Page 104 of 159 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104105106107108114154 ... LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,080 of 3180

Thread: In the news today

Quote Originally Posted by XanBcoo View Post
    No, he was firing indiscriminately but apparently not actually aiming for anyone.

News story: http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...ooting_on.html
    Yes apparently he meant no harm to anyone and just wanted to be left alone to roam the campus with his assault rifle, but the SWAT team just wouldn't let him. You have to wonder what he planned to do with an AK-47 at 8AM on a Tuesday morning. It is around that time for the first wave of midterm exams (they call them midterms even though there's 3 of them during a semester).

At least this latest incident will help bring the issue of allowing concealed carry on campus back to the forefront. It was up for a vote in the last state legislative session, but the Dems effectively tabled it and some other pending legislation with a filibuster to stop voter ID or some such.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Yeah, well, but if this dude intended to kill nobody but himself, then it was better there weren't any self-appointed heroes trying to stop him. Some guy with a pea shooter trying to stop a guy with an AK47 might have resulted in unnecessary casualties in this particular case.

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    At least this latest incident will help bring the issue of allowing concealed carry on campus back to the forefront. It was up for a vote in the last state legislative session, but the Dems effectively tabled it and some other pending legislation with a filibuster to stop voter ID or some such.
    No

Just no

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

No

Just no
    Weird, my criminal justice sociology professor agrees with you. We had a fun discussion in class where a lot of uninformed people gave the usual defenses against it. I think too many people think it'll be cowboys and indians if you allow concealed carry on campuses. It's strange since concealed carry is allowed in so many places and we haven't achieved anarchy and all out warfare in those locations.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Minimizing risks and variables is not achieved by increasing them.

It's especially inane to imply that things could have gone better in this case since the result was the 2nd best case scenario (1st being the guy not offing himself). By all eyewitness reports he was not out to harm anyone.

Keep the guns if you want, but don't try to argue that it would make things any safer.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

No I wouldn't argue it would make anyone safer beyond myself (or whoever is the licensed carrier is). It also wouldn't make things any less safe, which is what opponents are arguing.

I agree most likely nothing would have changed in the particular case of the math major with the AK. Bu relying on eye witness reports doesn't tell the whole story. According to those reports, he did fire indiscriminately as he ran which definitely made for a hazardous situation. Also, one buddy's gf's friend's car got impounded by the police as evidence because a round hit the car. Not exactly victim-free.

Awesome user with default custom title Uchiha Barles's Avatar
    I'd like to think that if people were to go through a sufficiently rigorous process to be allowed to carry concealed firearms, that things would be safer, for everyone. Your big bad bravodo idiots in today's society might not be such idiots if they realized that there's a high chance that he'll be shot should he start trouble with someone, even if he's carrying a gun. Think mutually assured destruction. People would have SUCH manners...
    "You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it, your time has come. This time you will stand alone and fight for yourselves. Now you will pay for your freedom in the currency of honest toil and human blood."

- Inquisitor Czevak

Awesome user with default custom title The Heretic Azazel's Avatar
    Minimizing risks and variables is not achieved by increasing them.

It's especially inane to imply that things could have gone better in this case since the result was the 2nd best case scenario (1st being the guy not offing himself). By all eyewitness reports he was not out to harm anyone.

Keep the guns if you want, but don't try to argue that it would make things any safer.
    Sounds like the best case scenario to me, now taxpayers don't have to fund the incarceration of a lunatic.

Allowing concealed carries (and having a competent crisis response team) would have made the Columbine tragedy turn out a lot better than it did.
    "They call it 'The American Dream' because you have to be asleep to believe it" - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Uchiha Barles View Post
    I'd like to think that if people were to go through a sufficiently rigorous process to be allowed to carry concealed firearms, that things would be safer, for everyone. Your big bad bravodo idiots in today's society might not be such idiots if they realized that there's a high chance that he'll be shot should he start trouble with someone, even if he's carrying a gun. Think mutually assured destruction. People would have SUCH manners...
    One problem is that in states like Texas, it's not a rigorous process to get your CHL. But rigor is a relative measurement anyway.

Awesome user with default custom title The Heretic Azazel's Avatar
    "They call it 'The American Dream' because you have to be asleep to believe it" - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by The Heretic Azazel View Post
    He should have paid the fee. What are the odds he doesn't have home-owners insurance?

Lol protection money? ;P
    -----------------

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by darkshadow View Post
    Lol protection money? ;P
    Except they don't START a fire if you don't pay up ;P

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Wow what a bunch of douchebags. Proud to be an American.

There are people seriously defending this guy? The headline should read:
    "Man tries to cheat the system, gets what he deserves"

The fire department is legally obligated to save human lives even if they don't pay the $75. They've said that repeatedly. After that, they're not going to risk their lives beyond that unless the service has been paid for, through the common fund. The guy tried to offer them whatever it would take to save his house after the fact. But the fire department isn't going to do that because then no one would ever pay the $75. Estimated cost for putting his house out would have been around $11,000. How many people would pay that after the fact? The fire department isn't a collection agency.

I have zero sympathy for someone who tried to gamble and lost, then tries to backpedal as soon as he needs it. It's like a person driving around without auto insurance, then getting into an accident and demanding that a company pay for the totaled car, medical bills, and property damage by paying a single month's premium.

The worst part of this is the dumbass is getting a great deal of support from other idiots, monetarily or otherwise. I bet the federal government will even reach out to help his stupid ass.

Quote Originally Posted by darkshadow View Post
    Lol protection money? ;P
    It's called insurance.

Yeah, the guy sounds like a mooch, "I just figured they'd help me even if I didn't pay the fee." What's with people and their false sense of entitlement?
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Awesome user with default custom title UChessmaster's Avatar
    That guy got what he deserved, i feel bad for the rest of the family though.

75$ for fire "insurance"? monthly? is it like that in all of US?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu
    Estimated cost for putting his house out would have been around $11,000.
    11k for putting the house out? what do they throw at it!?
    You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful. -Marie Curie

Quote Originally Posted by UChessmaster View Post
    That guy got what he deserved, i feel bad for the rest of the family though.

No. I had no idea any place in the US had privatized fire safey, or whatever you'd call that. Also where does it say $75 per month?

That's like saying "$650 for an ambulance ride? What do they fuel it with?"
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Quote Originally Posted by Assertn View Post
    No. I had no idea any place in the US had privatized fire safey, or whatever you'd call that. Also where does it say $75 per month?
    No, this is a rare case. Most towns and other rural areas pay taxes (typically property tax), part of those taxes go to fund either volunteer fire departments, or full fire departments. This area of Tennessee voted repeatedly to not have taxes fund a fire dept for over 20 years. They instead pay $75 annually (way lower than my property taxes :/ ) for another municipality's fire dept to put out fires when they occur, and also to cover the emergency rescue of any people.

The US used to have private fire companies. However, at that time, the leading cause of fires was arson...committed by fire companies.

I've seen a few itemized estimates. Something like (shamelessly pulled from another site):

- 8 firefighters, billed at $200/hour for the duration. If it takes 3 hours of work, that's $4800.
    - $5000 for use of the truck.
    - $1000 for the water.
    - $500 for the call to dispatch.

Grand total: $11,300
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Thu, 10-07-2010 at 07:26 PM. Reason: for clarity

Awesome user with default custom title UChessmaster's Avatar
    Oh, i understand, i thought it was a bit much cause i burned my house once when i was 8, they charged us like... 150 US$

Quote Originally Posted by Assertn
    Also where does it say $75 per month?
    I sort of assumed that, refusing to pay a one time 75 payment for fire insurance would be kinda dumb, but not paying 75 a month makes a tiny bit more sense, with the economy and all. He should`ve payed the 75 per year...
    You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful. -Marie Curie