Page 9 of 159 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast

Thread: In the news today

Last edited by DB_Hunter; Mon, 07-16-2007 at 02:30 PM.

Angry Cell Subscriber Goes On Tower Hunt

A man appeared in court in Sydney on Saturday after driving an armored personnel carrier and demolishing six mobile phone towers.
    The local police Chief Inspector Guy Haberley said his men managed to stop and arrest the 45-year-old man while making his way to a seventh tower.
    "He continued to destroy mobile tower communications sheds by crashing through the perimeter fence and colliding with structures, causing significant damage," Haberley was quoted as saying.
    The charges against the 45-year-old include malicious damage, breaking and entering , predatory driving and driving in a dangerous manner.
    From CNN

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    no article yet.
    My mom called me 20 minutes ago, in an absolute panic from outside of Grand Central Station in NYC. She said she'd entered the main hub of the station when the lights flickered for a minute. People looked around, but seemed to go back to normal when suddenly dozens of people from the areas where trains are boarded came running out into the center.

Panic ensued and people were yelling about explosions. People were running out of Grand Central as fast as they could. And when they got outside, smoke/steam was pouring up from a nearby area.

Naturally, there's zero news on this for about 10 minutes.

Initial reports are: 2 injured, four-alarm fire, the cause being a "non-suspicious transformer malfunction" that was also reported as a manhole burst (like that can cause that much smoke/steam...) Everyone from the transit authority on AM radio is saying that no terrorism was involved.

All live reports from the city says that Midtown is still in somewhat of chaos. Subways and trains are ordered to skip Grand Central (how my mom is getting home, i have no idea...) and they're closing off about half a dozen streets around the area.

edit - upgraded to a five alarm fire. Reported cause: 20inch steam pipe burst. Grand Central is shut down and police have ordered the subway and buses to avoid that area (they'd been running for awhile afterwards, but precautionary orders to close them came in), 3 injured, 2 critically.

Confirmed that one of the initial fears that was initially spread is not true. My mom told me that, she'd "thought a building came down". And several eyewitnesses and others in the area reporting in have said that that was one of the most prominent possiblities being flung around as people fled for their lives from the area. Seeing all that steam and smoke, it's understandable that first reactions were about buildings collapsing...
    Last edited by masamuneehs; Wed, 07-18-2007 at 06:10 PM.

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Lasers? Cookies? FTW!
    (universally beloved
    moderator ex-emerita)
    It's strange when the news hits so close to home. This is one of the top stories on CBC today.

Search continues for boy, 5, in Eastern Ont.

The farm where the boy's parents work is my parents' farm. My mom has been out searching for hours, both yesterday and today. It's been over 24 hours now, and I can't even imagine what the Berg family is going through. The news is somehow a whole lot different when you know the people involved.

Last seen on 3 P.M. sunday huh. I can only imagine what the kids going through. Originally from Mexico, speaking very little english and knows mostly German. Is the farm itself that big KitZ? I highly doubt a five year old would be able to find food for himself, even in a farm. I'm imagining hes far too short to be climbing trees.

You'd think the search would be continuous with a kid that young.
    Don't believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you.

Lasers? Cookies? FTW!
    (universally beloved
    moderator ex-emerita)
    The search was continuous. The police, military, and fire department have been out there the whole time. The farm where the boy disappeared was actually down the road a bit, since they were visiting friends there. There's a good few hundred acres of fields and woods.

I just got an email from my mom that they found him in the cornfield. The CBC article has been updated (they're fast with the updates!) and confirms that he appears to be fine. Everyone is really relieved.

Yeah....just came across this.

Um....not for the weak of heart?

Actual Crash: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=da6_1185572136

All 4 Deads Friend: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=882_1185574862

In the first video you can hear the actual fading scream......it just got chilly in my room.....
    Don't believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you.

Wow....you can even hear the some of the sound as it they fall out of the sky. That's pretty freaky.

...*shivers*

also, some news that I'll be shocked if anyone else gives two shits about... well, actually, all you Canadians should care, because it's your resources they're trying to jack...

Guardian - Russia laying claim to resources at North Pole

"This isn't the 15th century. You can't go around the world and just plant flags and say, we're claiming this territory," the Canadian foreign minister, Peter MacKay, told CTV television.

Sergei Balyasnikov, a spokesman for the Arctic and Antarctic Institute, said. "It's a very important move for Russia to demonstrate its potential in the Arctic. It's like putting a flag on the moon."

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Wow, Russia just went Colonial on Canada's ass, I bet DF will be deployed to go fight the Russians for that land!

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    http://blog.wired.com/defense/2007/0...wnational.html

Robots have been roaming the streets of Iraq, since shortly after the war began. Now, for the first time -- the first time in any warzone -- the machines are carrying guns.

After years of development, three "special weapons observation remote reconnaissance direct action system" (SWORDS) robots have deployed to Iraq, armed with M249 machine guns. The 'bots "haven't fired their weapons yet," Michael Zecca, the SWORDS program manager, tells DANGER ROOM. "But that'll be happening soon."

The SWORDS -- modified versions of bomb-disposal robots used throughout Iraq -- were first declared ready for duty back in 2004. But concerns about safety kept the robots from being sent over the the battlefield. The machines had a tendency to spin out of control from time to time. That was an annoyance during ordnance-handling missions; no one wanted to contemplate the consequences during a firefight.
    I can't decide if these killer-robots going out of control is awesome or not.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

xan, thank you, you gave me a way to kill two hours today, looking up automated 'soldier' weapon systems... 0_o

Cop shoots snake, kills 5 year old boy
    Unbelievable. He'll probably get off scott-free too...

Awesome user with default custom title The Heretic Azazel's Avatar
    And the guy's on paid leave too. Most cops I've encountered are morons but this guy really takes it a step further.
    "They call it 'The American Dream' because you have to be asleep to believe it" - George Carlin

The article even said there's a possibility they started shooting after the house owner suggested it. That would be even worse. In any case, very unprofessional officers. They shouldn't be policemen at all.

People often forget, what goes up, must come down, unless it hits something else in the way. Pretty sad story. Now fishing is too dangerous because of gun violence...

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Awesome user with default custom title The Heretic Azazel's Avatar
    "They call it 'The American Dream' because you have to be asleep to believe it" - George Carlin

Dane Cook is right....all major accidents always result in the victims' shoes launching into the air.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AssertnFailure
    Dane Cook is right....all major accidents always result in the victims' shoes launching into the air.
    I don't even like Dane Cook all that much and it's the first thing I noticed about the crash.

Then I replayed it and laughed at the Tekken combos he did before meeting the floor.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Major day in the news... lots of stuff going on around the world.

Federal Banks pump Billions into financial markets
    Basically, all of the high risk credit/loan operations are getting severely fucked (like loans for real estate purchases by people with bad credit/no assets) and this has all the banks shitting their pants that there will be a decline in loans and credit, which gives the banks oodles of money and makes it seem like people have money to spend when they're actually doing it on borrowed cash.

So the US Federal Reserve dropped $60 billion towards banks for loan/credit programs IN THE PAST TWO DAYS, and now European and Asian central banks are all doing the same. The temporary result is a stabilization of a rather large stock and security market drop.

I say shit isn't going to even out. The lending and credit system is broken by its very design, and now that people are realizing that, the only thing keeping it afloat is massive aid from governments and risky investors. There has been a massive amount of trading on Wall Street over the past three weeks (and I mean massive) because everyone is running around dumping stocks they think are going to fail, while others snap them up because the stock is low and they think it'll make a comeback. All this insecurity and volatility will probably weed out some of the really shady and crappy mortgage/loan corporations, which I think is good, but I think it'll take billions more of federal assistance before this thing really stabilizes.

More news
    Remember that story about how Russia sent down deep Arctic explorers in an attempt to 'claim' fertile seabeds in the Northernmost regions?
    Well, Canada is responding, by building two military bases in the region

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian prime minister, Stephen Harper
    "Canada's new government understands that the first principle of Arctic sovereignty is: use it or lose it. Today's announcements tell the world that Canada has a real, growing, long-term presence in the Arctic."
    Article also mentions that the U.S. and Denmark are also setting up plans to take part in the "land-grab".

Finally, following the long-awaited U.N. Security Council resolution to do something about Darfur... UN decides to expand role in Iraq

Quote Originally Posted by masamuneehs
    Remember that story about how Russia sent down deep Arctic explorers in an attempt to 'claim' fertile seabeds in the Northernmost regions?
    Well, Canada is responding, by building two military bases in the region

Article also mentions that the U.S. and Denmark are also setting up plans to take part in the "land-grab".
    Well, all I can hope is that a war will break out up there over the resources so that the rest of us, not able to make any claims without borders up there, would at least get some entertainment. With the USA, Canada, Russia, Norway and Denmark, it would be something quite different compared to those unilateral wars against Serbia, Taliban or Iraq. Aye... It would be a nice high-tech war not like anything we would have ever seen before outside of fiction; the news material, documentaries, and movies afterwards would be something to behold.