Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Manga: Team Medical Dragon

Manga: Team Medical Dragon

http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=718
    "From Nexgear:
    Team Medical Dragon focuses around a genius surgeon, Asada Ryutaro, who's methods have made him a bit of a renegade in the eyes of Japanese doctors. The manga exposes the "illness" of the Japanese hospitals and how their system is not designed to care for the patient.

The manga is appropriate for mature audiences and contains blood, nudity, harsh language, and sex."

This manga has very strong GTO feeling; the only major difference is that it set around hospitals instead of school.
    The are 14 volumes and continuing, Nexgear latest scanlated v5 c35.
    The only backdrop is that Nexgear scanlates VERY slowly (imo).

"Life is hilariously cruel" by Bender

It's more like they just stop doing stuff completely for huge periods of time =/

Is that the only group that subs this series? I mean, I think up to 16 volumes are out but only 5 volumes have been translated...does any other group sub these? I am desperately in search of it =(

v6 ch40 is out by ect i doubt speed will improve too much but it something then almost nothing.

The first medical manga I've come across since RAY? Count me in. The art looks good too.

I had read a couple of volumes of this series about a year ago. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I stopped for whatever reason. Hopefully I can get back on it some time when I get some free time, along with all the mangas that I've stopped reading.

ch41 is out by ect.

55 is out now. I never heard of this series so read the latest chapter to check it out. The art seemed very realistic and reminded me a lot of Shamo, ended up reading all of it in a 4 hour session. Great series, very GTO-ish.
    Last edited by mage; Tue, 07-07-2009 at 01:25 PM.

Team Medical Dragon is one of my favorites, but it's one of those series that doesn't seem to get much discussion. The scans were coming out really slowly before, but recently Mauzel picked it up and has been releasing one chapter per week on Sunday.

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    By my necro powers, I summon thee... Chapter 110 (edit: whoops I mean 109) just came out. I do love how the author is able to create such palpable tension through the slow pacing and framing of the inner machinations of hospital politics.

I look forward to seeing how Kirihara tries to weasel out now that Noiguchi has taken some morbid interest in Ijujin's attempt to save the patient in a manner that could be 'criticized' (Forgive my spelling). The timing was just right to capitalize on Noiguchi's kick of 'taming' his professor candidate, it seems.

Good intrigue.
    Last edited by neflight86; Tue, 05-07-2013 at 11:48 PM.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Just read the 109 chapters after your post, thanks neflight86.

It's a good story.
    I'm not sure as to why/how that manga came to be. Is it possible that the flaming of medical care in Japan is in fact real?
    If so, the focus is so much on skills/med teams and the hospital internal politics that the patients become background details... when it's precisely something criticized about the medical care.

I also understand Asada is a rare breed among geniuses. But I find it strange other doctors have so low skills (maybe there's a normal one, the one that trained on rats when young). Ok the scenario needs some contrast. But here I think it's really too much.

Then there are the hurdles in the OR, with surprises, anomalies and everything happening at the last time when you have to improvise. Heck, Asada even decides he would do stuff prior to the operation, but without even telling his team.

Last but not least, there's the opposition between highly skilled team and "average" team.

It is the real world. You can't have Asuda teams everywhere, so do what it takes to have "normal teams" being able to come close to the best teams. And that is part of the work of a research institution: designing methods to train/educate med teams into improving.
    And another action would to be more selective for surgeon qualification, so that their numbers isn't so high they can't have enough ops to hone their skills.

But that was still a good read.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Quote Originally Posted by David75 View Post
    I'm not sure as to why/how that manga came to be. Is it possible that the flaming of medical care in Japan is in fact real?
    I also understand Asada is a rare breed among geniuses. But I find it strange other doctors have so low skills (maybe there's a normal one, the one that trained on rats when young). Ok the scenario needs some contrast. But here I think it's really too much.
    It was written by a real doctor, so I'm pretty sure the issues are real. There are a lot of issues involved with privatized health care and how the Japanese have structured their organization, which includes how they are trained. The inexperienced Japanese doctors are strongly contrasted with American ones, who have shown to have more experience because of greater surgeries.

Then there are the hurdles in the OR, with surprises, anomalies and everything happening at the last time when you have to improvise. Heck, Asada even decides he would do stuff prior to the operation, but without even telling his team.
    That's definitely story dynamics to keep it interesting.

Yeah, this is definately one of my favorites. I remember a while back it wasn't being actively scanlated, so I wound up waiting 6 months or so per chapter, but now that its on steady release, I'm in hog heaven!

As for the patient focus, it is a little odd that the patients are almost universally victimized and pitiable... I believe that that may be the author's way of focusing on them without a use or possibly overuse of panel space.

As far as the criticizm of Japaniese medicine goes... this series is truely scathing. Compared to the sheepish patients, the majority of the featured medical staff are portrayed as very... clinical, pardon the pun. The oppressive atmosphere reminds me of the first few episodes of Monster, in a good way.

110 is out. That was an intense chapter for there being next to no movement from any of the characters.

As an aside, whenever Noiguchi's eyes go dark like that while thinking to himself, I always image a rising rattlesnake sound that comes to an abrupt stop in the next non-negative panel, which is kind of unsettling; like his character.

Chapter 112 [Batoto]

---------------

What the shit? Yaoi?

Things are getting weirder in the past two chapters. I don't remember the story focusing so much on psychology. The spilt milk : pride analogy was odd, and it's piling on with more like the armor and savages.

My initial reaction to 112 was that the last panel could've been a mis-translation, since "respect" or "admire" would fit better (I haven't seen the raw and don't know Japanese, though). If anything, a meaning like "I want to be his friend" wouldn't be too unexpected, but a sudden homosexual reference feels very random.

It's pretty funny how Ijuuin assumes the best of Kirishima with the small talk because that's the behavior he's seen with Asada, even though Kirishima is actually tweaking out while working on this high-profile patient.

Also:

Quote Originally Posted by Augury View Post
    Things are getting weirder in the past two chapters. I don't remember the story focusing so much on psychology. The spilt milk : pride analogy was odd, and it's piling on with more like the armor and savages.
    Yeah, I think the mangakas were trying to make the dialogue dramatic to make it interesting, but it turned out to be really melodramatic.

I didn't feel that "I always liked you" seemed homosexual given its place after the backstory. It (this chapter) just seems like standard character development.

I do find it interesting that Kirishima mentioned the idea that Noiguchi might 'abandon' him for Kaito. He does not seem to be privy as to why Noiguchi had him brought in, if he feels like that is a viable option for the good professor.