Page 13 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime Recommendation and Suggestion Query

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Longer than 26 episode "dark" series are very few and far between. Most run the 26 episodes, give or take.

ERGO PROXY - I never got particularly far into it, but it is one of the dystopian, post-apocalyptic series that you are looking for. Runs 23 episodes.

Gungrave - Story begins as a monster story, flashes back to a mobster story, and then returns to its dark roots as a monster story. Good action, the flashback has an excellent plot, and it runs 26 episodes.

Berserk - Again, monster story, medieval flashback this time, return to monster story. A true classic, excellent dub if you don't mind them, and all the darkness you can handle in a plotline. I believe you are familiar with this title, but it runs 25 episodes.

Chevalier D'Eon - French period mystery at its finest. Not to my particular tastes (delays in subbing combined with the slow plotline at the time forced me to drop the series). However, the series has fantastic music, excellent animation if you grab the HD subs, and a dark, vaguely satanist plotline. Zombies, possessions, and plenty of that fun stuff. Runs 24 episodes.

Gantz is up the alley you're looking for, but make absolutely sure you get DVD rips for the first half of the series, that part was censored on television. If you like it enough, but aren't so sure about the ending, read the manga instead up to the "Second Phase."

Noein - Don't be thrown off by the simple art. This series is a lot more deep than it appears. Sci-fi, dimensional travel, and darker undertones. Runs 24 episodes.

RahXephon - Towards the darker side of mecha without going emo (Evangelion), you will find RahXephon. Post apocalyptic, violent deaths, last hope of humanity. Look no farther. Runs 26 episodes, accompanied by an excellent musical score.

SaiKano - Alright, this series is only 13 episodes. You want dark, depressing, tragedy? This here would be the pinnacle. The be all, end all, lord on high of dark anime.

Bokurano - Can't say I've seen it, but this would be another darker series. Children in mecha, add in a bit of despair, and a high price for victory. Runs 24 episodes. I've heard the manga is even darker, and edits were made to the story.

Mahoromatic (seasons 1 and 2) - Billed as a comedy. Why is this a "dark" series? Could be due to the fact that every single episode ends with the exact number of days the lovely automatic maiden has left to run before she dies. Don't let the humor deceive you. 26 episodes total.

Basalisk - Ninjas, blood, gore, tragedy. In a fight to the death between families, there are no winners. 24 episodes total.

Witch Hunter Robin - Dark visuals, dark concept, another dark anime for this list. The title is fairly self explanatory, and the visuals are nice. I loved the OP/ED, and the music was also good. Runs 26 episodes.

Lastly, there is Monster. The only series in my suggestions that matches your criteria. 74 episodes total. Murderers. I don't know much else, but this series is loved by many who have seen it.

Now, if you want manga, I can provide that as well, there are plenty of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinji Ikari
    I'm looking for an anime with a dark story. A series with great music and awesome voices, preferebly around 26 eps or longer. Anyone got any ideas?
    Forgot:
    Boogiepop Phantom
    Serial Experiments Lain
    Texhnolyze
    Now and Then, Here and There
    (fucked up)

Another Edit: Munsu, you put Glass no Kantai there? I thought no-one watched that show (except me)
    I haven't finished it yet, about 8 episodes to go (about 10 months ago), but since he liked Outlaw Star and such, he should give it a try.

Yuh, Now and then, Here and there is totally fucked up. I was so disturbed by it.

Yea, Monster is good but I preferred the manga to the anime version a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by animus
    Yea, Monster is good but I preferred the manga to the anime version a lot more.
    Lol, isn't the anime the same as the manga panel to panel?

It probably was, but I watched anime first, and re-reading it in manga form just felt so much more suspenseful (even though I knew what the story was about).

Blog Entries
    Hey guys, im watching naruto, bleach, one piece and have watched and enjoyed flcl, trigun, full metal alchemist, outlaw star, cowboy bebop (those were my favourites). based on that list is there anything you guys would recomend me?

Have some good fun with Golden Boy and Those Who Hunt Elves 1 and 2. Otherwise, you seem like a guy who likes long series, Rurouni Kenshin and Gundam SEED are great.

Quote Originally Posted by The Archangel
    Hey guys, im watching naruto, bleach, one piece and have watched and enjoyed flcl, trigun, full metal alchemist, outlaw star, cowboy bebop (those were my favourites). based on that list is there anything you guys would recomend me?
    Hunter X Hunter... enough said. You have to give it a chance though, the second half of the series and the OVAs are my favorite portion.

Black Lagoon
    Blood+
    Yu Yu Hakusho
    Coyote Ragtime Show
    Last Exile
    Angel Links
    (same world of Outlaw Star)
    Kenshin
    Scrapped Princess
    Berserk
    Claymore
    Fate/stay night
    Hellsing OVA
    Full Metal Panic!
    Gungrave
    Basilisk
    Kekkaishi
    Gurren-Lagann
    Code Geass
    Samurai 7
    Gantz
    Beet the Vandel Buster
    Busou Renkin
    The Third
    Utawarerumono
    Eureka seveN
    Glass no Kantai
    Marchen Awakens Romance
    Tenjou Tenge
    Solty Rei
    Hajime no Ippo
    Rave
    Twelve Kingdoms
    Shura no Toki
    Flame of Recca
    Read or Die OVA
    ROD TV
    Melody of Oblivion
    Inuyasha
    Get Backers
    Noir
    Madlax
    Scryed
    Chrono Crusade
    Great Teacher Onizuka
    Eden's Bowy
    Air Master
    Shadow Skill
    Samurai Champloo
    Vandread

Enjoy. I think that's enough.
    Last edited by Munsu; Sat, 03-29-2008 at 06:55 AM.

Awesome user with default custom title The Heretic Azazel's Avatar
    So I just finished Serial Experiments Lain. After 13 episodes I feel like not much happened, so I can't really explain why I liked this, 80's animation and all. But it was very nice. It's one of the few English dubs I've ever cared for (though I haven't heard anything from the Japanese version. The environment is so calm and especially with Lain's family, passive and uncaring. The series doesn't have much music... like someone just pointed out with Casshern Sins, the silence speaks for itself and is very fitting.

Also I find a lot of the series dealing with personal identity/identity crisis get too pretentious but this one keep it fairly simple; Lain exists within "the Wired" (the Internet) and the real world at the same time, and has trouble figuring which is the real one.

There's not much action, the environment pretty much speaks for itself. I would have put this in the series' own thread but well, there isn't one.
    "They call it 'The American Dream' because you have to be asleep to believe it" - George Carlin

You could have created one if needed be.

Try 12 Kingdoms... the show will never be over ( i think one of the producers died or something) but its separated into distinct arcs which follow different characters (first and third ones are my probably my favourite stories in anime)... btw, first two-three eps feel confusing but everything is explained within the first arc

EDIT: forgot to add... Full Metal Panic! first season is good... but the Second season (The Second Raid) is a masterpiece.

Another Edit: Munsu, you put Glass no Kantai there? I thought no-one watched that show (except me)
    Last edited by Darknodin; Sat, 03-29-2008 at 06:48 AM.

Blog Entries
    Munsu u rock!!! Im gonna copy paste the names so i dont forget any Think ill start with kenshin i've heard about it. Also have you heard of one called "death note" i've heard that it's just my kind of anime too

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    Also have you heard of one called "death note" i've heard that it's just my kind of anime too
    deathnote is one of the most exciting animes out there in my opinion however only up to episode ~24 or so. the later episodes were just tooooooo much

a famous quote "just as planned" maybe you've heard about that one before ^^

if you like crime thrillers with ethic backgrounds etc. then deathnote is your "heaven" but even if you arn't into thrillers its still pretty good. the anime is mainly about "brain fighting"

it is simply fun to watch Light trying to create his "perfect world"
    btw this anime/manga has also 2(!) movies with REAL(!) actors... they arn't as good as the anime though, but it shows how good this anime is.

This might be a tad off topic but, Does anyone know where I can find movies with either Takeshi Kaneshiro or Anne Suzuki? The movie "Returner" with both of them was awesome, and Takeshi's voice for Onimusha (a movie according to imdb is in the making) was also great.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    I don't know where you could download them, but I can tell you where you can find info about what they were in. IMDB is surprisingly good at a lot of international titles...

Anne Suzuki: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0840551/
    Takeshi Kaneshiro: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0437580/

Blog Entries
    Finished death note... and i'm not disapointed You were completely right kray the anime is amzing till ep 25 and after that it kind of dies but it's still enjoyable.

Im thinking of taking a look to hunter x hunter next but isn't it a litle kiddy?

Im thinking of taking a look to hunter x hunter next but isn't it a litle kiddy?
    Don't worry about it. It's true textbook shounen, but that being said, it really shines in that category. One could say that the fact you are considering it shows you are interested in shounen, and truth to be told, there are few better examples of a succesful shounen show than Hunter x Hunter. You won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    Don't worry about it. It's true textbook shounen, but that being said, it really shines in that category. One could say that the fact you are considering it shows you are interested in shounen, and truth to be told, there are few better examples of a succesful shounen show than Hunter x Hunter. You won't regret it.
    That's the impression you'll get from the beginning of the series... but as the series progresses, as far as shounen goes, it's one of the darkest ones. You know, when people start getting killed.

Blog Entries
    Hmm well with such strong opinions i'll take a look at it, but just to be sure, if you had to compare it to any other anime what would it be? And the main character is gonna learn some sort of special power right? ( they always do lol )