Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Customized computer?

I would even say the E6600 is too much. E6420 is as much as I would spend on a CPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    I recently upgraded my old (=ancient) 451 to LH-20A1P. And I also changed the black front panel to it. The old LiteOn never had any media issues (no matter how dubious media) but this one has had some troubles with the lead in, like rejecting the disk (no more dubious than Verbatim), but when I put the same disk in again, it will burn it ok.

Why didn't your friend build his own machine? Or do you just like the screwdriver so much that you offered to do it?
    Cuz I helped him make this list in the first place and he knows nothing about hardware. Well a little bit, no experience though. He asked me to, so I did...
    About the RW, dunno anything about it, always had a pretty goed experience with Lite-On. That's why I chose it.

Quote Originally Posted by darkshadow
    total waste right there, you shouldve gone for an E6600 and use the xtra money for a better vid card, 7900gt and up.
    Made changes to the list as its supposed to be... Check it.

Quote Originally Posted by Board of Command
    I would even say the E6600 is too much. E6420 is as much as I would spend on a CPU.
    U 2, check the list, he has exactly what u were trying to imply...

PS: In the future he's gonna have an SLI upgrade and another set of Corsair XMS2 2GB memory...
    Maybe some Blu-Ray Rom/RW and a Samsung LCD screen? He really does have money!
    Last edited by Killa-Eyez; Wed, 06-20-2007 at 09:54 AM.

Now... we can click as warriors... button to button, it is the basis of all internet.
    Only a fool trusts his life to a virus.

I kinda like 2x pci-E 7900 GS
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar
    found an xfx 8500gt earlier for $79.99.

i may need to upgrade mine in my system (visiontek x1300 /256/pci-e) but i dunno what im going to do yet...

if you bought that card just because it was an 8 series card, you made a big mistake, dont expect big performance on the 8500, for an extra 30 you have a 8600gt, which is MUCH faster, or for like 50 more, you have a 8600gts or hd2600xt, or if dx10 is not an issue, the fast as hell x1950pro
    -----------------

8500GT is a piece of shit.

End of story.

The E6420 processor is one crazy overclocking CPU

And I just got a score of 6233 in 3DMark06. Im happy
    Last edited by LaZie; Fri, 06-22-2007 at 04:41 AM.

No it's not. The original E6300/6400 were much better overclockers. If yours overclocks well, then you got lucky. The E6x20 chips are stockpiled low quality stuff that failed to quality for E6600 branding. The extra cache also hinders overclocking because it draws more power than chips with 2 MB cache.

My E6300 (from last December) goes over 3.2 GHz with 1.22v. I can probably reach somewhere in the neighborhood of 3.4 GHz at near-stock voltage if I had some better memory. I highly doubt yours can even come close to that in terms of clock/voltage. Not many new C2Ds nowadays can. It was very common a while back to find people with crazy overclocked E6300s. You don't see that anymore with E6320/6420s.
    Last edited by Board of Command; Fri, 06-22-2007 at 05:48 PM.

Planning on getting the following :

cpu
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (S775, 2x2.4GHz, 4MB, 1066MHz FSB, Boxed)
    6850 will be released end of the next month, so I might pick that one up instead..

Graphics Card
    Asus GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB DDR3 (PCI-e, 2x DVI) EN800GTS/HTDP/640M
    or
    Asus GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB DDR3 (PCI-e, 2x DVI) EN8800GTX/HTDP

Motherboard
    Asus P5W64 WS Professional, 975X (ATX, PCI-e, Sound, LAN, SATA II, RAID, 1394a)

RAM
    4GB 667MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 DIMM (Kit of 2)

HD's
    2x Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000KS, 500GB (7200rpm, SATA II, 16MB)

Soundcard
    Undecided.

But I do fear it might be better to buy one late November, perhaps even late December. Close to game-releases.

its funny how ppl spend a ton on cpu's/vid cards, but have a lame as hell sound system...
    -----------------

I don't think that's really surprising. To play many of the latest games, you need an uber CPU and GPU to get the game to run smoothly at all, but even the sound chip on your mobo is enough to get the game running.

Besides, sound systems haven't seen nearly as much development as video cards. There isn't yet even really functional real-time 3D sound. If you think about those prerecorded clips listened to with headphones where you hear a matchbox being shaken around your head, closer and farther away. Simulations (games) are still miles away from that. Because sound cards are stepchilds compared to video cards.

I've not very keen on sound. I can tell the difference between really crappy sound and acceptable sound, but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    I don't think that's really surprising. To play many of the latest games, you need an uber CPU and GPU to get the game to run smoothly at all, but even the sound chip on your mobo is enough to get the game running.

Besides, sound systems haven't seen nearly as much development as video cards. There isn't yet even really functional real-time 3D sound. If you think about those prerecorded clips listened to with headphones where you hear a matchbox being shaken around your head, closer and farther away. Simulations (games) are still miles away from that. Because sound cards are stepchilds compared to video cards.
    Its good enough to get the game running yeah, but its not good enough to immerse you in the game audibly, and what do you mean with 3d sound? 8 discreet channels? cause even a audigy 2zs can produce 8 discreet channels no problem, plently of games are compatible with EAX or dolby/DTS.
    Also the soundcard takes some stress off the cpu, plus the X-FI crystalizes sound into 24bit, which gives a pretty major improvement.
    Even on the "old" ps2, a good soundsystem makes a game far more immersive.
    shadow of the colossus, through the tv, or some lame 2.0(1) desktop speakers, has nothing on a optical connection to a 500watt 5.1 system with PLII. It just makes it that more... EPIC.
    Oh and burnout revenge on the x360.... gives me the shivers, thats how awesome it sounds.

Other then video, sound envelopes and sucks you in, IMAX screens aren't just upgraded with a bigger/digital screen either, they get a much better sound system aswell.
    -----------------

Its good enough to get the game running yeah, but its not good enough to immerse you in the game audibly, and what do you mean with 3d sound?
    If you had had an opportunity to sometimes listen to those clips I referred to, you would know what I'm talking about. With (quality) headphones on, if you closed your eyes, with one clip it absolutely felt like you were sitting in the chair at a barber. It almost made you shudder when you heard the scissors suddenly cutting your hair. But unless you have heard these clips that are recorded using a human head and ears models (though I don't know the details), you can't understand what I mean.

Other then video, sound envelopes and sucks you in...
    No need to tell me about it. I have built a few FPS SP game levels. Sound wasn't ever my strongest point (because it would have been nigh impossible to produce new scifi sound effects at home), but just like you say, it's of utmost importance to pay due attention to it or the level will fail horribly.

I've not very keen on sound. I can tell the difference between really crappy sound and acceptable sound, but that's about it.
    This somewhat strikes my ground. I do not intend to waste<-- money on sound. I have two very agressive parents with 1 very agressive sister. They agro on any loud sounds. Second, I favor stereo above any other system around, so anything past a 2.1 system is wasted on me, I do like it in games, don't get me wrong, but I'll just have to get it when I live on my own.

And going all "zomg wowzor come hear my sound" ..feels like I'm one of those idiots that put soundsystems in their cars that fill up the whole damn thing.

Yes, soundcards are irrelevant to me.

Altough I admit I probably will buy a soundcard this time. As my financial situation currently allows me to, perhaps we can boost some performance in my Sennheiser headset.. :P

Quote Originally Posted by ?igma
    ...They agro on any loud sounds...
    Where did i say loud? I said better, a powerfull (digital) speakerset and a kickass soundcard will IMPROVE the sound quality.
    500watts of power doesn't just mean it will go loud, it means it will produce perfectly clear sounds at any sound level, and if its digital, it might even crystalize the output aswell, making even 128kbps sound good.
    My mom goes agro on even medium level sound, but she isnt around all the time, plus the speakerset+soundcard improve headphone quality too.

"And going all "zomg wowzor come hear my sound"...
    If that is your definition of IMMERSION, then fine..
    Soundcards aren't dumb gimmicks that just make stuff louder.

Oh and kraco, to get 3d sounds out of a headphone, you will need a surround headphone, if you heard those sounds with a normal headphone, it's just trickery. There is no way to get 3d sound out of 2 speakers. Like that retarded bose 3-2-1 system, ugh..
    EAX and DTS are great at producing 3d sound.
    -----------------

Sounds to me someones wasting his time getting into stuff nobody wants to be into :P Sound...

Oh my set isnt so bad, I have two Bose Boxes each 500W, Let's just put loud as being what I really meant, anything past whispering is considered too loud.

And here comes my completely unsupported opinion. Spending money on sound is retarded, untill you have it in huge amounts. I cant play games without a decent cpu, I cant play games without a decent Graphics card, ram and decent HD storage. Without all those thing being balanced, I can't play anything. It's a worthless piece of junk.

Buying hardware to improve sound, is like buying a spoiler for your car. It drives perfectly without, it's just for the finishing touch.

Oh and kraco, to get 3d sounds out of a headphone, you will need a surround headphone, if you heard those sounds with a normal headphone, it's just trickery. There is no way to get 3d sound out of 2 speakers. Like that retarded bose 3-2-1 system, ugh..
    EAX and DTS are great at producing 3d sound.
    You got one thing right: It is trickery. You know, the human hearing is stereo, not 5.1 or 7.1. Or maybe you could say it's 2.1 if you count feeling some uber basso all the way down to your bones...

Well, I'm already repeating myself, but if you haven't heard any of those recordings, there's no way you would understand. It's like trying to explain Shinji's epic lameness to someone who hasn't watched Eva. But the whole idea is to mimic the way the shape of the human head and ears affect the quality of the sound you are hearing (and possibly other aspects but like I said, I'm no expert and it takes some sort of a pro to make these things). It's not just whether the left or the right channel is louder (or how loud is the sound in all of your 8+1 speakers).

Too bad I can't link you to any such sound samples, because I have only heard them when some people have made forum posts with them elsewhere, and that forum has a mod that allows you to play sounds via a simple interface straight in the post itself, so I have no idea where they came from nor do I have them locally.

Surround sound is all about your perceived origin of the sound. I can sort of understand what Kraco is referring to with something like the barbershop sound. The sound has to be tweaked so that it sounds like it actually has a "direction" and this is done by modifying the individual levels and pitches of all the different sounds in the clip with respect to the shape and size of a human head.

It's audio illusion.