Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping your PC safe

Blog Entries

Keeping your PC safe

A surprising amount of people I spoke to didn't even know the basics to keeping your computer secure. But I'm pretty sure most of you guys know all this already but after all this is still for the uninformed.

1.) Stay off IE

I can't stress how much IE sucks. Security advisors have found a large number of exploits that can be used to make Internet Explorer launch arbitrary programs or execute any kind of code with local user privileges; there are a whole lot of other security problems as well. Instead start using Firefox: http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/ Firefox is a great Internet browser mainly because it's open sourced and they have a very fast
    bug/security updating team.

2.) Get a firewall

Not having a firewall is like leaving your car unlocked with the keys in and the engine on. You're just asking for it. Sooner or later it'll catch up to you because hackers always look for that one unprotected computer to use for there bidding. Personally I use Zone Alarm:
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...=dbtopnav_zass

3.) Stay Current

Stay updated with window updates a patched system is a secure one. Windows has a Automatic Updates option that you can enable. This will keep your computer updated with all current released patches or you can visit there update site: http://update.microsoft.com/windowsu...&&thankspage=5

4.) Get some antispyware/adware programs

Spyware is software that gathers user information on the computer it infects. It can gather anything from email addresses, passwords and even credit card numbers as well as browsing habits. Spyware is similar to a Trojan horse because it attempts to run in the background processes of your computer. Not only can it eat up bandwith but also RAM.
    I find that Spybot S & D works great with spyware infections it can be found here: http://www.safer-networking.org/

Adware is incredibly annoying because it can direct popups to your system and monitor your web useage. A great program to rid yourself of this nuisance is Adware: http://www.lavasoft.de/support/download/

5.) Use common sense

Become aware when your surfing the web. Don't click or run programs you have no knowledge of and then wonder why you got a virus.

Be sure to virus scan. I found an awesome Online Virus Scan that works great http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

This is pretty much all I could think of right now. All the programs that were listed are free and work great.
    Last edited by DO; Mon, 04-17-2006 at 12:10 PM.

umm this thread is so random lol but thx for your advice man

ty psj for this sig

Doesn't this belong in the general support section? Good stuff anyway.

I would recommend using some sort of virus shield. Avast and AVG are free anti-virus programs. Can't say much about them though since I have McAfee.

Hmmm, not sure if this goes here or not and it's random, but nice info man. This would really have helped me out awhile ago when I didn't know much.

Blog Entries
    Yeah i think it does belong in general support. But I'm going to use this thread to link people who ask stuff on the IRC channel. Plus everyone is getting sick of my security speeches as they put it

That place over there........ahh never mind
    you'd think Common sense and not using IE would be one in the same. I mean everyone should have that knowlege.

R.I.P Captain America.

thanks for the info....
    ___
    ---------------------------- "THE DROPOUT CREW"--------------------------------
    ________Deblas, IfingHateTonTon, RyougaZell, dragonrage.________

________ we may fuck up alot but we always pull thru.

I only use my router's firewall because it has proven to be pretty secure. I used to run Sygate firewall alongside my router's firewall but Sygate has never picked up anything (whereas it used to before I got a router), so to save some RAM I just use my router's firewall. (D-Link DI-624)

I tried installing Spybot a while ago but I think it doesn't like Win XP x64 very much... I'll give it another shot some time.

For Linux people who need a firewall try out Firestarter it works great for me and its easy to set up / configure.

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    moved and stickied in General Support.
    -m

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Well, if you know what your doing, even IE can be safe ( since i only use IE, and never had any problems )

also get Spyware Blaster.
    While Spybot and Ad-Aware remove spy/adware, Spyware Blaster will try and keep it off your pc:

The most important step you can take is to secure your system. And SpywareBlaster is the most powerful protection program available.

Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted software.
    Block spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox.
    Restrict the actions of potentially unwanted sites in Internet Explorer.

SpywareBlaster can help keep your system spyware-free and secure, without interfering with the "good side" of the web.

And unlike other programs, SpywareBlaster does not have to remain running in the background.

Download:
    JavaCool Software

Thanks for the tip darkshadow, I'll check it out if I have time. Although, already have Spyware Doctor, AVG, and Avast so I don't really need it.

If I could change my name
    to Saberfire... I would
    Some things to add the following are some of the programs I use (or have seen used and worked)

System Information for Windows
    Run the executable, and in a few seconds this little utility will tell you more than you could imagine about your computer's hardware, operating system, installed programs, and so on. What you do with that information is up to you--the tool doesn't offer diagnoses or advice.
    Download link

CCleaner
    Over time, your PC gets gunked up with old browser cache files, cookies, and other bits and pieces. CCleaner finds this digital detritus and zaps it.
    Download link

Spybot Search & Destroy Spyware:
    Though no tool is a cure-all, Spybot is a powerful antidote to many ills. In addition to finding and deleting spyware, Spybot can continuously monitor your system for changes, giving you an opportunity to permit or disallow critical Registry modifications before they happen.
    Download link

Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Personal
    The free version performs on-demand scans only, not continuous monitoring. But Ad-Aware catches some programs that Spybot misses (and vice versa).
    Download Link (Click on "download now")

Microsoft Windows Defender
    Yes, you do need another antispyware app. Though this beta software (formerly known as Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware) expires on December 31, 2006, it's worth downloading. Microsoft's tool catches spyware that other programs don't--including the dangerous rootkit carried by some Sony music CDs that were released last year.
    Download link (Click "continue" as it requires a valid copy of windows)

ZoneAlarm
    This firewall keeps watch over inbound and outbound Internet connections, helping avert attacks by hackers and spyware programs. It offers greater control and is easier to use than Windows XP's built-in firewall. Make sure that you download the basic firewall, which is free for personal and nonprofit use, instead of the trial version of ZoneAlarm Pro.
    Download link(Click on "download now")

Anonymizer
    This company hosts a free anonymous browsing service at its home page. Enter a URL, and Anonymizer displays the page you want--without revealing your IP address, your cookies, or any other information to the sites you surf.
    Download Link(For free trial but you can see int he top right hand part you can do it for free labeled "FREE Private Surfing")

GRC Shields Up
    Shields Up is a convenient browser-based tool that checks for common vulnerabilities, such as open ports and hackable file-sharing services.
    Main web page (from here go to proceed)

Trend Micro HouseCall
    If installing antivirus and antispyware programs isn't an option, do yourself a favor and visit this site regularly. Trend Micro's software runs in your browser to scan for and eliminate malware on your computer.
    Main Page (you can proceed as you like from here)

AirDefense Personal Lite
    You should never lose sight of the security risks involved in using Wi-Fi. This simple program alerts you whenever you connect to an insecure wireless network or to a hotspot that you haven't designated as safe.
    Web page (fill it in and download)

Avast Home Edition
    This easy-to-use antivirus scanner is free for noncommercial or home use. Unlike online scanners, it can perform a boot-time virus scan (the most effective way to catch viruses) and will continually monitor your system for threats. Avast is free, but you must register at the company's Web site to use the program beyond its 90-day trial period.
    Download Page (Pick the version you want)
    Last edited by Deadfire; Tue, 04-18-2006 at 07:46 PM. Reason: To add Links
    image fail!

The only real piece of advise you need to follow is common sense. Clicking flashing banners that say Click Here You are a Winner! usually is a bad idea.

I'am using avast and its been catching things that norton failed to for the 2 years I have used it. I DO prefer Microsoft's anti-spyware client to any other scanner, but seeing how my version is going to expire, another good spyware/adware finder is webroot's scanner. (cant remember the name) It scored a high score compared to its compeitition.

Most of the best programs have already been mentioned. Firefox and Spybot are definite must-haves. Another good program to have in your article is Hijack this. When you're having trouble finding out what's causing trouble in your computer this program will work wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by BOARD_of_command
    I only use my router's firewall because it has proven to be pretty secure. I used to run Sygate firewall alongside my router's firewall but Sygate has never picked up anything (whereas it used to before I got a router), so to save some RAM I just use my router's firewall. (D-Link DI-624)
    Generally, a hardware firefall is a better solution. To make an analogy, a software firewall is like putting a security system in your home; a hardware firewall is like putting a deadbolt in your door. It's simpler, easier, and (usually) more effective. Just my opinion.
    "Samsonlonghair - The Defender of the Oppressed And Shunned!" -Kraco

I'm glad I read this. I just scanned my computer for spyware and found that I have about 7000 spyware infections.

Does anyone with AVG know how to prevent it from automatically starting when Windows starts?

to Saberfire... I would
    Quote Originally Posted by naruto49
    I'm glad I read this. I just scanned my computer for spyware and found that I have about 7000 spyware infections.
    IF you truly found that many I would suggest you reinstall windows as removing that many can cause windows to be very unstable. (As if it wasn't already)

Quote Originally Posted by xDarkMaster
    Does anyone with AVG know how to prevent it from automatically starting when Windows starts?
    There does not appear to be a simple disable option in the free AVG software but there is a way around it that is easier than uninstalling and reinstalling the software and this is to prevent it from starting automatically. If you uninstall it then you will have to download all the patches and updates and reconfigure it again.

To prevent it from starting click on start, run and type MSCONFIG then click on the startup tab and you will see all the programs that start automatically when the computer starts.

Now just remove the tick from the program called Avgcc, click OK and then restart your computer.

Any other questions?
    Last edited by Deadfire; Thu, 04-27-2006 at 04:46 PM.
    image fail!

Upstate, south side, west region, east of the 7-11.
    I got one Deadfire. You know what I could do so my computers usage doesnt get so high from playing online game "starcraft".

Made by IFHTT
    “Faith and reason are like two wings on which the human spirit rises to the contemplation of truth; and God has placed in the human heart a desire to know the truth—in a word, to know himself—so that, by knowing and loving God, men and women may also come to the fullness of truth about themselves.” Pope John Paul II

to Saberfire... I would
    Quote Originally Posted by drims
    I got one Deadfire. You know what I could do so my computers usage doesnt get so high from playing online game "starcraft".
    Don't play it?

The games are designed to run at 100% usage to get the "best" results.
    remember how old the games are and what the top-of-the-range CPUs were like back then.
    Last edited by Deadfire; Mon, 05-15-2006 at 10:41 AM.
    image fail!