Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Problem...

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar
    if you're hibernating, i'd suggest memory if you had less than 4gb...

Hibernation has nothing to do with memory, since it suspends to hard disk.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    The problem hasn't come back yet. It was having trouble with loading the "resuming hibernation screen". I looked at it today, and it seems you can press F8 during that time to either pause the resume, or scrap it and boot normally.

I'll try that next time to see if it works.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Hey guys, I'll need your help.

The story goes... I was plugging in different fans and unplugging them in the computer to check for system noise/cooling performance etc. I was using mini-pliers to pull out the CPU fan cable from the motherboard, since it was a bit tight.

For whatever reason it slipped out of my hands, landed on the video-card, then (from memory) it either stayed there or landed on the ground afterwards. The fan on the 9800GTX+ then sped up to (full?) speed, being really loud, and there's no image on screen. The light at the back of the graphics card is green (it's red when it's not getting enough power from the 6-pin power cords). - Not sure if it's supposed to indicate other sorts of error.

In any case, I turned off the computer, and tried rebooting - it boots into windows, as I can hear the welcome screen, but I don't see an image, and the fan's still going like crazy.

I thought I might have wreaked the video card. So I unplug the card, and swap for my old 8500GT passive. When I try to boot the comp, same thing happens - black image, welcome screen music.

I'm like 99.9% positive the plies hit nothing else on the way down except the 9800GTX+ graphics card, which isn't plugged in at the moment.

What seems to be the problem? I've got a feeling I busted my PCI-E slot. The pliers were sturdy, but the card was secured with screws and all. Perhaps a short-circuit of something when it hit? Still, I'd imagine that'd affect the card, but not another one, unless somehow the drivers weren't compatible. The passive heatsink's warm, so it's definitely power. Gigabyte 965-S3 doesn't have onboard graphics, so right now I can't do anything with it.....

Help appreciated.

------------------------------------
    Edit: okay, I let it rest for ~15minutes, and now it's booting with the 8500. The resolution's all stuffed up, but that's fine for now. I'll turn it off and retry the 9800 in 5 minutes. Fingers crossed.

Fan's back to low speed, screen boots up fine....

Thoughts: WTF??, Banzai!! and I'm going to sleep for the night before some other crazy shit happens.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Sun, 04-12-2009 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Board of Command
    Did you try clearing the CMOS?
    I edited the post just as you responded. Thanks anyway, and I wouldn't mind know what happened if you had any idea.

Quote Originally Posted by me
    Edit: okay, I let it rest for ~15minutes, and now it's booting with the 8500. The resolution's all stuffed up, but that's fine for now. I'll turn it off and retry the 9800 in 5 minutes. Fingers crossed.

Fan's back to low speed, screen boots up fine....

Thoughts: WTF??, Banzai!! and I'm going to sleep for the night before some other crazy shit happens.

Computers will do that. Sometimes you just need to power everything down to let the capacitors on the motherboard and whatnot to discharge.

Hmm, well after a night's sleep, I booted the comp up again this morning. It worked fine until when it's loading the startup apps in the system tray. There, while loading certain components, the screen would just black out (but the LED on the monitor would still be green). A conventional shut-down via keyboard didn't work neither. After I reset the machine, I loaded up a song as soon as it got to my desktop. When the screen froze up again, the song froze too - so it wasn't just a screen problem.

I had a hunch that it froze when Nvidia control panel modules were loaded, so I uninstalled and reinstalled the card....several reboots after that have yielded no problems, so I guess it should be fine if I can do a cold start tomorrow.

I have this Dell Optiplex GX620 in my office @ work... It's got 3ghz p4 ht, 4gb ddr2-4200, anyhow... went to reboot it on friday because it was going really slow and it wouldn't restart. It would start in safe mode but not normally. Tried a repair installation and it just hung up, did diagnostics and showed hard drive errors so I replaced the drive.

Today, i went to run windows updates on the new xp install and it comes up w\ xp sp3 which i've installed on lots of systems. It goes through the install, reboots and now it wont boot.

there is no display and it gives akind of beep that i've heard before when there were unmatched memory types... I'm confused. I guess it's possible the mobo just blew out but idk, it was working perfect w\ the new hd i put in this weekend and then right when it rebooted from xp sp3 install it is just dead weight.

Tried reseating ram, and same thing : (

Any suggestions? i'm not going to waste too much time on it because I can get another like it for $99 or less maybe.

We're actually retiring that model in our company this month. When you turn it on, does the light by the power button stay green or does it blink orange?

We had many issues with SP3/IE8 but nothing like that.

power comes on green, then goes off and flashes orange, then comes back green.

i looked up the diagnostic light and it says no ram detected...

so, idk if it's just a fluke occurrence and the mobo went out... I tried 1 dimm alone and nothing, removed cmos battery, nothing, powered off, reseated cpu, reseated ram, nothing.

I didn't have time to swap out all the pieces (cpu, ram) to test in another system but i'm going to do that next.

This is more a question rather than an existing problem:

What are the limitations of "run in 32bit compatibiltiy mode", or any of the backward compatibility modes in Vista/Win7?

I want to get in the 64bit version of Windows 7 when it comes out, so I'm getting my head around potential problems beforehand.

I know that compatibility modes aren't available for hardware drivers because they work in between the OS and hardware, making emulation impossible. Does that make all programs fine though?

How about things like firewalls and Anti Viruses that run at more basic levels than common programs? Will those have problems running in compatibility modes if they're "not available" for that particular OS?

I've never heard of 32-bit compatibility mode. If you're talking about the WoW64 emulator, then that's a system feature that you have no control over. All 32-bit apps will be run in the emulator, while all 64-bit apps will be run natively. As far as I know, there are no major issues with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Board of Command
    I've never heard of 32-bit compatibility mode. If you're talking about the WoW64 emulator, then that's a system feature that you have no control over. All 32-bit apps will be run in the emulator, while all 64-bit apps will be run natively. As far as I know, there are no major issues with this.
    Yeah, I meant the emulation mode.

My computer won't boot up anymore, the loading screen just loops around and around(the green bar). No repair options work, and system restore doesn't work. It boots up in safe mode, but not in safe mode with networking. Surely that indicates that network drivers are the problem?

Should I just uninstall all network drivers? I don't know much about this stuff, but, what can make it hang during loading? Does it even load drivers at that point? Or only system files? I've tried system restore and several repair options without it working at all. Any help would be great.

Edit: Disabling PCI GBE LAN in boot options fixed it. I should have tried the stuff there first.
    Last edited by Xrlderek; Sat, 09-05-2009 at 09:30 AM.

Did you turn on PCI GBE LAN in boot options to generate the problem in the first place?

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

I've got a computer running Windows XP 32bit sp2, ATI HD4850, and Catalyst 9.8.

I know for a fact that Catalyst suit 9.8 bricked the PC. It only boots in safe mode, and normally wouldn't show anything after the Windows Logo.

Thing is, system restore was used before I got to it, and all the files/registry entries are kind of screwed up, thanks to the half-assed backing-up that is system restore.

Basically now I'm trying to uninstall Catalyst Control Panel in safe mode. The computer thinks 9.6 is installed, so it runs the un/installer. However, then some other part of the computer recognises it as being installed, so the 9.6 un/installer then tries to install. Another part of the computer then thinks that 9.8 is still on the machine, so asks me to uninstall that version before I install 9.6.

So, I then go to try the 9.8 install exe, and it gives me the error:

"Setup did not find a driver compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit."

Now I'm stumped. Any tips? I'll have time to reformat it on the weekend, but meanwhile I'm open to better solutions. Sadly, no one bothered to back up the OEM windows installation, so it'll be fitted with a less-legit windows.

I think there is a utility that will completely remove drivers... I did that once when my system wouldn't boot w\ a certain driver installed.

when you uninstall the drivers in safe-mode, does it make you reboot? or would you be able to install a different driver version after removing that bad one?

I'd hate to recommend a reformat for something you can probably get working.

Quote Originally Posted by itadakimasu
    I think there is a utility that will completely remove drivers... I did that once when my system wouldn't boot w\ a certain driver installed.

when you uninstall the drivers in safe-mode, does it make you reboot? or would you be able to install a different driver version after removing that bad one?

I'd hate to recommend a reformat for something you can probably get working.
    It actually doesn't let you uninstall because it's screwed up, but yeah, it asks you to reboot. I can't install or modify the installation with a newer or current driver because it comes up with the "no compatible hardware" message before.

If I log into an SSL encrypted site with a username and password via an SSL encrypted proxy connection, can my password be read in between? eg proxy logs?

Computer ---(SSL)-->> Proxy ---(SSL)--->> Site.