Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My 3D Mech Works

I picked up this rendering program for Sketchup, called Kerkythea. Played a little with it and got this result:

EDIT: Removed the broken links from XS.to
    Last edited by Illrenmazou; Tue, 02-16-2010 at 03:31 AM.

Last edited by Illrenmazou; Tue, 02-16-2010 at 03:31 AM.

Ok. That was pretty awesome.

Awesome stuff. You did this only using SketchUp?
    "Our hearts are full of memories but not all of them reflect the truth. The heart isn't a recording device. Even important memories change with time. They warp or fade, leaving us with but a shadow of what we hoped to remember." 天の道を行き、全てを司る。これは僕の世界。

Yup. But the renders(those with a black background) are done in another program, Kerkythea 2008 and the animations are SketchUp + Flash combo.
    Last edited by Illrenmazou; Wed, 08-06-2008 at 10:31 AM.

Nice. I didn't know you can do so much with SketchUp. I've just downloaded a program called Maxon Cinema 4D, so I hope to find time soon to give it a try. I don't have much experience with 3D modelling, but I'm hoping to learn.
    "Our hearts are full of memories but not all of them reflect the truth. The heart isn't a recording device. Even important memories change with time. They warp or fade, leaving us with but a shadow of what we hoped to remember." 天の道を行き、全てを司る。これは僕の世界。

nice models, but the animations ( even though it has some nice complexity) definitly shows you aren't using a powerfull program, start using 3dsmax, its animation system is really easy to learn. Same to you Psyke, don't even start with 4d, get max instead .
    -----------------

I'm not prepared to go through thick books just to do some simple modelling, that's why I chose 4D over StudioMax because I read that it is easier. Time is a luxury these days....

I never read a single book...max is really easy, you can learn how to make simple models in a few hours, even minutes if you catch on quick.
    Plus max is loaded with tutorials for if you need them.
    -----------------

Really? Sounds good. I'll give it a try and tell ya how it turns out. Thanks for the advice. Hopefully I can be as good as Illrenmazou.

Box Modeling Psyke, Box modeling, you basically think of what you want, break it down into basic simple elements then put them back together There you go, you have a spaceship or a car.

I'll try 3DStudio max after I upgrade my rig, which I think would be next year.
    *Kicks my 1.6ghz PC*

I just installed 3D Studio Max, and have a good feel of the interface. Still starting out with the really basic stuff though. Any tips from the pros here would be very much appreciated. I'm thinking of starting small, but all those stuff from Illrenmazou really makes me wanna start with a Gundam...

If I recall, 3d studio comes with a series of basic tutorials to get you started.
    ...depends on whether you downloaded the smaller or larger version

Also...i highly recommend the 3ds max video tutorials on 3dbuzz.com
    Don't skip the preliminary UI overview videos. There are lots of small tools that are easy to overlook in the UI, but add a LOT to your workflow if you know how to use them.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

St33v speaks the truth, before you start to actually build something, try to learn what most of the UI does.
    -----------------

I've already looked through the basic set of tutorials, but I think there's another move advanced set some where. Will also try to look up 3dbuzz.com when I can. Thanks!

Holy cow!
    That is some god damn skills buddy. Man I wish i had the practice time and skills. can you do characters besides mecha not trying to be rude or anything.

Sadly no. Making organic/irregular shaped objects in SketchUp is a pain. Unless I pick up a better program like 3D Studio Max, I'll just stick on making mechas.

Someone from Mechatalk asked me if I can translate his Franken Gundam art into 3D:

Here's the progress so far:
    Front-Left
    Back-Right
    Front
    Left
    Back

Looking sweet!! Do show us the completed model once you're done!