Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: KitKat's Thread o' Knitting

Lasers? Cookies? FTW!
    (universally beloved
    moderator ex-emerita)

KitKat's Thread o' Knitting

I thought I would make this official, since it's started to grow beyond the scope of irc.

This thread has two purposes. Firstly, if anyone has suggestions of knitting projects, or wants to design cool anime- or game-related knitting patterns, I'd love to hear your ideas! Secondly, if you would like to request a knitted somethingorother, you may do so here.

A few ground rules about making requests:

1. If you are under 18, you must first obtain your parent's permission to give out your mailing address. The internet is full of scary people, and you shouldn't give out personal information unless you're sure it will be ok.

2. The more details you can give me about your request, the easier it will be for me. That being said, if you just want a surprise, you can ask for that too. Keep in mind, hand-knitted things don't always turn out like you expect. Curious about knitting patterns? They're just patterns on graph paper, with the boxes somewhat wider than they are tall to mimic an actual knit stitch. I'll attach an excel spreadsheet I made for my black mage pattern so you can get an idea.

3. I will be making most things out of el-cheapo acrylic yarn. It's not particularly wonderful, but it's functional, and can be reasonably soft, even though colour selection is limited by what's in stock at my local department or craft store. If you want something made out of nicer yarn, you may send it to me and I will knit it up for you.

4. I reserve the right to refuse any requests for any reason whatsoever, and to change up the order on the list for any frivolous reason I so choose. There shall be no complaining about such actions. Projects may also take a very long time to be finished. Knitting can be slow, so be patient.

5. You shall feel no indebtedness for receiving a knitted item. I'm serious. People these days place way too much emphasis on carefully keeping track of every favour and making sure they don't get stuck owing someone else. These knitted somethingorothers are freely given, and should be freely received. I love to knit for you guys because you're my online family, and it makes me happy to knit for you.

Ok, now for the gallery of current and future projects, along with the list that everyone is so curious about what place they are.

Binary Scarf for complich8 - completed January 2007
    Fingerless gloves for me - completed January 2007
    Shinigami toque for Arcness - completed January 2007
    Fingerless gloves for my Mom - completed March 2007
    DNA scarf for Spiegel - completed February 2007
    Black Mage doubleknit scarf for a friend - completed March 2007
    Space Invaders scarf for my brother - completed March 2007
    Crazy socks - in progress

*Names in red are inactive members and may be removed from the list if I don't hear from them*

Request list:
    Darkflare - doubleknit Mario ghost scarf
    Zinobi - Kon hat
    Arcness - Dark Saber scarf
    Phoenix - Phoenix banner
    Kraco - Katana scarf
    Lucifus - Code Geass-themed something
    DS - scarf
    Sasori - eliminated from the list
    Masamuneehs - cozy hat
    Assassin - undetermined
    gr3atfull - ?
    DB Hunter - undetermined
    Hikyuu - gloomy bear cap
    dragonrage - black fingerless gloves

This list will be updated as time goes on. I may cap it at a certain number of people if it starts to get enormous
    Last edited by KitKat; Sun, 11-01-2009 at 01:29 AM.

Oh my god KitKatz your like the greatest person! I want one. KitKat is now one of the most beloved members of my "Online Family"

Details in a bit. ----Bleach themed long fingerless gloves! If thats too much trouble then simply surprise me. =D

Greatfull if this request is granted but...it wouldn't feel right not being indebted.
    Last edited by Lucifus; Mon, 03-12-2007 at 11:50 PM.
    Don't believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you.

Well, I wanted more of a banner than a scarf ^_^

For all you awesome people, it's just Phoenix. The numbers are just the amount of times people misspell it.

Lasers? Cookies? FTW!
    (universally beloved
    moderator ex-emerita)
    Well, you can change the details of what you want at any point up until I start knitting it. You have lots of time to work out the design, and I won't start knitting until I've gone over it with you to make sure I have all the measurements and design correct.

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    gosh, you really are somethin' else...

i see you've already got a full plate, and i wouldn't want to force myself on you (unless, you know, we were really sloshed at a party and could find a nice upstairs room, get comfortable with some massages and maybe work our way up to... )

No, but seriously, I'd love a good knit cap that covers my ears well. But I know you've got alot to do, and I totally understand if this whole idea becomes loathsome to you in the future. If you're not going to enjoy making it, I don't want it. If yes, then I'd feel really special if you decided to do something for me.

That being said, what's a pretty, smart young lady spending so much of her free time on knitting for? You should be out bewitching and heartbreaking. Seriously, kids these days with their crazy mixed up priorities...

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

This is such a cool idea ^^ Always wanted to get into knitting. Perhaps you've inspired me to go and get started We'll see hehe

I thought I said to put me at the end of the list for my Themed Knitted Sports Jacket. Heh, That list is growing fairly well too though. I might never get it!

Kitkat is officially the coolest, friendliest, most awesomest person ever

I'd like to make a request, but as Lucifus said, it wouldnt' feel rite not being indebted. Especially since i still owe you that coffee .

Im gonna have to think about what to request though, what with me not being a very creative person.

Wow!!!

You're one the nicest person I ever met!!! You are amazing at knitting.

I would have asked a little something but it wouldn't be polite and acceptable. I would love to see your creations when they will be done!!!!

Wow...im up there on the list...i need to come up with a design *scurries around the internet*

I'm official.

Lasers? Cookies? FTW!
    (universally beloved
    moderator ex-emerita)
    Honoko, you really should try it! I only learned to knit a few months ago, and I usually only knit while watching tv or anime. It's a great way to multi-task, and gives me more excuses to watch anime

Assassin and gr3atfull, I'm adding both of you to the list It will probably take a while before I get that far, so you'll have lots and lots of time to think about it.

And now, Arcness sent me pics of the toque I knit for him for Christmas (I forgot to archive it before sending it off) so you guys can check it out! It's the kanji for 'Shinigami'.

Yarn: Bernat Supersaver in Black and Grey
    Techniques learned: Fair Isle (aka two colour) knitting
    Time to complete: One weekend
    Last edited by KitKat; Tue, 03-13-2007 at 10:25 PM.

i want Kon's head on my hat/toque/head wear Picture PIcture Picture

I'm official.

you only learned to knit a little while ago?

...must...not...be jealous...

you've got some amazing work done. i am fairly impressed. where do you get your knitting designs from?

this is hot

Lasers? Cookies? FTW!
    (universally beloved
    moderator ex-emerita)
    saman, it's not really that difficult. I started learning because a friend of mine started to get really into it, and I wanted to keep up with her. The first thing I ever knit was a dishcloth. In fact, I recommend dishcloths as the perfect starting knitting project. You can learn all the basic stitches, finish relatively quickly, and it doesn't matter if you mess up. One website that was a HUGE help to me when I started was KnittingHelp.com. They have video tutorials of everything, and it makes a lot more sense when you can see someone doing it. I tried to learn something new on each successive knitting project I attempted.

In terms of patterns, there are a ton on Knitting Pattern Central but you often have to sift through tons to find something nice to make. My favourite place to find patterns right now is Knitty. That's where I found the pattern for the binary scarf and the fingerless gloves (both the type I made for my mom, and the type I made for myself). Otherwise, anything that's plain old stocking stitch can have a pattern put on it, as long as you've drawn out the pattern on graph paper beforehand. It's pretty straightforward!

Here are the fingerless gloves I knit for myself. This was my first time modifying an existing pattern, as well as my first time knitting in the round instead of on straight needles. I've never been able to wear gloves before due to my lack of pinky finger (well, I CAN wear them, they just look weird) so it's nice to have a pair custom-made for me. The yarn isn't as stretchy as I thought it would be, but it's cozy nonetheless.
    Pattern: Knucks from Knitty
    Yarn: Bernat Denim Style
    Time to complete: One weekend plus two days

I can't believe it only took you a weekend to knit that cap or only a little more for those gloves (and you have probably got even better since then!).

Well, I have a preliminary design ready, but I will still try to perfect it. I'll see if I can get it to a state I'm really happy with in order to send it to you today like I earlier promised.

KitKat, the reason i'm jealous is because i've been knitting on and off for as long as i can remember, and you're still better than me :S i've never really tried any formal patterns though, just simple things like scarves and such. i do know about the knitting pattern central website, but i'll definitely have to check out the others you mentioned, especially knittinghelp.com. thanks!

also, do you crochet at all? because since you like knitting so much, you might like crochetting too

Lasers? Cookies? FTW!
    (universally beloved
    moderator ex-emerita)
    Quote Originally Posted by saman
    KitKat, the reason i'm jealous is because i've been knitting on and off for as long as i can remember, and you're still better than me :S
    Ridiculous! I may be more adventurous in the patterns I try, but my tension always changes as I knit, and my cast ons and bind offs are wretchedly terrible, being either way too tight or too loose. I'm willing to bet that if you knit one of the same patterns as me, yours would look fantastic. Two-colour projects merely look impressive, when in reality they're just plain stocking stitch.

i've never really tried any formal patterns though, just simple things like scarves and such. i do know about the knitting pattern central website, but i'll definitely have to check out the others you mentioned, especially knittinghelp.com. thanks!
    Yeah, following actual patterns that people have written out really clearly is so awesome. They do all the work of figuring out what stitches go where, and how to make it look good, and all you have to do is knit according to directions. I love that there's a lot less old-lady-ish patterns on the web these days and more things that I'd actually wear.

also, do you crochet at all? because since you like knitting so much, you might like crochetting too
    I've been wanting to learn, but haven't gotten around to it. My mom crochets a lot, and I might get her to teach me at some point. I remember the one and only time I tried crocheting was when I was about 7 years old, and I tried to make just a rectangle, but it turned out looking like a mouse. It was the most deformed rectangle you could possibly imagine. I never did any crocheting after that.

@ Kraco: A weekend usually means about 5-7 hours of knitting each day, since there's a lot more free time (or anime time) whereas on weeknights I may only have an hour or so to knit.

I can't wait for my scarf to come in, the anticipation is growing day by day. I will send you a picture with my phone (Not High Quality, but it works, 1.3 Mega pixel i think) when I get it. Someone should put NOS in the delivery Truck.

EDIT: Your Right, it wasnt what I Expected, I thought my name was going to be on it lol. Oh well, I love it anyway!! it is comfortable. Picture Time:

Sorry if the image quality is bad, i did it with my phone.
    Last edited by Spiegel; Fri, 03-23-2007 at 01:38 PM.

Lasers? Cookies? FTW!
    (universally beloved
    moderator ex-emerita)
    Hehe, it was an experimental scarf. I'm glad it arrived ok, and I hope it keeps you nice and warm next winter. Here's a pic I took before I mailed it away:

Yep, it's a dna scarf. I'm on the other side of the continent to where I normally live right now, so I won't be able to post the specs till I get home, but I should be back in a week. I also finished the Black Mage and Space Invaders scarves (finally!) and will probably start my next project when I get home (to where my yarn stash is).