Page 57 of 159 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107157 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 3180

Thread: In the news today

It's quite funny an export and import dependent country is so hostile toward foreigners. But then again, it's extremely efficient popularistic domestic politics.

Well, whatever, as long as new anime and manga are being produced.

Awesome user with default custom title Pandadice's Avatar
    you know, when you read something like that, "I don't want japan to be a multiethnic society" statement, at first I was like super disgusted and ready to complain about the xenophobes. but i can kinda see what they mean.. and agree with it.

Japan has such a rich and unique history and culture, even modern culture, and I'd hate to see that get suppressed because other ethnicities start moving in.

user posted image

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Funny that this topic gets discussed again:

http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread...=japan+culture

While it's good and all to say "we should protect something by not letting in outside influence", who are we to say that? You might as well leave it up to natural selection to decide what goes and what stays.

It's sad to see people rejecting each other's cultures on such grounds, but I can still see it as a controversial topic. While I don't think we should distance ourselves like this, in general we as humans are all about protecting native flora and fauna by keeping foreign "pests" out.

I don't know what to think anymore.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Diet vs. Exercise for Weight Loss

Everyone likes to attack weight loss differently. There are those who like to combine exercise and nutrition; others change their eating only; and some would rather hit the gym and run rather than give up their favorite foods.
    I don't know much about dieting, since I never tried it before. All I know is that exercising is much, much better than dieting alone. The foods you eat is probably a nutritional benefactor to your daily needs, but it could also be harmful if you intake too much unwanted fat.
    I am training in the shadows.
    Currently playing: All of your games, probably.

Awesome user with default custom title poopdeville's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian
    I'm surprised such a problem existed in the first place. No background check for lending someone a gun? Whether you're going to own a gun or just use one, you should have the same requirements for both. You need a license to drive, whether it's your own car or a mate's, so I don't see why it should be any different.
    You don't need a license to own or use a gun in the US. Heck, in Florida and other states with big hunting grounds, you can own a gun at any age, if your parents buy it for you. Gun safety is important and can be taught to children, but this lady wasn't interested in that.

Depending on the state, you might need a license to conceal a gun. (That is, wear it in a hidden holster.) Depending on the state, you may not need a license to wear one in a non-hidden holster. You do not need a license to carry a gun in a gun box. Or to use it (but you better make damn sure you know what you're doing, because you are liable for your actions)
    "After all, I am strangely colored."

Quote Originally Posted by darkshadow
    It's not going to matter in a couple of years. Japan already has 70 year olds caring for their 90+ year old parents. The bubble in Japan is going to pop so badly that they will be forced to do exactly what they are trying to prevent here. Why do you think that Japanese scientists are pushing the limits of robotics so hard? It's not for the technology, or the pleasure of accomplishment. It is so that the elderly will be taken care of by robots.

As a country, they are killing themselves due to longevity as absurdly low birth rates. Guess where they rank on birth rate? 191 out of 195 according to the UN, or 191 out of 191 by the CIA Factbook.

One way or another, their xenophobic policies are not long for this world. One more generation, tops.

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Japan needs to get their shit together and stop being afraid of the outside world. What a ridiculous, short-sighted, and borderline racist thing to say. Ryllharu is right. They are going to learn the hard way soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadouku
    Diet vs. Exercise for Weight Loss

I don't know much about dieting, since I never tried it before. All I know is that exercising is much, much better than dieting alone.
    Sorry, you've got it completely backwards.

Eating healthily and not exercising is so much more beneficial to you than exercising and eating terribly.

Also man, there's a thread for diet and exercise in this here forum. Lots of good information there, too.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Quote Originally Posted by XanBcoo
    Also man, there's a thread for diet and exercise in this here forum. Lots of good information there, too.
    Hmm, I see.

But, who wouldn't want to do both the "good" for the greatest factor?
    I am training in the shadows.
    Currently playing: All of your games, probably.

Someone who has very little time or money to go to a gym or exercise properly.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Awesome user with default custom title Pandadice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XanBcoo
    Japan needs to get their shit together and stop being afraid of the outside world. What a ridiculous, short-sighted, and borderline racist thing to say. Ryllharu is right. They are going to learn the hard way soon enough.
    I think it'd be wrong to simply write it off as racism. though i can definitely see why you'd say that.

I think that there is a very fine line here between preserving cultural points, and xenophobic racism. It's not that they're trying to get rid of, or ignore, or diminish other cultures. they're just trying to keep them definably different, and keep them separate.

it's like, if you want to enjoy Korean ethnic culture, then you can visit them and experience it. but here in Japan, we're going to try and keep our authentic ethnic culture alive and unique, so that not only us, but others can learn of it and experience it too.

I think, looking at it in the way I just explained it, I can definitely understand where they're coming from, and support it.

user posted image

Quote Originally Posted by Pandadice
    I think that there is a very fine line here between preserving cultural points, and xenophobic racism. It's not that they're trying to get rid of, or ignore, or diminish other cultures. they're just trying to keep them definably different, and keep them separate.
    but here in Japan, we're going to try and keep our authentic ethnic culture alive and unique, so that not only us, but others can learn of it and experience it too.
    Bullshit.

You just described a consdensed version of the justification that all too many have used for ethnic clensing. You did a pretty admirable job not using the word, "Purify," while still hitting on the concept. They're just not using lethal force to do it.

If they want the international business, and they want the tourism, Japan needs to stop acting so two-faced.

It's this kind of behavior that also has the Chinese pissed off at them all time. Like their new PM making an offering to the Yasukuni Shrine a few days ago (almost always after they promise not to go for the improvement of international relations) or the issues the Chinese made a fuss about textbooks watering-down the attrocities that the international war criminals honored at the Yasukuni shrine committed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu
    Like their new PM making an offering to the Yasukuni Shrine a few days ago (almost always after they promise not to go for the improvement of international relations) or the issues the Chinese made a fuss about textbooks watering-down the attrocities that the international war criminals honored at the Yasukuni shrine committed.
    As far as I know, the shrine isn't there to honour war criminals but all those who died fighting for the Japanese Empire. According to Wikipedia it lists 2.5 million names. War criminals make up a tiny portion of it. Most of those people never committed any war crimes and deserve to be remembered by the progeny. I'm not saying it wouldn't be better if the criminals were somewhere else instead, but this is how they decided to do it.

It was just a recent example, probably not the best one to prove my point in retrospect.

Furthermore, for me (see location at left) to remark negatively on their form of nationalism is the ultimate pot calling the kettle black. The term may not have originated in the US, but the US is the first country most people think of when they use the term "Jingoism."

Quote Originally Posted by Pandadice
    it's like, if you want to enjoy Korean ethnic culture, then you can visit them and experience it. but here in Japan, we're going to try and keep our authentic ethnic culture alive and unique, so that not only us, but others can learn of it and experience it too.
    Ryllharu said it very well. It's one thing to honor and preserve a culture's rich history, but it's another thing altogether to try and prevent outside sources from "tainting" it.

Number of works of fiction that made me shed at least one tear: 3
    Thou seeketh soul power, dost thou not?
    TOX: 33524385841A92B08787EEBEBA2DB51ED293C4F15A2E292F3F C92165E82388281433A77EA8FE

Don't have a link (and even if I had it would be in spanish so meh...) but every school level (from kindergarden to college) is suspended on Mexico City and Monterrey Nuevo Leon until May 6th. San Luis Potosi seems to have this as well.

Restaurants, Movie theathers, parks, concerts and sport events are also cancelled until may 6th.

We at work have to have our mouths covered, wash our hands upon entering and most importantly we can't shake hands or have any kind of physical contact with co-workers.

Reason? The Influenza Porcina (I am too lazy to seek a translation). It seems there are about 90 dead and 2000 infected people already. It infects only through saliva contact, so people need to sneeze directly to their elbows or a tissue.

Interesting situation here in Mexico. LOL.

Seems this virus began on USA and came here. I've heard there are infected on New York and California as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RyougaZell
    Don't have a link (and even if I had it would be in spanish so meh...)

Reason? The Influenza Porcina (I am too lazy to seek a translation). It seems there are about 90 dead and 2000 infected people already. It infects only through saliva contact, so people need to sneeze directly to their elbows or a tissue.

Interesting situation here in Mexico. LOL.

Seems this virus began on USA and came here. I've heard there are infected on New York and California as well.
    It's not hard to find a link to English media, it is all any of them are talking about today. You probably don't even need to list a specific link, it'll be a top page item on all of the regular scaremongering outlets (CNN, MSNBC, FOX, ABC, etc). It's a gold mine for them, since bird flu and SARS didn't pan out for them the way they wanted. It's kind of disgusting the way they are treating this, especially considering the death toll in Mexico. Very few of them are actually admitting that most (if not all) of the victims in the US are making a complete recovery due to a pretty good supply of Tamiflu (Oseltamivir) that we had left over from flu season.

They've been calling it "Swine Flu."

Here's the CDC's link though.
    http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/swineflu_you.htm

Funny thing is, United States media is blaming Mexico as the origin of the flu, and saying anyone infected here is because they came back from Spring Break down in Mexico. Homeland Security says they are exaggerating the threat in the US to get health care providers and hospitals off their ass.

Stay healthy RZ!
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Mon, 04-27-2009 at 03:48 PM.

Thanks for the link Ryll.
    It seems though that the media is saying this isn't the swine flu though, but a mutation that came from it (and the aviar one). I don't really know what is going on though.

Rumor says that this infection began several months ago, but that it was kept in the dark because Obama was coming to Mexico.

Either way... there a lot of rumors flying around. There's been one death on Monterrey so far, while there are over 90 at Mexico City.

Its on the news here too, well i hope that people 'll do what Japanese do when they are ill - they wear a mask to not infect anyone.
    Number of works of fiction that made me shed at least one tear: 3
    Thou seeketh soul power, dost thou not?
    TOX: 33524385841A92B08787EEBEBA2DB51ED293C4F15A2E292F3F C92165E82388281433A77EA8FE

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Good thing that this shutdown happened AFTER you B'day I suppose, Zell? Anyways, just make it to your next

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~