Page 56 of 159 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106156 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 3180

Thread: In the news today

@Xel

Yes, and that's why they aren't going anywhere, appeals will be made for years until in the end they are found not guilty. This whole thing is just stupid.
    -----------------

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    To quote from the article:
    "The court first tried whether there was any question of breach of copyright by the file-sharing application and that has been proved, that the offence was committed.

"The court then moved on to look at those who acted as a team to operate the Pirate Bay file-sharing service, and the court found that they knew that material which was protected by copyright but continued to operate the service," he said.
    It's not being very specific about how the court came to the decision that PirateBay was infringing copyright, and if the point DS stated was brought up, how they handled it. Without knowing that, I don't think we can accurately predict whether or not the appeal change the decision.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian
    Facebook - one man's downfall:

http://www.iinet.net.au/customers/ne...es/803123.html

You know I was boycotting facebook until a few days ago, going against the "everyone has it" trend. I knew my previous decision was right
    Unless you're a moronic drug trafficker who decides to plaster his picture all over the place, I doubt facebook will be your downfall.

What secrets are you keeping, sir?

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Quote Originally Posted by XanBcoo
    Unless you're a moronic drug trafficker who decides to plaster his picture all over the place, I doubt facebook will be your downfall.

What secrets are you keeping, sir?
    Pharmacy does give me a lot of opportunities....:P
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Sat, 04-18-2009 at 08:14 PM.

10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar
    Hook me up w\ some xanax, 1mg x 200 plz.

Record attempt reaps 217K texts, $26K phone bill

PHILADELPHIA - Their thumbs sure must be sore. Two central Pennsylvania friends spent most of March in a text-messaging record attempt, exchanging a thumbs-flying total of 217,000. For one of the two, that meant an inches-thick itemized bill for $26,000.
    Texting is a serious business.
    I am training in the shadows.
    Currently playing: All of your games, probably.

Number of works of fiction that made me shed at least one tear: 3
    Thou seeketh soul power, dost thou not?
    TOX: 33524385841A92B08787EEBEBA2DB51ED293C4F15A2E292F3F C92165E82388281433A77EA8FE

They misspelled "with" but otherwise that's an awesome picture!!!!!

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

and related to the topic too.
    TOX: 33524385841A92B08787EEBEBA2DB51ED293C4F15A2E292F3F C92165E82388281433A77EA8FE

Saudi police 'stopped' fire rescue

Saudi Arabia's religious police stopped schoolgirls from leaving a blazing building because they were not wearing correct Islamic dress, according to Saudi newspapers.

In a rare criticism of the kingdom's powerful "mutaween" police, the Saudi media has accused them of hindering attempts to save 15 girls who died in the fire on Monday.

About 800 pupils were inside the school in the holy city of Mecca when the tragedy occurred.
    One witness said he saw three policemen "beating young girls to prevent them from leaving the school because they were not wearing the abaya".
    Holy shit.

Also the school was locked at the time, to ensure segregation of the sexes.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Wow, beating people up because they're not wearing the right clothing is just madness.
    I am training in the shadows.
    Currently playing: All of your games, probably.

At least the leader of the said religious police got fired not long ago. The man was born a few hundred years too late; he would have been in high demand in Spain's inquisition during the darkest centuries.

Honestly, somebody who prevents students from leaving a burning building because of a missing scarf, or something, and watches them to die is no longer a human being. Saudis should feel really sorry for themselves for raising such generations of citizens. A doomed country, no matter how much oil they have.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    Saudis should feel really sorry for themselves for raising such generations of citizens. A doomed country, no matter how much oil they have.
    Meanwhile, American feminists complain about the misrepresentation of women in the new Zac Effron movie 17 Again...

http://www.feministing.com/archives/014993.html

Not to say that just because some other country has it worse we should ignore our own problems, but Goddamn. I'm glad my nutzo feminist acquaintance posts stuff like this on her facebook. Otherwise I'd have no way to confirm my suspicion that feminists in America will whine about anything.
    Last edited by XanBcoo; Thu, 04-23-2009 at 04:39 PM.

I don't know if i should feel sad for them, or just anger on that damned policeman.
    And in my opinion feminists are just plain stupid - they complain that they are not equal etc etc, but look at that - they have other privileges than we, man, do not have. I would understood that they would want to exchange them for "equality" but(at lest the ones here) want to have those privileges and be "equal" - so they get same as us and want even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Xelbair
    And in my opinion feminists are just plain stupid - they complain that they are not equal etc etc, but look at that - they have other privileges than we, man, do not have. I would understood that they would want to exchange them for "equality" but(at lest the ones here) want to have those privileges and be "equal" - so they get same as us and want even more.
    Yeah, there may be plenty of feminists like that, but the worst part is they give the moderate and reasonable feminists a bad name. I've known a few real feminists (yes, some were lesbians) and they really didn't care about having privileges as well as equality. One told me outright that if she wanted equality, she'd have to accept that things like chivalrous behavior would die too.

I've always liked to distinguish the "have their cake and eat it too" feminists as femnazis. It's just another sad case of the vocal minority giving the whole crowd a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu
    I've always liked to distinguish the "have their cake and eat it too" feminists as femnazis
    Yeah, sorry. Let me backpedal a bit and say that that's who I was referring to. Women who start feminist blogs and argue that because rape occasionally occurs in fiction then that means we as a society completely condone it.

Guess I was just trying to put their complaints in perspective against, you know, actual sexism like in Saudi Arabia.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryll
    One told me outright that if she wanted equality, she'd have to accept that things like chivalrous behavior would die too.
    Exactly, which reminds me of that post where someone argued that in a relatively equal society such as ours, we should take "women" out of "women and children first".

Otherwise, it's amazing how people can uphold ideals written in a book (are they even written in there, or simply inferred?) over the value of a human life.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu
    Yeah, there may be plenty of feminists like that, but the worst part is they give the moderate and reasonable feminists a bad name. I've known a few real feminists (yes, some were lesbians) and they really didn't care about having privileges as well as equality. One told me outright that if she wanted equality, she'd have to accept that things like chivalrous behavior would die too.
    I guess a part of the problem is that women got the right to vote, work independently, not to be married against their will, and other such basic rights already a hundred years ago (in the West), so now they are anymore fighting for what could be called much smaller things. Thus they look a lot more petty, no matter how good intentions some of them might still have, like the same pay for the same job.

I have never supported complete, dull equality, because it would indeed destroy some good cultural differences, like some of those chivalrous manners. As long as there are no real obstacles for either sex, little differences should remain for a more interesting world.

Japan Pays Foreign Workers to Go Home

That's pretty terrible, especially with statements like this:
    But Mr. Kawasaki said the economic slump was a good opportunity to overhaul Japan’s immigration policy as a whole.

“We should stop letting unskilled laborers into Japan. We should make sure that even the three-K jobs are paid well, and that they are filled by Japanese,” he said. “I do not think that Japan should ever become a multiethnic society.”
    -----------------