Thread: Fanart Discussion

Genin

Fanart Discussion

Hi. I'm going to be posting some of my fanart in a little while (once I can find it/create some new stuff). This thread is more along the lines of how to create good anime/anime-style drawings, and discussing how different people do their fanart.

Most of my "good" drawings are based off of pre-done drawings by another person that I actually look at while I'm drawing, to keep a constant boundary to which I can understand how each important feature should be drawn. Like, if I need to draw a good eye, I try to find a drawing of an eye. Often, I will just take something like a card (a small playing card that I have lying around), and enlarge it 10x, while modifying the look to what I want. Now, when doing this, would you consider this to still be a real piece of art? (I mean, lol... it's not tracing... but it isn't exactly 100% my imagination mixed with drawing skills).

Anyways, I'd like to hear how you guys do your drawings (any neat tricks or things you've learned), and if there is anywhere you actually visit to learn how to draw anime better.

Ofcourse its still art, even if you are copying, its YOU who is drawing the lines, even that requires skill.
    I do this sometimes too, but only with pieces that i really really like, or certain good looking character statues, or if i have limited references to work with ( if i cant recall certain parts )
    Other then that, try to remember everything you copy, how you drew that certain line etc..
    -----------------

see, one thing some people don't realize all the often is that drawing not only takes talent, it also takes a lot of time, effort, and hard work. some of my stuff has taken me weeks to complete, if i were to put all the time i spent working on them together. if you're drawing from a reference, even if your art isn't original, it's still a mark of your talent and effort. and as they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. i also use references most of the time, mostly pieces i really like, as a challenge to myself to see if i can do it as well as the original artist.

as for tips, if i'm having trouble with a certain part of the drawing, especially if it's one that i'm drawing by myself, i like to use real-life models. i'll look up pictures on GIS or ask one of my brothers to hold their hands or whatever the way i'm trying to draw them. hope that helps

Genin
    To the person who commented about "What a useless thread. Your existence is a burden to the world": Please contribute to the Gotwoot forums. If you don't like this thread, then stay out of it. It's in the right place, and is perfectly useful to the people who care.

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    so are you going to scan your pics Canadian?

and don't waste your breath posting about messages in Rep hits. All it does is attract more negative attention towards you.

as for me, well, i respect anyone who can draw. I'm totally useless at it.

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Genin
    Quote Originally Posted by masamuneehs
    so are you going to scan your pics Canadian?

and don't waste your breath posting about messages in Rep hits. All it does is attract more negative attention towards you.

as for me, well, i respect anyone who can draw. I'm totally useless at it.
    Yeah, I'm going to scan my pics asap. I have to find a few of them; I also need to fix my scanner (lol).