Thread: FMA Poster WIP

FMA Poster WIP

Hi

I am working on a poster for my boyfriend's birthday. FMA is his favorite anime, and I have only JUST started watching it (up to ep 12).

I am doing a preliminary photoshop pic, and then I am basically going to duplicate it in Illustrator after so the poster can be resizeable to any size and still be crisp (im turning it into a vector drawing).

So I have already started some of the work, so I will upload a few of the WIPs. The first pic is my sketch on the right and the references i used on the left.

What I am wondering is what composition do you guys prefer?

Just ed, ed with al, or ed with al and the alchemy circle off center?

I seem to prefer just ed, but it feels empty .

Update! I decided to put winry in there too, looking like a damsel in distress

looks great, nice work.

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    it's good work, but I don't think it's as good with Winry in there... the rest of the image is crisp and sharp, but she's somewhat blurred and just... I can't even see her eyes! And her bandana isn't clean either... I just don't think it makes a good contrast with everything else... The Al looks pretty good though.

Finally, one small detail, the last letter at the bottom, the T in Alchemist, it just looks terrible with the little sparkle on it. There's a strange black outline behind the top of the letter that just also looks wrong. Try making the 'sparkle' effect more prevelent on it, because right now it looks just a little too smudged over.

All in all it's very good stuff

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Thanks for the crits Though the line quality was temporary because it was just a preliminary sketch before the vectoring.

I've started vectoring now and here is what I have so far. The image is made to be 24" x 36" so its quite big. As you can see I changed ed's face... and sparing you guys the other versions, let me say I went through A LOT to get the likeness this accurate >.< (if you guys still see anything let me know because its easily fixable).

I also attached a 100% size version so you can see what size it will be on the wall... Depending on your comp resolution i guess it will be a little bigger or smaller looking. But you can look at all the nice pretty vector lines and see why I wanted to do it in Illustrator and not in photoshop.

Edit: Also since you guys didn't get to see how much I had to change the face and how many times I did it... I made a little progress jpg. I improved ed every time I watched a new episode of FMA, and im up to ep 34 now... who know actually watching the anime would help? lol...
    Last edited by feefie04; Wed, 08-08-2007 at 05:47 PM.

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    it's damn good. once you finish Ed's chest and Winry it'll be very impressive. lucky person, whoever is getting this gift

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".