Page 33 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: Customized computer?

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar
    it's a low hum on high... I have my other system going on my desk next to that one and the noise from my hard drives is more than those fans.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by itadakimasu
    it's a low hum on high... I have my other system going on my desk next to that one and the noise from my hard drives is more than those fans.
    Yeah, given the size of those fans, hard-mounted hard disks would be a bigger problem, especially if it's right next to you.

Is that side fan an exhaust or intake? I ask because my brother has a front/side/back fan setup as well. He's got two fans at the top-back (top mounted PSU + 1 back exhaust), two side intake fans and lower-front intake.

It doesn't make much sense because all the air that's being blown into the back-lower region has nowhere to go.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian
    @BoC: If you don't use it yourself, how will you show it off to people that it works?
    I'll have pictures and videos. I will use it on a test system.

i got a coolermaster mystique case today... considering moving it into that one if the V8 heatsink will fit.

I'm getting high temps and the arctic silver website had directions to put just a straight line and not spread it or anything... so I'm going to have to pull the mobo out anyhow.

The one i have has a clear side though w\ an area for a 120mm fan

I like the look of this case much better. I was never a fan of clear-side panels, but that's personal preference. It's convenient at times.

The one i have has a clear side though w\ an area for a 120mm fan
    New system. I sold the i7 920 system I built and I have a new budget system going...

cpu : e6750 @ 3ghz
    ram : 4gb ddr2-800 @450mhz (stole 2 sticks from my main system)
    video : evga 8600gts (came w\ the system when I bought it)
    mobo : Gigabyte P31
    psu : 600w coolermaster ( came w\ system)

I really like the case that it's in. it's really solid and sturdy and isn't too big like my 3Daurora.

I got the system for $125 on craigslist because the guy had screwed the mobo directly to the case and grounded it out so it wouldn't boot... swapped the mobo for this gigabyte one. I'm thinking of making this my main system. The cpu runs really cool w\ stock intel cooling.... my amd 6000 idles @ 50, this idles @ 30 lol

if i decide to make it my main system I'm going to drop in my 2gb 4870 and maybe switch the psu for one of the modular ones I have.

What do you mean by "screwed directly to the case"? All the systems I've made are screwed to the case, but the screws go into the little gold hexagonal things (pegs) between it (mobo) and the case. They don't look like insulating material, and I'm pretty sure there's no rubber rings or anything. Is that "directly"? Or did the guy not even use the pegs and just slapped the mobo flush against the case?

Your new system would do well for a main system for general use. 8600gts is getting old though

The new case is classy. Is the AMD 6000 in that other case with the giant front intake fan? If so, looks like this guy's thermally better performing too.

If you don't use those pegs or simply screw it in too tight, the mobo gets grounded and won't boot at all.
    -----------------

I got the system for $125 on craigslist because the guy had screwed the mobo directly to the case and grounded it out so it wouldn't boot... swapped the mobo for this gigabyte one. I'm thinking of making this my main system. The cpu runs really cool w\ stock intel cooling.... my amd 6000 idles @ 50, this idles @ 30 lol

if i decide to make it my main system I'm going to drop in my 2gb 4870 and maybe switch the psu for one of the modular ones I have.
    That's such a massive downgrade though... E6750 is crap...

Quote Originally Posted by Board of Command
    That's such a massive downgrade though... E6750 is crap...
    He's overclocking it. I'm assuming the AMD 6000 is stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian
    He's overclocking it. I'm assuming the AMD 6000 is stock.
    He said it's @ 3 GHz, which is still kinda crappy considering he downgraded from an i7 920.

Ah. I thought you were comparing the E6750 with the AMD 6000.

I only built the i7 system to build it and sell it. I wasn't planning on keeping a $1000+ build for my own usage since all I do is surf, watch videos, and play starcraft right now.

I'm about to switch over the the Cosmos system though for my main. I just got a Xigmatek AIO cooler and I have the e6750 @ 3.4ghz. It idles @ 25-26c and gets to maybe 42 at load.

I'm going to put the 2gb 4870 in there too. Only problem is that I can't just move my raid over to a new mobo since it runs off the mobo : (

I also have another build I'm about to start w\ 2x xeon 5420's (3.4ghz 1600fsb) + 6gb. I was thinking to try to make it a hackintosh but I need to get all the software to do that.

I officially switched over to this new build.

I have the e6750 @ 3.4ghz and I installed my 4870. The 4870 runs pretty hot, but I guess most video cards do. I installed windows 7 rc1 on 74gb raptor I had and probably will ghost it after I get everything backed up from my old system... I don't think I'm going to bother setting up raid.

Side note : Has everybody noticed how high ddr2 prices have gone?

DDR2 was dirt cheap.... and I just looked @ newegg and the cheapest 4gb ddr2-6400 kit is $65 !!!! I had 3 2gb sticks 4-5 weeks ago and I sold them for $30 (all together) on tomshardware forums, and now i'd like some and cant find any at a good price.

I think DDR2 prices have crept back up because manufacturers are now focusing on DDR3, which has gone down in price in a huge hurry over the past year.

Hey guys, it's me again, I haven't made the computer I askd for last time due to some family financial issues that came up. Now I am more focusing on upgrading my current computer for it to last a couple more years or something. After doing some research I wish for your guys advice.

Currently my comps specs are:
    350w power supply
    Intel d865perl motherboard (found out from crucial.com scan)
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz processor
    4X256 sticks of ram
    Geforce fx 5500 video card

I plan on upgrading my video card and maybe some more ram in order to play future games like sc2 in the future and mainly Borderlands atm.

After some browsing on newegg this graphics card appealed to me
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16814130509
    (mainly cheap price, free ame, and good reviews appealed to me)

new ram
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16820178101
    (cheap price)

and after reading about the graphics card it was recommended to have at least a 400w power supply so i found this
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16817170012
    (cheap price)

I would like advice on whether my comps is upgradable or not with my current motherboard and processor, and if my choices are good choices. As well from browsing newegg whats the difference between and server power supply and power supply?

ty psj for this sig

Upgrading's not worth it man. That board supports AGP and PCI only, while the graphics card you're looking at (and all the newer generation cards) use PCI-E.

The P4 will be usable for a little while longer, but the board and everything else is too backward for any significant upgrade.

If you have a frys near you, they have an AMD Athlon II 620 ( quad core) and asus mobo for $119.99.

I bought a 620 when they came out for $99 and haven't put it into a board yet : (

For gaming, go w\ a video card w\ ddr3, 256bit or greater bandwidth and more than 64 shaders. Don't worry so much w\ the 1gb memory that one has since it's slower ddr2.

Well... my old system is toast, sorta. Dismantled it because it wouldn't post after I swapped out the cpu (6000+) w\ a 9850 BE... wouldn't boot w\ teh 6000 either.

New build :

Biostar TA790GX XE mobo
    Ram : 8gb ddr2-800 (nanya - found in a system I had at work! rawwwr)
    CPU : Trying to decide between an Athlon II 620 @ 2.6ghz or a Phenom 9850 BE @ 2.5... I have both CPU's and really am not sure which I should keep in the system. The Athlon 2 idles @ 800mhz and 24c but i haven't run any kind of benchmarking yet.

Video card : Also unsure : I have the following choices . 2gb 4870, 768mb 8800GTX, 512mb 8600gts, 512mb 3870... I'm thinking of puting the 4870 in and putting an 8800gtx into my intel system where the 4870 is now.

Windows 7 pwns... I think the total install time was maybe 10-15 minutes. And of course, no missing drivers.

Really? Full tower... come on.