Page 10 of 52 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Customized computer?

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax
    I got my Tuniq Tower today. It is freakin' massive. Ridiculously massive. I can only imagine how big the Thermalright Ultra-120 or Zalman 9700 are. I haven't installed it yet, have to wait until after work.
    Tuniq Tower should bigger than both the Ultra-120 and CNPS9700. Width-wise, CNPS9700 might be bigger but Tuniq is the overall largest cooler next to the Coolermaster Gemini II.

Wish I had known that but the Tuniq is now installed and cooling my Q6600 nicely. Gonna wait a couple days before overclocking. The Tuniq is shorter than the other two HSFs I think, and barely clears the door of my case, which was my main concern. It is massive, like my omnipresence.

The best part of the package I received today: a Logitech media elite standard US keyboard!!! I was getting tired of the arabic version keyboard with the weird key arrangements.
    Last edited by Animeniax; Wed, 08-08-2007 at 01:01 PM.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=007

couldn't pass it up... used bid sniper which a guy i work with told me about... high bid was $52... won w\ 38.77+25 shipping. The psu retails for 73 and the case for 110 ^^ + extra heat sink and dvdr woot

edit: found the case on newegg for $95, the heatsink for $35 and the psu for $73.. the dvd r around 20-30 .... not bad for $63
    Last edited by itadakimasu; Sat, 08-11-2007 at 12:43 AM.

I would never buy a used power supply, but that's just me. I sell them though

Quote Originally Posted by Board of Command
    I would never buy a used power supply, but that's just me. I sell them though
    Same lol, at least I know the ones i sell are good
    -----------------

the guy says in the description that the psu was only run for a short time. I was going to buy a 75$ thermaltake psu and a $50 coolermaster case... so i'm content.. cant wait to get it, my system really does need some extra power.

Speaking of customization, I finally went ahead and did the window mod today. 12 hours of labor

End result is pretty good though. It's attached with nuts and bolts, so maybe one of these days I'll take it apart again to sand down the edges some more.

Wow, nice carpet! Berber?

Cool tower with the window kit. Doesn't the window glass go inside the case, so you can't see the jagged edges? I was thinking of adding a window to mine, but I figured with some of the wild case mods people are doing these days, like making their case look like R2D2, it wouldn't be worth the trouble. I might still, once I find a case I'm willing to keep for a few years.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Why didn't you just buy a case with a side panel window? Of course you wouldn't have the satisfaction of doing it all by yourself. Nice job btw

Cool tower with the window kit. Doesn't the window glass go inside the case, so you can't see the jagged edges?
    That was my original plan, but due to the way the rear exhaust fan is attached, I don't have any room on the inside because the fan is right up against the side panel.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZie
    Why didn't you just buy a case with a side panel window? Of course you wouldn't have the satisfaction of doing it all by yourself. Nice job btw
    I've already done some other mods to this case and put way too much time into it. I can't just abandon it now... I already have another mod in mind - add a clear panel and possibly a fan to the top. The scrap piece of plexiglass I have left is the perfect size for that.
    Last edited by Board of Command; Mon, 08-13-2007 at 11:12 AM.

Ok, This guy i work with gave me a mobo, its an ecs 775 board and yesterday i got a processor to go with and and then when i was at frys buying some thermal compound, i found another 775 board they had for 29.99 so i bought it in case the board this guy gave mer eally wouldn't work.

so, i got the whole system put together and powered on, bios starts to load showing the processor, ram and hard drives. i then powered off because i dont have a usb keyboard or anything to use w\ it... plugged in a keyboard and restarted it and got into the bios where it froze up. after that attempts to power up brought nothing on the display and the system will only stay on for about 3 seconds before powering down.

So, i opened up the brand new mobo i had bought and get it set up assuming the other board is dead... but the new board does the exact same thing. I thought maybe it was power supply and i have 3 ... all working and i tired 2/3 on it and the same thing happens. wtf is this? i'm having a hard time believing that i got a DOA board from frys, what would be causing this to happen and how can i fix it?

Why do you keep ending up with crappy parts?

lol

this was just supposed to be a quick cheap build just for kicks... but cant even get either board to boot up.. i think the 775 cpu type is kinda screwy what with having no pins...

you didnt force the cpu in did you?, the 775 cpu's should just be "dropped" in, and secured with the cpu socket.
    -----------------

idk if you can force that into anywhere... i just put it in and latched it.

I did get it up and running except for video which is... only a little important. but its so late that i put it away for the night.

Awesome user with default custom title Jman's Avatar
    hey guys, great thread you got going here. well i'm planning to build a box but it's been quite a while since i've done any type of hardware installations myself. i'm not really up to date on certain things so i'm here asking some advice. in the past, i've done some business with newegg so most likely i'll order the parts from them or i'll take a trip to a local store where my dad has gone to quite a few times for computing needs.

my current build: 1.2ghz processor, 384mb ram, 128mb ati radeon 9000 vid card...yes old when i first got it, it was the shit back then and my games like max payne2, halflife, jedi academy and fifa03 run well but do have an occasional hiccup or delaying so i go into game options to tweak the gfx a bit. needless to say, i couldn't dream of running any of them on the highest settings.
    as far as usage goes, currently i do play a few games (not really hardcore) and i also use my pc for my artwork photoshop/painter, etc. honestly, this pc has done what i've needed it to do for the past couple years, but i could use a more robust machine as i get more into the digital art and i'd also like to be able to do more multitasking and run games like HL2, CS:S, FarCry and Doom3.

so anyhow i started to look over some parts for my rig, and so far i've come up with:
    ASUS M2N-E SLI Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 500 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $89.99

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+(65W) Windsor 2.4GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADO4600CUBOX - Retail $103.50

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ - Retail $128.99 -$40.00 Instant Savings $88.99

Grand Total: $282.48 thus far

Ok i know i'm missing out on many other components (case,psu, all that good stuff and that's where i need help. i was also reading through the customer reviews at newegg and some users mentioned getting an extra fan, whereas others said there was no need...i'm just not sure so any help would be appreciated.
    thanks

Formerly known as 'Animemaster'

I'd go with a cheap Core2Duo config over an AM2, easier to upgrade and superior performance.

You will also need to replace your videocard, as the 9000 is probably AGP and the newer stuff is all PCI-E. Plus the newer video games will be better with at least 256MB video RAM. I'd suggest at least an 8600GT.

I'd go with a cheap Core2Duo config over an AM2, easier to upgrade and superior performance.

You will also need to replace your videocard, as the 9000 is probably AGP and the newer stuff is all PCI-E. Plus the newer video games will be better with at least 256MB video RAM. I'd suggest at least an 8600GT.
    If he managed to last that long with his current build, his new build should be just fine.

Also, tell us what your budget is, and define how well you want to run said games.
    -----------------

Quote Originally Posted by darkshadow
    If he managed to last that long with his current build, his new build should be just fine.

Also, tell us what your budget is, and define how well you want to run said games.
    What are you talking about? His needs have changed, so his PC will have to change too. What's to say his needs won't change faster and more drastically in the future? Why not upgrade with an eye for the future? Why buy a cheap AM2 part when you can buy a cheap C2D part that is more upgradeable?

And he'll still need to buy a new videocard unless he wants to buy a C2D motherboard that supports AGP, which I can't say even exists.

What are you talking about? His needs have changed, so his PC will have to change too. What's to say his needs won't change faster and more drastically in the future? Why not upgrade with an eye for the future? Why buy a cheap AM2 part when you can buy a cheap C2D part that is more upgradeable?

And he'll still need to buy a new videocard unless he wants to buy a C2D motherboard that supports AGP, which I can't say even exists.
    Lot's of hostile questions in there, calm down.
    Im saying it would be just fine, cause his new build would be much more powerfull then my current one, yet it runs the games he mentioned maxed out just fine (hl2: lost coast max @ 1680x1050 even).

This is also why I asked what his budget is and how he defines "runs", and we could've taken it from there.
    Yet you had to attack me with some useless questions and what if's.
    -----------------