Page 12 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Customized computer?

Quote Originally Posted by Jman
    Ok so taking some things into consideration thus far, i've come up with this
    lemme know what y'all think. thanks
    http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread...261#post348261
    Dude, you should get a dell, like whoa.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax
    Hmm... So, you have a Dell and you love it? Or am I missing something here?

I'd sooner buy an American car than I would a Dell, which is to say never ever.

You've never seen the "Dude, you're gettin' a Dell!" commercials?
    Last edited by Animeniax; Tue, 08-21-2007 at 05:09 AM.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Pfff, aren't you helpfull.

Now... we can click as warriors... button to button, it is the basis of all internet.
    Only a fool trusts his life to a virus.

Ok so taking some things into consideration thus far, i've come up with this
    lemme know what y'all think. thanks
    hmm how did you manage to go that much over budget? >_>
    anyway if you dont mind going an extra 10$ over, take this card instead:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16814102061R
    -----------------

Crap, jman's plans fail, newegg is out of stock on the Samsung DVD Writer. Guess he should look harder at a prefab.

Awesome user with default custom title Jman's Avatar

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax

Crap, jman's plans fail, newegg is out of stock on the Samsung DVD Writer. Guess he should look harder at a prefab.
    well i'll have to get another writer, but i'll still pass on the prefab. and it's unfortunate what happened to python, but his situation and mine are different for his "friends" forced him into building and thus began his problems. i mean i've have been outta the hardware game for some time so i don't know whats cutting edge, but i think i'll manage through some research and with the help of this thread. i intend to have a customized pc, and at the same time i'm taking advantage of the fact that guys like BOC and darkshadow know their stuff so why not ask their help. all in all i know i can learn from this experience too.
    thus far i'm grateful for the suggestions i've been getting.

Quote Originally Posted by darkshadow
    hmm how did you manage to go that much over budget? >_>
    anyway if you dont mind going an extra 10$ over, take this card instead:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16814102061R
    a little err on my part, i actually budgeted for more than i had originally stated in my initial post a few pages back.
    also just made a quick change so i'm just under $700 before shipping.
    Last edited by Jman; Tue, 08-21-2007 at 02:50 PM.

Formerly known as 'Animemaster'

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar
    jman, if you're in the us check out zipzoomfly.com. Everything = free shipping. they tend to beat out new eggs prices on 9/10 things i compare.

Also check out mwave.com. Great prices, beats Newegg half the time.

also just made a quick change so i'm just under $700 before shipping.
    That system looks really nice, but really, that extra 10 $ for that other card i suggested won't be money ill spend.
    -----------------

Almost finished building my new system, looks pretty sweet i think :P
    -----------------

Where did you get that Lanparty sticker?

Quote Originally Posted by Board of Command
    Where did you get that Lanparty sticker?
    Lanparty Mobo
    -----------------

Oh what the hell...it must be a new thing DFI is doing then. My Ultra-D from 2005 certainly didn't come with a huge sticker like that...

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar
    upgraded last night to 2 matched 17'' dell ultrasharp LCD's, from 2 15''s (1 emachine , 1 hp)

This was such a drastic improvement, maybe somewhat due to being straight DVI input and not analog to DVi adapted. Pictures posted later.

Meanwhile... my core2 custom build sits in my room collecting dust... e4400 @ 2.5ghz, 2gb patriot xtreme @400-433, 36gb raptor boot drive... if i have time over the weekend i'm going to get some sata cables and configure 750gb-1tb raid w\ 36gb raptor boot drive and use it as NAS / file server w\ 2008 server.

Quote Originally Posted by darkshadow
    Almost finished building my new system, looks pretty sweet i think :P
    Is that the subwoofer under your PC? You know what's in a subwoofer right? You know what those do to harddrives, right?

How can you tell it's a subwoofer? The noise level of that picture is simply so epic it could be anything. Like a table or a shelf (aren't there some papers jutting out of it on the right?).

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Let's suppose I want to build a very very quiet multimedia PC, with enough power under the hood for playing a game like GTR2.
    What would be the best options available, I can build everything from scratch.

Thanks a lot.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Quote Originally Posted by David75
    Let's suppose I want to build a very very quiet multimedia PC, with enough power under the hood for playing a game like GTR2.

Thanks a lot.
    Can't really help you here since noise control has never been a concern of mine when building PCs.

Start here for quiet parts: http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l1/g33/Ultra_Quiet.html
    You should consider a ready-made watercooler kit that cools the CPU, chipsets, and the videocard. You can get decent cpm flow fans that are pretty quiet.

Otherwise, it's the usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    How can you tell it's a subwoofer? The noise level of that picture is simply so epic it could be anything. Like a table or a shelf (aren't there some papers jutting out of it on the right?).
    I can't, that's why I'm asking. But I've seen enough PC setups where they put the subwoofer next to the PC case to wonder if that's the situation here.

Quote Originally Posted by David75

Thanks a lot.
    For quiet, you need low speed fans. 120mm 800 RPM fans should do the trick. You'll also need a case that will allow you to install a lot of these fans, because a bunch of low speed fans is much quieter than a few high speed fans. Antec 900 comes to mind.

You'll also need a very good CPU cooler, which negates the need for a high speed fan on the CPU. Heatsinks like Ultra-120 Extreme, Ultima-90, Scythe Ninja and Scythe Infinity come to mind when you're talking about quiet. Zalman 9500 and 9700 are also quiet coolers, but they're quiet expensive and not worth the money, especially when you can get a Ultra-120 Extreme plus a good fan for cheaper.

You'll also need a third party cooler on the video card unless you're getting Radeon 3850 or 3870, which come with very quiet coolers. Zalman VF900 and all the Thermalright coolers will do the job.