Page 29 of 52 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: Customized computer?

Quote Originally Posted by Board of Command
    I remember my first time mounting a socket 775 processor as well. It feels like you're breaking the CPU socket.
    Hehe yeah. I remember that too. So was mounting the Thermalright 120 cooler on my motherboard with the x shaped plate on the bottom of the motherboard...those spring screws (dont know the technical term) were a bitch and a half to install. I was using a screw driver and it slipped and I nearly ended up punching a whole through my motherboard!

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I replaced two Antec Tri-Cool fans in my P182 case today with 2 120mm Nexus fans running at 7v. The quietness is outstanding! I guess I'll hear the real results when I leave it on tonight as I sleep. Good as it is, the lack of a reassuring hum will take some getting used to.

I wonder what it'll sound like when my Thermalright HR-01 PLUS arrives...probably not much, since I'm pretty sure C2D fans are fairly quiet at 800rpm anyway.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

I run all the fans on my always-on system at 5V and it's near silent. I don't hear it at all when I sleep. My main system, on the other hand...that's a different story.

What fans are they? I might do that if I ever build such a system in the future. Nexus fans only start reliably at 6.5V, so I used 7 (fairly good balance between noise and cooling, since my NB/system temp is idling at around 50C anyway).

Rear one is a Yate Loon D12SL-12, front one is a Cooler Master TLF-S12. The CPU heatsink is a Thermaltake V1 with the fan running at absolute minimum speed, which is obtained with around 3V (5V fed into the built-in rheostat).

Every 120x120x25 fan I've ever tried has been able to start at 5V or less.

I like the white noise of the hum of my PC fans. It drowns out the crickets, neighbors, and gunfire.

I'm going to try for a silent PC next, thanks for the info on the quiet fans.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Apparently Nexus ones are are also made by YateLoon. They're rated at 6.5v, and some people have samples had had some trouble starting at 5v, but I guess it's individually based. If you've got a fan that starts at 5v no problem, then it should always start at 5v. If another fan from the same batch happened to not quite start, then that problem should always happen to it every time. That's what I think should theoretically happen anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian
    Apparently Nexus ones are are also made by YateLoon. They're rated at 6.5v, and some people have samples had had some trouble starting at 5v, but I guess it's individually based. If you've got a fan that starts at 5v no problem, then it should always start at 5v. If another fan from the same batch happened to not quite start, then that problem should always happen to it every time. That's what I think should theoretically happen anyway.
    D12SL-12 definitely starts at 5V. I'm not sure about D12BL-12.

I think some Nexus fans (orange ones) used to be rebranded D12SL-12, but they've switched it up over time.

Talking about fans, have any of you encountered noise problems with mounting fans horizontally? When my P182 still had the TriCools, the top blowing fan was making a ticking noise while the other vertical exhaust wasn't. I thought it was just a fan problem, but when I changed to Nexus in the same mounting position, the top fan was clicking again. It seemed to get louder and louder compared to a few days ago when I got it, so I took it out and placed it in the front.

(Moved from position 1 to 2. Note: NOT my computer setup.)

The clicking noise is now gone. If the fan was working without that clicking sound, then theoretically noise should go up with the new setup since the fan is closer to my ear. However, since it WASN'T as quiet being horizontal, this current position sounds better.

Again, generally speaking, cooling should be better like this too, since a push-pull system is more effective than a double-pull one. I have a feeling it's not so in my comp though. the 9800GTX+ is a long graphics card, much longer than the one in the pic, so some of the air that my front fan is pushing will go underneath and some will go on top, across the CPU and out the back.

A double-pull like I had before would have forced air over the top as it pulled.

So does anybody else have any issues with horizontal mounting? I think it depends on the bearing type as well, since sleeves suffer more wear and tear or something mounted cross-ways due to loss of lubrication.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Fri, 04-10-2009 at 12:29 AM.

Sleeve bearing is more suitable for vertical mounting.
    Ball bearing is more suitable for horizontal mounting.

I think a majority of 120mm fans are sleeve bearing, so you get that issue.

Yeah, these guys are sleeves, and cooling did suffer. After idling a while, the CPU fan cranks up to 1500rpm. Guess I really do need that HR-01 PLUS that's arriving in a few weeks after all.

What's your CPU? HR-01 Plus should be able to work with minimal airflow. Even the Ultra-120 Extreme with its tightly packed fins works fine with very little airflow. Run whatever fan you have at 5V and enjoy the silence.

C2D E6600 @ 2.4GHz.

I was hoping to run it passively, but depending on how well it runs, I may strap on another undervolted 120mm fan like you said.

The best thing to do would have been to attach a fan duct between the exhaust fan and the heatsink, perfectly balancing cooling with noise.

Too bad, it's like impossible to find a fan duct here. If I thought of this earlier I would have asked someone from overseas to get me this since they just came over recently from Hong Kong (not entirely sure, but they should have a higher chance of stocking it).

(edit: fan worked its way down to 1300rpm now).

E6600 @ stock only has a 65W TDP. You can definitely run it passive. My voltmodded Radeon 4850 puts out more way than 65W and I'm running that passively.

The HR-01's fin design is very suitable for passive cooling. It's like Scythe Ninja.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Back to the SSDs:
    I just received a quotation for IDE/PATA drives in MLC and SLC, why that old standard? well because I need to upgrade some laptops and desktops that do not have SATA... and I think I'm not the only one with that need.

Regarding the evolution for SSDs:
    X25-E and M have seen prices drops, both received new firmwares to take care of some bugs.

OCZ has been working hard in bettering their Vertex drives that seem to be the hot thing, but only if you're ready to spend lots of money in an almost beta drive...

Another field of development is PCI-E SSD drives. Here we talk 5 to 10 years before having something for the end user. In fact it depends on how SATA evolves to cope with SSD bandwidth progress.

I'm still waiting for the end of the year, I guess things will be a lot clearer by then.

Also OCZ should launch a SLC version of their Vertexes, SLC being trouble free and the Indilinx cached controller being quite good, it might be a good drive, although pricey because of the SLC precisely...

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Do SSDs nowadays write slower or faster than your 7200rpm in general?

I was actually confused whether it was "SSDs are slow are writing and fast at reading", or "SSDs are slower at writing than reading (but still faster than our spinning heads and platters.)

Quote Originally Posted by Board of Command
    E6600 @ stock only has a 65W TDP. You can definitely run it passive. My voltmodded Radeon 4850 puts out more way than 65W and I'm running that passively.

The HR-01's fin design is very suitable for passive cooling. It's like Scythe Ninja.
    Well that's strange. I installed it today. The current setup is passive HR-01+ passive, 7v Nexus 120mm intake & 7v Nexus 120mm exhaust. If I run both cores to 100%, the temp maxes out at 70C. I haven't checked if the safety downclocking kicked in at that temp, but it's autumn/fall here right now. So those temps are WAY too hot.

You mentioned that you should be wary about putting too much thermal paste on. I wonder if I did that. Thermalright's 200x200 pixel picture isn't exactly a bit help neither.

----------------------
    Stuck the 7v fan on the HS directly instead after reseating it with what I'd call a thin layer of paste. Now I max @ 54C. Don't know how you do it BoC.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Thu, 04-30-2009 at 10:02 AM.

SSD's read faster, however the write speed isn't really any improvement over past technologies, and ofcourse you only have a finite amount of writes with them.

As for thermal paste, if a bunch squeezed out to the sides when mounting your heatsink/fan you might have put too much on... as a general rule when I'm applying thermal paste, I generally squirt very small amounts as dots spread accross the surface of the chip using only enough that it will spread out to cover the majority of the chip face while keeping the layer of paste very thin. All paste is for is to facilitate the transfer of heat to the heatsink. It does dry up and go bad after a while as well, however the thinner the layer, the better it will work as time goes on and it drys out...

Yeah, nothing is oozing out of the sides. I remember BoC saying that with the latest Intel chips that come with a heatspreader, you can even get away with NO thermal paste. At ~22C, it idled at 34C, and peaked at 54C with a 7v fan. According to the review sites I've looked at, it should peak at something like 38C at those temperatures.

And that's for a CPU with 135TDP, while mine's supposed to be a mere 65. Somehow, I think I've been doing it wrong.

How should the cleaning go? I'm pretty sure it's cleaned pretty well. The highest strength rubbing alcohol I can find around here is 64%.

You can get away with no thermal paste on both Intel's and AMD's chips that have heatspreaders. However, I certainly don't recommend that you do this. I just said that to illustrate the small impact that thermal paste makes. For everyday usage, definitely use some thermal paste just to be safe. The point I was trying to make was that how much you use, and how you apply it is somewhat irrelevant as long as you have an appropriate amount of thermal paste.

As for your temperatures, how are you measuring them?
    Also, don't trust reviews that have CPUs topping out at 38 degrees. I call BS on that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As an aside, I got my Radeon 4890 yesterday. I took a black heatsink cover and customized it a bit. I haven't installed it in my main system yet though, but it does work as I tested it on another system earlier.