Page 60 of 159 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 3180

Thread: In the news today

Dang, these people are serious about their religion.
    I am training in the shadows.
    Currently playing: All of your games, probably.

This is a very classic case of people using religion as nothing but a tool of power. The principal was an expert at using the power as well, demonstrating the devious cunning of making it look like it's all the student's own fault, should he not comply. It's all still highly understandable seeing how isolated and ignorant people are far easier to rule than those with experience and knowledge. Better try to keep their students as blissfully oblivious of the real world as possible to keep them tame.

In all likeliness retribution by the principal would have no bearing. He does have substantial authority AT school, but he should have none when the day is over and the kid is already home. What if the kid went to a high school dance in another state? What if he was on vacation half a world away, and went with a cousin to his school spring dance to hang out?
    I doubt anyone would argue that in these cases the principal has no power, however why should the proximity of the two schools have any bearing.

This principal is a bully. I don't think he cares about this kid as much as he cares about appearing to have authority.
    "In life, we constantly make decisions whether we are going to please self or please God. (Frost) chose one path, and the school committee chose the other," England said.
    God isn't happy unless you aren't happy. what bullshit.

The handbook for the 84-student Christian school says rock music "is part of the counterculture which seeks to implant seeds of rebellion in young people's hearts and minds." BWaaaaaahahahhahahahahahahhahahahah

To balance out the infuriating religious article here's one everyone will laugh at.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=6412895

"Provo police are investigating ... a van parked in a residential neighborhood with a sign on it, reading: 'free candy inside.'

... for neighbors who live in Provo's Grandview neighborhood, it raised serious concerns with them that a child predator could be targeting kids on the street.

Adults looked inside and did not see any candy, but they did see a mattress and some clothes in the back of the van. ...

... the van's owner, who is a college age student. He told officers he put up the sign a few days ago as part of a prank with his friends."

Not the actual van below, but close.

Last edited by Cal_kashi; Sat, 05-09-2009 at 09:41 AM.
    When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments. Here was a machine of precision and balance for the convenience of man. And (unlike subsequent inventions for man's convenience) the more he used it, the fitter his body became. Here, for once, was a product of man's brain that was entirely beneficial to those who used it, and of no harm or irritation to others. Progress should have stopped when man invented the bicycle. ~Elizabeth West, Hovel in theHills

Free candy van - classic - only thing it misses is pedobear inside.
    Number of works of fiction that made me shed at least one tear: 3
    Thou seeketh soul power, dost thou not?
    TOX: 33524385841A92B08787EEBEBA2DB51ED293C4F15A2E292F3F C92165E82388281433A77EA8FE

Heh, that's actually funny. At least the man was harmless.

most college students are
    When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments. Here was a machine of precision and balance for the convenience of man. And (unlike subsequent inventions for man's convenience) the more he used it, the fitter his body became. Here, for once, was a product of man's brain that was entirely beneficial to those who used it, and of no harm or irritation to others. Progress should have stopped when man invented the bicycle. ~Elizabeth West, Hovel in theHills

The end of trolling in America????

I would love to see this bill enacted just for the lulz of the potential situation where a person gets trolled, then they troll back using the threat of the law and then both end up getting thrown in jail for trolling each other. But realistically, this is a crazy idea, as much as I dislike trolling behavior if you can't accept that people might make it their business to screw with you online as much as possible then don't go where they are online or convince someone with some clout to get rid of them, don't go running to Uncle Sam.

I would probably be guilty of this law on multiple counts for some of the things I've said on IRC and I consider myself one of the nicer members of the channels I frequent. Just imagine trying to enforce this law on a place like 4chan.

That would be a crazy law. It won't probably pass. A law that could suddenly make millions of ordinary people criminals isn't a very wise one in any case, not to mention impossible to enforce.

It's too unrealistic, alright. Even if it did pass, it's just impossible to enforce it.

I don't see what's so unenforceable about this. It's fairly vague as to what would constitute a violation thus any conviction would essentially come down to a roll of the jury selection dice. As for finding people to prosecute they found the mom who created the fake myspace account which lead to the Meier girl killing herself. If this law was on the books they could charge that mother criminally under it instead of trying to use the nonsensical violation of MySpace ToS argument that they are/were trying to get her under. At the same time, anyone could log negative internet conversations directed towards them, get someone to diagnose them as mentally disturbed and then have the owner of the account which originated the negative comments sent to jail.

Plenty of stupid pieces of legislation have been passed because the politicians voting on them didn't know or didn't care about the effect such legislation might have on people due to the affected people not being considered important voting blocks. It is my belief that despite the success of President Obama's internet campaigning the internet demographic is still not taken particularly seriously by politicians.
    Last edited by Yukimura; Mon, 05-11-2009 at 02:04 PM.

Well, this law would potentially "jail" so much people that the system can't even handle it and would also depend on the case on how they even interpret trolling, like the article states. It's just how life goes: someone trolls you, you get emotions, and you deal with it. If you win, then you move on. If you lose, then it ends there.

This woman was a bitch, she deserved every single nasty remark pointed at her, but putting her in jail for something stupid like this is a violation of every freedom that we stand for in this country. When you can't make nasty remarks over the internet, you can't make nasty remarks to someone's face. When you can't make nasty remarks to someone's face, you can't make disparaging remarks about those who govern you. When you can't do that, you are powerless before them.

Megan Meier had mental issues. It's a tragedy that her parents never noticed it, and that she never talked to them about it. There wasn't anything that woman did that pushed her over the brink that wouldn't have happened sooner or later if Lori Drew hadn't done anything at all. The girl needed help, no one gave it to her.

This is a law that will only be used (read: abused) by those with enough power or wealth to have it enforced. A modern lettres de cachet.

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
    - H. L. Mencken

She's a bitch, and a childish one at that, but she's not a criminal.

We've already got one nanny state across the pond, we don't need to follow their example. People here need to start sucking it up. People are mean, life is harsh, school is not meant to be easy. Grow up.

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu
    Megan Meier had mental issues. It's a tragedy that her parents never noticed it, and that she never talked to them about it. There wasn't anything that woman did that pushed her over the brink that wouldn't have happened sooner or later if Lori Drew hadn't done anything at all.
    Oh my dear Lord, I didn't even read the article. Are they really citing Megan Meier's case as a cause for this law?? That depressed little so and so killed herself because she was a nutcase, not because she was "trolled."

Like you said, she had psychological issues before, but her parents actually were aware of that fact, and did nothing more to prevent her from using myspace except saying "don't go on myspace."

You're absolutely right. She would have offed herself anyway.
    Last edited by XanBcoo; Mon, 05-11-2009 at 06:08 PM.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Quote Originally Posted by XanBcoo
    Are they really citing Megan Meier's case as a cause for this law?
    Worse yet.

It's named after her.
    "HR 1966, the Megan Meier Cyberbullying Prevention Act"

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu
    It's named after her.
    "HR 1966, the Megan Meier Cyberbullying Prevention Act"
    Could this possibly be the pinnacle of "trolls trolling trolls?"

I really want to believe that people aren't so obtuse.

KIMOCHI~II

Quote Originally Posted by bagandscalpel

I really want to believe that people aren't so obtuse.
    I don't know yet what obtuse means, but whenever a sentence like this comes up, as in "God, I can't believe people are this stupid", the answer is usually yes

oh, so this is what it means... that sharpened my mind.

sig made by Itachi-y2k5, thanks, dude!
    Currently Watching: probably a show directed at 9 years old girls, lets be honest.

You know the important distinction between Batman and me? Batman is fictional. In real life, there isn't always an alternative.

In support of this, however...it does kinda suck ass when normal peoples' personal lives are mercilessly ruined due to trolls. The internet is a scary place sometimes.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Quote Originally Posted by Assertn
    In support of this, however...it does kinda suck ass when normal peoples' personal lives are mercilessly ruined due to trolls. The internet is a scary place sometimes.
    I don't know.

You may as well say that it does kinda suck ass when normal people's personal lives are mercilessly ruined due to other people. The only difference between online and offline abuse is that the other party can't physically hurt you. Guess that means internet connections should come with something akin to the surgeon general's warning.

Prioritization.

KIMOCHI~II

Depends on the ruining involved, but most stuff that comes from, say, 4chan would result in restraining orders IRL. People get away with a lot more over the internet, and the anonymity of it makes it all the more easier/tempting.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07