View Poll Results: Should the Signature size limit be increased to preserve quality?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, please increase teh sig size limit

19 50.00%
  • Nope, sig size limits fine as is.

19 50.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sig Size Limit

Sig Size Limit

Hey all hoping some Gotwoot admins are reading. I'm prety sure the Signature size limit was above 100 kb before the change over.

I'm posting this thread to request that the sig limit be changed to 200 kb, because, all my signatures saved in PNG form are about 117 kb, and has to be saved as JPG to work on Gotwoots forums, and this severly reduces the quality of the sigs I've made.

Anyway, I'm making a poll to see if anyone else feels this way, if so, please vote for the change, and could the admins please change the sig limit. =)

EDIT: BoC poses a great idea, please vote also for the increase of the dimensions to 400x120 =)
    Last edited by Lucifus; Thu, 03-16-2006 at 10:27 PM.
    Don't believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you.

Well, bigger is better and it can't hurt so I agree.

I voted yes, not just for the filesize but also for dimensions possibly. I'd like to see a 400x120 or so dimension limit because that proportion opens up many more options.

I also totally agree w. BoC. With the new board set-up the sigs can be bigger and not cause as much clutter as they would have in the old boards.

In total agreement with Board of command, I could do so much better with my renders.

I voted yes as well, even just small amount like 20 pixels allows for much more expansion with using renders. I find that alot of the times that larger renders are smashed or not enough of the render can be displayed... If we don't get it, I'll live, but it would be nice.

All votes in favor of change so far.

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    I haven't decided what to vote for yet, and here's why I'm hung up:

the problem with taller sigs is that it really spaces out posts, making pages longer, adding 20% more bandwith usage per post. If you even look at this topic you'll see what I'm talking about. I can barely fit two entire posts (complete with time/date and 'On/Off' and 'Quote' functions) on my screen at one time. We're talking about 1-4 line posts.

The problem with bigger sigs is that the also tend to 'dominate' the forum because they're simply bigger and more attractive than alot of posts. The main thing in a person's post should be their words, not their sig.

On the other hand, I do like the idea of having more room to work with for sigs and all that....

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

I voted yes, but I don't really need sigs to be larger as I prefer it to be smaller than huge. As long as I have the option to have it larger to fit my needs.

I haven't voted yet, but I am leaning toward no. In some forums, sig size has gotten WAY out of hand. It is way too busy at the bottom of each post. Some have little clubs, cartoons, and the sigs become stacked and of varying size. I don't know if I am looking at a screen shot of some sort or a sig. I kinda like how everyone has a sig that is just that a sig. Nothing too fancy, just simple.

edit: Oh, yeah I agree with masamuneehs!
    Last edited by FrogKing; Fri, 03-17-2006 at 01:49 AM.
    Currently watching: One Piece, Black Lagoon, Bleach, Death Note, Suzumiya Haruhi,
    The 12 Kingdoms, and Soukou no Strain (kinda)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~#blood-scanlations~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's a whole different case. We're just talking about increasing the filesize limit or the dimensions limit. Having multiple banners with animation and such is indeed out of hand but that's not what you're voting on here.

I realize that, but increase a little here add a second banner there....I think they are good right now. I am impressed with what people can come up with on the limited canvas.
    Currently watching: One Piece, Black Lagoon, Bleach, Death Note, Suzumiya Haruhi,
    The 12 Kingdoms, and Soukou no Strain (kinda)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~#blood-scanlations~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Again, 20 pixels is very different from 2 banners... Yes, people have adapted and created some very impressive stuff using the current dimensions, but I'm sure we'll see much better looking stuff if we have an extra 20 pixels to work with. Look at how much the sigs have improved since the limit went from 400x80 to 400x100. I do realize that 400x80 was kinda absurb, but like now, people back then adapted to that and created a lot of good stuff. I'm not saying 400x100 is bad, I'm just saying it could be improved.

The concern is like masamuneehs pointed out, the forum becomes too graphic for its own good. The sig size is not the reason for why you can only see 2 posts at a time; that's caused by the profile stuff on the left. Even if I don't have anything in my signature field, my post still takes up the same amout of space. If you look at FrogKing's post, he probably has the smallest profile size possible, yet the sig banner still doesn't reach the bottom of his post area. There is a good 30 pixels unused under every sig banner (except mine of course, but that can be fixed) so I don't think it would hurt much to up the limit a bit. Also, bandwidth shouldn't be much of a problem nowadays because we're only talking about 10 to 20 KB more per image.
    Last edited by Board of Command; Fri, 03-17-2006 at 02:30 AM.

I voted no, because I'm a lousy sig artist, and probably would have no use for the extra space.

And no, I'm not particularly selfish (or am I?).

Why is this thread even here? If anything it should be in the Suggestions Forum. This thread being here won't accomplish much, since most admins don't even step in to the fanart section.

I voted no. The sig size was increased not long ago if it is increased again now people will be satisfied for a couple of months and then want another resize.

It is simlpy unecessary to resize the sig dimensions.

About the 100kb limit, is there anyone exept Lucifus that got the problem of not being able to make their sigs below 100kb in PNG? Until there are more people that got the same problem nothing is gonna happen on that either.

This is a losing battle.

I vote "no" as well. I'm an avid sig maker as well, and I think 400 x 100 is enough for people to work on.
    "Our hearts are full of memories but not all of them reflect the truth. The heart isn't a recording device. Even important memories change with time. They warp or fade, leaving us with but a shadow of what we hoped to remember." 天の道を行き、全てを司る。これは僕の世界。

yes, cause i make my sigs pretty big:

just to show a few

and i the extra bandwidth doesnt matter with my 8.2mbps ( soon 20mbps) connection :P

The vote is for the increase of the Sig Size limit, cause the JPG Quality sucks. 20 Kb more on a sig I doubt would affect Dial Up. I'm okay if we don't get teh 400x120, but it would give us alot of room for improvement.

Just please stop voting no for the SIg Size limit....

my sigs are always png, cause yeah jpg sux, really blurry mess