Page 145 of 159 FirstFirst ... 4595135141142143144145146147148149155 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,900 of 3180

Thread: In the news today

Quote Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
    I used to hate Bill O'reilly. But the older I get, the more I enjoy his show. Granted he's biased, outdated, and often plays to an audience. But the Jon Steward is also biased (albeit less so) and plays to his audience as well.
    Bill O'reilly is actually very intelligent, but he loves to play the right-wing bigot since it pulls in so much more rating than rational and intelligent commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
    I used to hate Bill O'reilly. But the older I get, the more I enjoy his show. Granted he's biased, outdated, and often plays to an audience. But the Jon Steward is also biased (albeit less so) and plays to his audience as well.
    Stewart is biased, but widely held to be fairly moderate with his own views. Of course his show appeals to liberals so he plays up that bias, but mostly he rails against people who are too far left or right.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Dragon View Post
    Bill O'reilly is actually very intelligent, but he loves to play the right-wing bigot since it pulls in so much more rating than rational and intelligent commentary.
    He's intelligent but not quick on his feet. And you're right about playing the bigot to draw ratings. Just look at CNN to see how bad your ratings will be if you take a middle-of-the-road approach to the news.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Quote Originally Posted by Uchiha Barles View Post
    Furthermore, the song is social satire, so for those who can understand it, there is intellectual validity in the lyrics. To just dismiss that on account of ignorance is crass.
    If kpoplyrics.net has even remotely correct translation of the song, the social satire is rather light in it. In fact I don't really see much satire in the words at all, but maybe it's so much directed at Koreans that you'd need to know them to truly get it. But yeah, the song is certainly not gibberish based on that translation.

Yeah I've heard the satire is that PSY doesn't actually represent or live the rich, snobbish Gangnam style, he's just copping off it for the song. Not really a powerful message.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Awesome user with default custom title Uchiha Barles's Avatar
    Here's the article I read awhile back concerning the satire, although it's not just in the lyrics. The video's important to it as well.

Gangnam Style satirizes a subset of korean culture.

The article mentions that the satire is indeed gentle and nowhere near as subversive as you'd expect from artists here in the states or England. At the same time though, Korea is very different and even this level of satire is something to take note of, particularly because of how popular the video's become. I remember seeing a video of Psy himself mentioning some of these points. If I can find it again I'll link it in here.
    "You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it, your time has come. This time you will stand alone and fight for yourselves. Now you will pay for your freedom in the currency of honest toil and human blood."

- Inquisitor Czevak

What you're missing is that the vast vast vast majority of those who made the song/video popular are not Koreans, don't care about the satire as it pertains to Korean culture, and don't know what he's singing. So in a way O'reilly and co. are right about the song's popularity being nothing more than a catchy beat and silliness in the video.

edit: If you think O'reilly and co were harsh on the original song, wait until they critique the version where Hyena sings more lines:
    Last edited by Animeniax; Fri, 11-30-2012 at 09:17 PM.

Nobody pretends to be a huge bigot for a decade. They either started out or very quickly became actual bigots pretending to themselves it was all an act.

Well the conservatives have plenty of ammo to blast PSY with after a story was released that he rapped anti-American lyrics back in 2004 amid Korean anger at the US, calling for the deaths of American soldiers in Iraq after two Korean girls were killed by American soldiers in a vehicle accident. He didn't write the lyrics, just performed them with other rappers. Apparently the right wing pundits are already all over the story.

So are they going to go after the dozens of American bands that actually wrote similar things during the Bush era?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    So are they going to go after the dozens of American bands that actually wrote similar things during the Bush era?
    Only if they're foreigners with a mega hit that the conservatives think is gibberish and a sign of the liberal pox that is destroying traditional America. That's the kind of double standard right wing pundits hold people to. Plenty of negative comments about PSY on his youtube video too.

As complete of a reunion for Nirvana as you're going to get is happening tonight during the benefit concert for hurricane Sandy victims. Paul McCartney will be standing in for Kurt.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/...ml?no_takeover

Not sure what to expect from McCartney trying to sing angsty Cobain stuff, but its being streamed so I guess I'll get to see it.
    "You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it, your time has come. This time you will stand alone and fight for yourselves. Now you will pay for your freedom in the currency of honest toil and human blood."

- Inquisitor Czevak

Not sure what to expect from McCartney trying to sing angsty Cobain stuff, but its being streamed so I guess I'll get to see it.
    That's easy, expect some attention whoring. That's what McCartney does these days. He's like Bono, but less of a douchebag.

For what it's worth...
    "If it was up to me, I’d get more oil tanker drivers drunk. I don’t value music much. I like the Beatles, but I hate Paul McCartney. I like Led Zeppelin, but I hate Robert Plant. I like the Who, but I hate Roger Daltrey." -Kurt Cobain

I used to think that about rock stars like Steven Tyler when he was on American Idol... why don't you just enjoy what you've done and fade away? Then I saw the Sandy benefit special where he sang "Dream On" while playing piano with Perry on guitar. Even after all these years, dude still has it, and his work entitles him to forever hold a part in the spotlight.

If McCartney is covering Cobain, I guess he gets the last laugh. And don't forget, Cobain loved Courtney Love.

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    If McCartney is covering Cobain, I guess he gets the last laugh. And don't forget, Cobain loved Courtney Love.
    lollol! *Kurt Cobain rolls in grave*, Paul McCartney say "yeah...that's right...this is happening..." The funny thing is, they were all already jamming together when McCartney finally realized he was jamming with Nirvana. I remember rumors going around that Kurt and Dave didn't like each other much, so I wonder if this means a little more than meets the eye. I for one, did not know that Kurt "hated" Paul McCartney.

edit: Clapton is ripping it up right now.

- Inquisitor Czevak

lollol! *Kurt Cobain rolls in grave*, Paul McCartney say "yeah...that's right...this is happening..." The funny thing is, they were all already jamming together when McCartney finally realized he was jamming with Nirvana. I remember rumors going around that Kurt and Dave didn't like each other much, so I wonder if this means a little more than meets the eye. I for one, did not know that Kurt "hated" Paul McCartney.

edit: Clapton is ripping it up right now.
    I think Cobain pretty much hated everything, including himself. I doubt it was a personal dislike for McCartney, just what he represents, but who knows.

I'm still shocked how guys who can make great music together can hate each other so much. I guess it's like they say, the same passion you feel to make something beautiful can also make you hate more deeply.

Maybe he hated somebody who could later, even temporarily, substitute him...

Cobain was a lot of things, but not prescient. From the quote, it sounds like he was a hater.

You're reading the quote far too literally. He is listing all the bands he likes, then stating he hated their frontmen. The quote as a whole is interesting because Cobain was Nirvana's frontman.

Depending on your point of view, the Beatles either had no frontman, or they had two, Paul and John. He lists Paul, and not John, showing which one he had a huge amount of respect for. For The Who, he lists Daltry, but not Townshend, who wrote most of the songs in their heyday.

Plant, Daltry, and McCartney were always very visible parts of their bands. Lennon, not so much. Cobain himself was very reserved during interviews and the like.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Thu, 12-13-2012 at 04:16 AM. Reason: for clarity

Nah, I was being flippant about the quote, I'm sure there's a lot more meaning to it. The frontman of any group is usually the one to make a name for himself and move beyond the band into a solo career, as they're the voice of the band and often the one who writes the songs. If that's a reason to hate them, then it must be an artist thing. Maybe some jealously or some artistic sensibility.

...It's kind of impressive how off-base you are.