides and highlight text. Seriously, WTF!

Upstate, south side, west region, east of the 7-11.
    @ BoC. Wow that really sucks. This would happen alot in my A.P govt class, the teacher was obssesed with giving projects; many times it was always easier to make a powerpoint, instead of getting a project board and getting really messy with glue. The problem was we had a brokedown computer with an outdated powerpoint from the library. I just stuck with the board and glue.

Now to my complaint. I ordered papa johns and waited for an hour and 10 minutes for its arrival. Supposedbly the driver was lost.... but I have ordered from here many times, they should know were I live. After that the delivery man forgot my two twenty ounce drinks and the order of wings; this right here ruined my night. Or it ruined yesterday. This is the second time this has happened.
    Last edited by drims; Sun, 04-02-2006 at 10:40 PM.

Made by IFHTT
    “Faith and reason are like two wings on which the human spirit rises to the contemplation of truth; and God has placed in the human heart a desire to know the truth—in a word, to know himself—so that, by knowing and loving God, men and women may also come to the fullness of truth about themselves.” Pope John Paul II

I'm convinced that my roommates are stealing my fabric softener.

I can recall about 3 different occasions where I go to do laundry and notice my fabric softener missing, and I dont know how that couldve happened.....

So today I go to target to pick up some more detergent and fabric softener, and then just a few hours ago I go to do my laundry and.......WTF my softener's gone?!

I just don't get it.......
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Perhaps they're just operating under a "what's yours is mine" mentality? Or they think you're just a really nice guy who keeps buying them fabric softener .

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain

Angry Grr..

Mother fucking bureacratic Bullshit at my unviersity!

So I'm studying abroad this semester, meaning I'm halfway around the world from anyone I need to really talk to about my academic future.

I go through the trouble of e-mailing, calling (super long distance) both my Dean, the Dean of Study Abroad and my Academic Advisor. I lay out my plans for the upcoming fall semester. "Sounds great!" "Yeah."

Me: "Can I enroll in these courses online, from Italy, during the regular Pre-enroll period?
    All of them: "Yes. You shouldn't have a problem, being that you're a senior next year!"

Well guess what? I DID have a FUCKING PROBLEM YOU STUPID PIECES OF SHIT!

Not only did I only get 2 of the 6 courses I hoped to take, but 2 of the ones I really wanted said 'You cannot pre-enroll for these courses, you must seek the professor's approval first'. The courses I got a fucking freshman could have got into. So much for giving priority to upperclassmen...

Now, gee, I could have been working on that months ago if the fucking monkeys in the admnistration hadn't just nodded like goddamn bobble-heads! But now I'm here, impossibly far away to actually go meet with these professors, and now I have to beg them to let me into their course, along with every Tom Dick and Sally who just decided to take these courses on a whim this morning...

This shit pisses me off to no end. I am paying these cocksuckers far out the ass to get a quality education and they can't even check to see whether I can enroll online or not? Where the fuck did they get their education from anyhow? Normally I'm all nice and friendly, but when I get back to school (sometime in the summer) the entire college administration is going to get very used to seeing me each and every day at their offices until I get into the courses I want. And if i don't get into those courses, I'm going right over their heads to the Board of Trustees. They don't care if they piss off a student or two? Well they'll be pissing their fucking pants when me and the other couple hundred kids who got FUCKED by their system crash a Trustees meeting (I will personally make sure both the university and local press covers the event) and specific names (along with copies of e-mails) get circulated.

I will have my justice or I will annihilate everyone who promised me otherwise

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Man, you are seriously pissed off and for a reason. That's messed up. It easy for those people to just say "yes, sure", and then forget the whole thing. But it's a different thing for those who suffer from the consequences. Even the cold, uncaring "I don't know. Go find out yourself" would be infinitely better than just making a guess that can have a bad outcome.

I hope you can sort the issue out somehow without losing too many nights' worth of sleeping.