Page 29 of 82 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime Recommendation and Suggestion Query

Blog Entries
    It's not disturbing, it's just lame

Get him a Samurai Sword or something lol

I'm no expert at fishing but I believe fishing with a sword is a lot harder than with a fishing pole. The dude spends lots of time fishing so why wouldn't he take the tool with him? He isn't leaving his home to kill people, after all. Besides, there are lots of people in the real world who are even ready to fly to distant countries with their fishing equipment so I don't think there's anything lame about it.

It's an excellent series with some really memorable characters. One thing it could have used more is hot chicks but I suppose you can't have everything in a textbook shounen show.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Sounds like I've got a show called Hunter X Hunter to check out then.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    One thing it could have used more is hot chicks but I suppose you can't have everything in a textbook shounen show.
    ...OMG!!! Screw this anime then

Me wants to see boobies

First of all read the manga. Secondly it isn't kiddy and there is nothing wrong with him walking around with a fishing rod, now when I see people walking around midtown with them thats a different story. Finally forget Kraco, hot chicks aren't important.
    Dreaming impossible dreams.
    Sapphire is awesome!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdula
    Finally forget Kraco, hot chicks aren't important.
    ... I've lost faith in you Abdula

Anyway i'm watching the anime and its great, but i wanna see some kind of kamehameha soon

Quote Originally Posted by The Archangel
    ... I've lost faith in you Abdula

Anyway i'm watching the anime and its great, but i wanna see some kind of kamehameha soon
    It'll come... wait till the exam finishes up. That's when it goes "real" shounen on us.

Blog Entries
    Argh i don't understand a thing they're saying when it comes to Nen, that stuff is dam confusing!

Naruto does a way better job explaining this stuff.

It might be because Nen is something made up, whereas Chakra is something already prevalent in stories, etc.

Isn't it the same thing, just a different name, eh?

Blog Entries
    According to wikipedia, yeah

Ki, Chakra, Nen, Chi do have their own origins but the way they are used in animes like Dragon Ball and naruto is completely fictitious

Quote Originally Posted by The Archangel
    Argh i don't understand a thing they're saying when it comes to Nen, that stuff is dam confusing!

Naruto does a way better job explaining this stuff.
    Actually I think HxH does a much better job of explaining things than Naruto does.
    Dreaming impossible dreams.
    Sapphire is awesome!

Alright, since we already convinced the jackass to watch HxH, that's all the discussion we'll have on it. No more discussion of HxH in this thread... now, let the recommendations continue.

looking for action.
    around 13-26 series, complete. but also OVA is good.
    something old-style, with badass guys fighting eachother, and some comedy.
    not childish like beet, but prefferably not something too deep and philosophic. prefferably something from 2005-2007 (since I hardly watched during those years).

most important: no echhi. no half naked chicks running around in suggestive poses, no loli girls showing undergarments, no bathing suits scenes. something that I can watch without getting disturbed looks from my brother.

Air Master - Mostly non-ecchi (there's one annoying character that would make the artist of Milk Tank proud) but she doesn't show up overly often, and the series is overwhelming filled with over the top street fights. Aired in 2003 AniDB

Jubei Chan and Jubei Chan 2 - More of a comedy than a action series, but the two series have some decent sword fights, and the series has plenty of clean reluctant-badassery. The two series total 26 episodes. AniDB 1 AniDB 2

Slayers [Franchise] - Three series, 7(?) movies, and an upcoming 4th season in the summer. Clean humor, low-budget animation, and lots of fantasy action.

Ghost in the Shell [Franchise] - While Motoko is a sexual object in and of herself, the two anime series (Stand Alone Complex and 2nd Gig) are largely clean, though at times they deal with mature issues that invariably involve nudity. The first movie has a lot of nudity, but it's a film based off a Masamune Shirow work, so it is to be expected.
    Ghost in the Shell --> Innocence, are in the same timeline.
    GitS: S.A.C. --> GiTS: S.A.C. 2ng Gig --> Solid State Society, are in an alternate timeline

Starship Operators - Space opera, perhaps the most tactically sound combat I've found in anime. Most battles are tension-filled nail biters that end in a single shot, whoever fires first gets the pleasure of not being boiled alive in their own hull. Lots of political stuff too, and there's no ecchi (outside of the uniforms) to speak of. AniDB

Kenran Butou Sai: The Mars Daybreak - Pirates and underwater mecha combat. Well animated (BONES no less), plot is mostly an adventure/hostile romance. AniDB

Peacemaker Kurogane - Clean, humor and samurai action...well usually lighter on the action part. In many ways a coming of age story for two brothers (one who happens to be in his 20s). Not great, but it was an enjoyable watch. One part of it was one of the more moving plot events in most of the anime I've seen though, so I have to give it credit for that. AniDB

Utawarerumono - Mostly clean, surprisingly for being based off a hentai game. A period political/war/pre-samurai action series, detailing the rise of a rebellious nation. It has people with animal parts (tails, ears) but they'd fall into the catgirl category rather than the furry category. Very good series, animation is mostly stable throughout (with one glaringly bad episode). AniDB

Busou Renkin - Clean, humor-based action series. Superpower weapons versus monsters that eat people. A shonen series that does not take it self seriously until the very end of the series. In fact, it pokes fun at a lot of the stereotypes, conventions, plot devices and characters of the genre. AniDB

I cannot comment accurately on the last two, since I have not actually watched one of them at all, and only read part of the manga for the other.

Kiba - I've seen a mixed reaction from some on this series, but other than that, I really can't say a whole lot about it, not having seen it, but I know it fits into the categories of what you are looking for. AniDB

Kekkaishi - This one comes highly recommended, I've read through several of the arcs in the manga, and while I can say it is mostly ecchi free, I cannot confirm it for the anime. Good action, good characters, good premise, a highly enjoyable series. AniDB
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Sun, 06-15-2008 at 05:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Death BOO Z
    looking for action.
    around 13-26 series, complete. but also OVA is good.
    something old-style, with badass guys fighting eachother, and some comedy.
    not childish like beet, but prefferably not something too deep and philosophic. prefferably something from 2005-2007 (since I hardly watched during those years).

most important: no echhi. no half naked chicks running around in suggestive poses, no loli girls showing undergarments, no bathing suits scenes. something that I can watch without getting disturbed looks from my brother.
    Here are some shounen/seinen action:

Erementar Gerad
    Basilisk
    Guyver
    Noein (Might get deep and philosophical on you, but some cool action)
    Fate/stay night
    Utawarerumono (slow start, but you'll get rewarded for sticking with it)
    Black Lagoon
    Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage
    Juuousei: Planet of the Beast King
    The Third
    Coyote Ragtime Show
    Black Blood Brothers
    Pumpkin Scissors
    Claymore
    Darker than Black
    Seirei no Moribito
    Kaze no Stigma
    Devil May Cry
    Baccano!
    Juushin Enbu: Hero Tales (Didn't like it much, but you might)

Those are pretty much the animes under your criteria that I enjoyed during that period of 2005-2007. It would be hard to go wrong with just about any of them.

Can you recommend a good romantic / comedy series along the veins of Lovely Complex, Bokura Ga Ita, Kimikiss Pure Rouge, and True Tears (just finished this today and its great)..

Blog Entries
    Well it's more funny that romantic but you could try Urusei Yatsura. Also I've heard good things about an anime called Love Hina but i've personally never watched it.

avoid both. urusei yatsura is long, reptative and gagic.
    Love hina is just bad, or so to speak of.

if you want Rumiko, then get Maison Ikkaku, the best long series rumiko created. also try Shuffle (26eps), it get suprsingly good after the first half.

Blog Entries
    Argh my first time giving advice on anime and i fail miserably

Well I'll still say go for Urusei Yatsura more for the comedy than the romance