Page 11 of 52 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Customized computer?

Nothing hostile there, just asking the questions that need to be answered in this situation. I'm not attacking you so much as I'm attacking your notion of "his new build should be just fine" by skimping on parts now. If he makes informed choices now with upgradeability and better performance in mind, it will better serve him in the future as well, rather than just neatly concluding that his current upgrades will have him set for the next few years.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

One question: is this system getting overclocked?

Awesome user with default custom title Jman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by darkshadow
    I'm saying it would be just fine, cause his new build would be much more powerful then my current one, yet it runs the games he mentioned maxed out just fine (hl2: lost coast max @ 1680x1050 even).
    i would like to be able to run those game with high/max settings while maintaining steady frame rates so it's really good to see that this build would be able to do that since you can max out on your current build.
    1680x1050 nice.

If he managed to last that long with his current build, his new build should be just fine.

Also, tell us what your budget is, and define how well you want to run said games.
    thus far i've budgeted for $500 - $600. i might go a little bit higher, but with school supplies and a few bills i may have to keep it around that amount for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Board of Command
    One question: is this system getting overclocked?
    i don't know much about the fundamentals of overclocking so no.

so regarding the psu, i've only replaced mine once, moving from what was either 350 or 400W to a $79 500W thermaltake psu, which im very pleased with so far. will this new build require something higher?

Really people like jman should stick to prefabbed PCs from gateway or e-machines, or even an Apple. If you're cheap or destitute or just don't know any better, it's really the only sensible option.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Ok, your psu will be perfectly fine.
    seeing as how you still have around 320 left on your budget:
    Videocard: x1950pro 256mb OR 8600gts
    Case: Antec NINEHUNDRED ( this case absolutly rocks), though those coolermaster stackers seem to be good too

those two should land you at 200-250$, well within budget.
    Though, seeing how you would land 100-50$ within budget, i would suggest you looking at a c2d mobo, and a C2D Conroe E6550 2.33ghz, that should max out your budget, BUT give you (far) superior performance compared to the AM2 proc, money definitly well spend.
    -----------------

Thumbs up

^I'll look into those.
    Thanks for all the advice guys, i appreciate the guidance.

Formerly known as 'Animemaster'

Ok, your psu will be perfectly fine.
    seeing as how you still have around 320 left on your budget:
    Videocard: x1950pro 256mb OR 8600gts
    i would suggest you looking at a c2d mobo, and a C2D Conroe E6550 2.33ghz, that should max out your budget, BUT give you (far) superior performance compared to the AM2 proc, money definitly well spend.
    Dude, you pretty much just said what I said earlier.

If he managed to last that long with his current build, his new build should be just fine.
    So what was all this noise about?

I'm telling you jman, get a prefab. You don't know enough to go this route.

No I didnt, good job omitting the most important part of my reasoning, his budget allowed for a c2d proc instead.
    Plus i supplied him with more info about the cards, the casing and the exact cpu, and pricings, you did none of those.
    -----------------

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax
    I'm telling you jman, get a prefab. You don't know enough to go this route.
    Buying a prefab teaches you exactly zilch. The only way to learn is to do it. And we aren't talking about any quantum physics here.

I'm guessing IT gets highly apreciated by Animeniax.
    While to any other person you'd be just another nerd.
    What a great mind state to live your life by, really fulfilling.

Now... we can click as warriors... button to button, it is the basis of all internet.
    Only a fool trusts his life to a virus.

Err.. what?
    Who are you even talking to?
    -----------------

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar
    ZOMG! I'm so excited. Per my post from last week. I bought a Gigabyte posieden case off of ebay, w\ a 520w epower psu and it has a dvd drive and also a thermaltake heatsink...

i just got it today, and ZOMFG! the guy couldn't have listed it more accurately...
    everything looks like it just came out of its original box, the psu doesn't h ave any signs of dust or having even been used i'm so excited. I'm going to try to get my p4 system up and running adn then move my main stuff into that case WOOOOT

Quote Originally Posted by Killa-Eyez
    I'm guessing IT gets highly apreciated by Animeniax.
    While to any other person you'd be just another nerd.
    What a great mind state to live your life by, really fulfilling.
    Cmon now...we're on an anime forum...

I know, ironic, isn't it...

To darkshadow, I was talking in general.
    I knew it'd be read.

I'm getting angry though...
    All you people enjoying high-end computers, while I'm still on my stupid Athlon 1 Ghz with a mobo only capable of AGP 4.0 cards. To add to that, it takes a million years to boot the damn thing and it makes a rattling noise trying to. @ 1st I thought it was my harddrive, but recently discovered it was my pc speaker making the noise... I'm guessing it's the power/reset button, speaker and led wires that are short-circuiting somehow.
    Flippin' burgers real hard @ Burgerking and my first and probably also my second salary are going to bills... Yup, it will be some time before I can enjoy the better fruits of IT technologies.
    Last edited by Killa-Eyez; Mon, 08-20-2007 at 09:31 PM.

Now... we can click as warriors... button to button, it is the basis of all internet.
    Only a fool trusts his life to a virus.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    Buying a prefab teaches you exactly zilch.
    You could apply the same logic to repairing a car or performing home surgery. Why let a professional do it when you can figure it out yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    The only way to learn is to do it. And we aren't talking about any quantum physics here.
    Go read python's thread about how much he hates his non-working homemade PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Killa-Eyez
    I'm getting angry though...
    All you people enjoying high-end computers...
    It ain't all it's cracked up to be. We also get to enjoy 40-60hr work weeks with real responsibility and consequences, mortgage or college loan payments, taxes, rush hour traffic, etc. It evens out in the end.
    Last edited by Animeniax; Mon, 08-20-2007 at 09:55 PM.

It took me half a year of pure research before I put together my first system. Granted, that's much longer than most people's attention spans, but I didn't just want to build a computer, I wanted to learn and understand. It might not be quantum physics, but you still need to invest a lot of time and effort if you really want to gain any knowledge. Just because you build a computer that powers on doesn't prove anything.

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar
    the new case + psu !!! WOOT actually... since i haven't moved any of my drives into it yet it is basically a complete build... i just did it in stages.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...m/100_0930.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...m/100_0929.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...m/100_0928.jpg

ooops.. didn't take a pic of the case closed and standing up meh... its awesome though... im in love w\ it.
    Last edited by itadakimasu; Mon, 08-20-2007 at 10:33 PM.

hah that mobo is so rediculous haha, nice case though.
    -----------------

hah that mobo is so rediculous haha
    My thoughts exactly.

Exclamation

Ok so taking some things into consideration thus far, i've come up with this
    lemme know what y'all think. thanks

Formerly known as 'Animemaster'