Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Customized computer?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    It's actually a girl so maybe that helps to explain the dinky mouse.

Or actually, no. Nothing can justify that.

Quote Originally Posted by Board of Command
    It's actually a girl so maybe that helps to explain the dinky mouse.

Or actually, no. Nothing can justify that.
    I got confused by the site name "jamesthevicar" so I figured it was a guy. Didn't realize it's probably just a stock photo you were using as an example. My bad.

Girl hands cramp up and get carpal tunnel syndrome a lot easier than man hands, so using a mini mouse like that, while cute, will end up giving her hand problems.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Yeah that was just a picture I Googled up.

I've tried using that mouse a few times and it's a huge pain even without getting carpal tunnel.

Circuit City recently had a sale on various mouses.

The G7 was on sale for 25$ and the G5 for 20$.

If you want a really good gaming mouse and do not mind using a wired one then the Copperhead is priced at 25$.

The main problem is finding them, it look me about 3 days of searching various Circuit City in town to find my G7.

edit: my mistake on the pricing, according to my receipt the G7 was 30$ but that's still much cheaper than the standard prices.

So for the cost of gas and wear and tear on your car, was it more expensive trying to find this G7 at Circuit City than if you just bought it at normal price at Best Buy?

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

uh considering that it took me about 30 minute to get to the different locations and the fact that my car has pretty good mileage the answer would have to be yes.

edit: and beside, i manage to find 2 copperheads and another G7 for my friends so it's not like i drove around just to buy 1 mouse.

I wasn't making fun. I've been guilty plenty of times of trying to save $5-10 on the price of something, but spent more than that in gas, time, and effort trying to locate the item for the lower price. Plus, I'll wait and wait before buying something to save $10, but I've wasted thousands of dollars on other crap that I could have saved. Something in my mindset makes me live that way.

Case in point, I spent $550 on a 7800GTX that I used for 4 months before I let my PC sit for 8 months unused. Meanwhile I waited 2 months to buy a memory stick for my PSP while I waited for the price to drop $5.

I might need to go mouse shopping, myself, sooner or later. My trusty old Logitech Dual Optical, which has served me valiantly for years, is not only getting weary but sometimes the pointer suddenly jumps to a random direction without warning. It's especially annoying in Photoshop, I can tell you. No amount of opening the mouse and cleaning it meticulously helped to remove the problem.

Too bad mice seem to be 50% more expensive here than in the USA. (But so is everything else, so it's not really any surprise...)

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    My mouse only has a search button, but I didn't bother installing drivers for it, so windows treats it as a back button. Much more handy than the search function IMO. I think we've got a relatively low variety of mice here in Australia. They probably only sell half the stuff you guys might get in the US or elsewhere. It's also actually hard to find a decent wired mouse. The shops usually either sell really cheap generic ones, or jump straight to wireless and work from there. How reliable are wireless mice? I've never had one, and I don't know if I'll ever need one, so I just bought wired versions for simplicity's sake.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

It's kind of strange, in my opinion, that the prices of the cordless mice are getting down so much that they can be even cheaper than the old fashioned mice with tails. I'm still pretty much only looking at corded ones, though, at least initially. I don't trust the cordless ones, plus a mouse having a cord has never bothered me in the slightest. However, I'm thinking of visiting a few shops and stores, hoping they will have mice on display so that I could feel how they fit my hand. If they happen to have the cordless variety as well, I might check them out as well. I guess they must have developed a lot in half a decade, anyway...

@Animeniax

I know what you mean since i've done that myself but in this particular case it was a good deal since the mouses were at 40% of the original price. Plus it's nice to know in case you go to a Circuit city by chance so you can head on over to the mouse area and maybe get lucky and save some cash.

@Buffalobiian

Wireless mouses are usually pretty decent for regular usage but if you want precision for things such as playing FPS or doing art work on the comp then i wouldn't recommend it. The high end wireless like the G7 is quite good but in the end having a high end wired mouses is much better for that kind of things if you want perfect precision.
    Last edited by Dark Dragon; Tue, 04-22-2008 at 10:40 AM.

Well speaking of customizations, here's my latest creation:

Basically a pair of desk fans made from 120mm fans powered by a 6V adapter.

How many CFMs is that desk fan pushing? At what dB level?

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax
    How many CFMs is that desk fan pushing? At what dB level?
    http://pdfcatalog.digikey.com/T073/SectL.pdf

They're not commercial computer fans. Based on this data sheet here, my fans are rated at 115 CFM and 41.5 dBA. That's running at full speed though, which is 12V @ 0.72A. My adapter is only supplying 6V @ 0.175 A to each fan, so they're running well below nominal specs. They're still quite loud though. Each fan pushes more air than a typical 120mm computer fan running at full blast. These fans aren't designed for quietness because they're industrial grade stuff that's not meant to be put into a computer case.

Part number 4710KL-04W-B50.

Dang, 41.5dB each at max load.

I plan to install a PS2 into the rolling drawer chest under my office desk. I could install some fans into the chest to keep the setup cool while completely concealed. I'd definitely use quieter fans though, to keep it on the down low.

Yeah. I don't think I'll be selling my 13" desk fan anytime soon to replace it with a pair of 120mm computer case fans...

Even if the casefan fan has a superior cfm to dB ratio?? It's Earth Day today. You should do your part by converting to the energy efficient casefan fan, and ditch that old energy-guzzling desk fan.

Well, well. After much pondering I ended up buying MX518. I was about to buy Razer Deathadder, which seemed like a miracle mouse under 50 euros, but after deeper research in the web wonderland I found out it's only a miracle mouse as long as you keep the dpi setting at max (1800). Lower it and it becomes "a piece of shit" like an endless cadre of people colourfully described it in various places. I didn't need a mouse with adjustable sensitivity that you can't adjust without rendering the mouse from great to poor, so I decided to buy this 3 years old thing that apparently has no such grand flaws unless you happen to be one of those unlucky bastards that have a mobo incompatible with it and are thus screwed for life (the life of the mobo anyway).

Now I pray I'll never see the symptoms those people kept describing...

I don't even install the setpoint software, so mine's at whatever is default dpi.

edit: oh weird, you don't need the setpoint software to change the dpi setting. I think mine's on 800.

edit 2: does anyone else think using the dpi change feature in FPSes is a form of cheating, or at least a somewhat cheap tactic?
    Last edited by Animeniax; Thu, 04-24-2008 at 02:26 PM.