Page 59 of 82 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 1621

Thread: Anime Recommendation and Suggestion Query

Awesome user with default custom title The Heretic Azazel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Munsu View Post
    Alright, getting the Doki version then.

Any of you have an opinion on the anime Rainbow?
    You need to make it your life's mission to watch Rainbow. It is so good at conveying a range of emotions.
    "They call it 'The American Dream' because you have to be asleep to believe it" - George Carlin

Any quality harem-anime, where the male lead actually takes advantage of the girls admiring him? You know, except School Days.

Blog Entries
    Clannad, he marries one of them and does the nasty eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    Any quality harem-anime, where the male lead actually takes advantage of the girls admiring him? You know, except School Days.
    If you mean like actually doing the deed, hentai is the way to go. You're on your own for that.

If you mean not avoiding them at every turn:

Yeah...quality...you'll be lucky to get that at all, and it will be few and far between. I will use labels below.

In Amaenaide yo!!, the lead needs to molest girls to get superpowers, and is usually beaten for it later. [Good animation, meh series]

In Mouse, his harem help him perform elaborate heists. [Terrible series, few if any redeeming qualities]

In Shuffle!, the lead treats girls properly, doesn't ignore them, and *gasp*, actually picks one! [Quality series, good animation]

In Sora no Otoshimono, the lead consistently takes advantage of his harem girls all the time for his own perverted musings (never "does the deed" though). Sequel is SnO Forte. [Strong animation, decent-to-quality series depending on your point of view]

So I checked out the first ep of .hack//Quantum and I thought the premise was pretty cool. I've heard of the .hack series since back then but it never really caught my attention. Are the series their own separate stories?? And if so, which ones are the best ones? I've checked out .hack//sign and it's really boring.... Maybe because Tsukasa is a horrible character.

If you find .hack//sign boring but find the .hack universe fun - you might like the .hack//roots because it is more dynamic. Also try to give .hack//sign some more time - it it going at lightning fast speed at the end. it's more about character development than action.
    Number of works of fiction that made me shed at least one tear: 3
    Thou seeketh soul power, dost thou not?
    TOX: 33524385841A92B08787EEBEBA2DB51ED293C4F15A2E292F3F C92165E82388281433A77EA8FE

Never thought I'd use this thread, but I'm looking for must-watch/mainstream anime from 2000 until now. I prefer comedies (romance-comedy are fine too) that are only a season long.

To thin down the list, I've watched most anime from 2006 up until this point.

Thank you in advance!

2000-2005 "must sees" (slight focus on comedies and romantic comedies):

Love Hina - Certainly the manga is superior, but a strong anime and an introductory anime to many American fans. [Various specials as well]

FLCL - somewhat of a cult hit before becoming a mainstream hit, this is another title that receives widespread acclaim for its distinctive style and direction, cast of veterans and newcomers alike, and just plain strange story.

VanDread - Space comedy/harem series. Men and women have been separated (literally on different planets) for centuries. Idiot and two other men end up trapped on a spaceship of female space pirates. Second part.

Puni Puni Poemi Spinoff/sequel/whatever of Excel Saga (the true absolute must watch before your cutoff). It's not going to make any sense, it's kind of a Magical Girl Seiyuu series. OVA.

Angelic Layer - A doll proxy-battle series, this ultimately heart warming show gets missed often among the other series, and as a CLAMP show, is a relatively easy watch, but covers subtly mature themes.

Galaxy Angel - Utterly vapid character-driven series that has no real plot and purpose, but is funny and entertaining. Slapstick, 13-minute episodes. The sequels aren't as good.

Read or Die - An absolute must-watch OVA. Lead possesses a unique and distinctive superpower, and the series is fleshed out with historical nuances, a hilarious anti-American running gag, excellent animation, cast, music, and a strong storyline. Continuation.

Fruits Basket - One of the better romance reverse-harem series of the decade. Penniless girl gets taken in by a family with a secret curse that turns them into zodiacal animals when hugged by the opposite sex. Unfortunately, the anime only goes so far, so if you want the full ending, you'll need to pick up the manga afterward.

Mahoromatic - Battle android retires and opts to become the maid of an orphan. Amusing situations ensue. Stong cast. Second part.

Onegai Teacher - A very strong entry in the romance genre with comedic elements. Main character has an alien encounter, who turns out to be his new (very attractive) homeroom teacher. He gets involved in a series of events to protect her secret. Good animation, excellent cast. Side story sequel about three "siblings," connected by an old photograph, but only two of them are blood related: Onegai Twins.

Full Metal Panic! - Action/Comedy/Romance series about a secret military organization protecting a Japanese girl. They send a veteran operative to her high school who has little practice at social interaction outside the military. Hilarity and harrowing action ensues. Must-see side stories and sequels (make sure you get the special from the sequel).

Hoshi no Koe (Voices of a Distant Star) - Stunning visuals in this single-episode OVA about separation and long-distance love. Good use of relativity. Notable because the animation/direction/writing is the work of a single man.

Chobits - Main character can't get into college and can't afford a personal computer (now in the form of female androids). Luckily, he finds one in the garbage. She isn't quite normal, has no OS installed, but somehow still functions. Loosely connected to Angelic Layer.

Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi - Comedy adventure about a pair of friends who get transported to parallel worlds, and struggle to find their way home.

Azumanga Daiou - What K-ON would later find extreme success with, a slapstick show about girls in high school. Lots of eccentric personalities, but with you know...actual character development.

Saikano - Apocalyptic series about a boy, and a girl turned into a weapon.

Nurse Witch Komugi-chan - Another nonsense comedy show, Komugi is a cosplay idol turned magical girl, defending the world against "viruses" which infect people and transform them into internet memes, gaudy truck drivers, and other stuff that makes no sense at all. OVA, and sequel.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Cyberpunk at its finest. Sequel and sequel film.

Kaleido Star - Sixteen year old Japanese girl travels to America to join a Cirque du Soleil inspired circus she saw when she was very young, which inspired her to become a performer. Coming of Age comedy story with unrealistic physics, but strong characters, good cast, and a unique premise. Longer than your preference at 53 episodes, but a series that often doesn't get mention.

Stellvia - Space school-life comedy romance. Cadets in space, preparing to fend off the next natural space disaster after Earth was suffered severe damage from the last one.

Last Exile - Adventure series about two air-couriers get caught up in a large-scale war in order to discover what happened to their fathers in The Grand Stream, a super storm that has lasted longer than anyone alive can remember.

Scrapped Princess - Fantasy/Adventure series about a girl prophesied to cause the destruction of the world on her 16th birthday, she was cast over a cliff to her death. Now 15, she travels with her adoptive brother and sister to stay alive.

Kino's Journey - Episodic series about another traveler, visiting various lands, and having an influence on each of them.

Planetes - Series about space garbage collectors. Covers themes such as terrorism, development of the human race, all within a very realistic and believable setting.

Chrno Crusade - Comedy/tragedy set in the 1920s about a special church organization who hunts demons and other paranormal creatures. The heroine's partner is one of those demons, bound to her with a special watch.

Aishiteru ze Baby - Heartwarming coming of age romance story about a high school boy who must care for is young cousin after her mother runs away, leaving the girl at their home.

Midori no Hibi - Strange comedy series where the lead, often hated by girls due to his violent delinquent status, wakes up one day to discover a girl has replaced his right hand. She confesses that she has had a crush on him for three years.

Samurai Champloo - Comedy adventure story set in samurai era Japan. Mugen a violent, uncultured warrior. Jin the quiet and composed ronin. Fuu the waitress who saved them and convinced them to help her find the samurai "who smells of sunflowers."

2x2 Shinobuden - Nonsense comedy about a girl ninja (terrible at being a ninja) tasked to steal underwear in order to pass her ninja test, and the girl who stopped her panties from being stolen. Hijinks ensue, a strange perverted yellow ball appears. Friendship, weird characters. Very strong cast.

Elfen Lied - Angsty tragedy drama series. Diclonius, two horned mutants of humanity, likely the next evolutionary step with powerful "vectors" that allow them to destroy anything they come across are being born. One of these, Lucy, escapes from a facility and eventually meets Kouta, who has recently moved back to the nearby seaside town.

Mai-Hime - Comedy/romance/drama action series. Girl and her brother move to a private academy, and the girl discovers that she, along with many other girls, has powers that are needed to destroy monsters that threaten them and the ones they care about. Much better than the description sounds like. Strong animation, well-balanced story, great characters, excellent cast.

School Rumble - Slapstick comedy series. Dozens of misunderstandings, lots of idiot characters. Much fun. Sequel.

Sunabouzu - Post-apocalyptic comedy series. Japan has turned into a huge desert. Sunabouzu is a bounty hunter...and a huge pervert.

Genshiken - Slice of life series about an otaku club at a university. Excellent characters. Sequel.

AIR - A wandering performer arrives at a seaside town. There he meets a girl eager to become his friend and invites him to stay at her home. Tragedy/Comedy. Excellent animation, very strong cast.

Mahoraba ~Heartful Days~ - Comedy romance series. Wanting to be a children's picture book author, the lead moves into a old-style Tokyo apartment near his art school. It is owned by the cousin of his mother, a high school girl. Despite the other, often very odd, residents, the manager has a secret of her own. When shocked, she changes personalities. Highly eccentric characters, solid cast.

Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan - Nonsense comedy OVA series. An angel from the future arrives to prevent a boy from destroying the future. Despite what he may act like now, in the future, he will do something that will stop all girls from getting older when they reach age 13. The angel, Dokuro, vows to correct his ways. Sequel.

Emma: A Victorian Romance - Period romance. In late 19th century London, William Jones, an upper class gentleman, meets and falls in love with Emma, a maid, and she with him.

Glass Mask (2005) - Drama. Maya is a young girl who is not the prettiest nor smartest girl in the world, but holds a deep love for acting. She runs away from home to pursue her dream, under the tutelage of a very famous, now a recluse, actress. She gains strong rivals, but has a few hidden skills of her own as she develops. Strong cast.

Eureka Seven - Action/Drama/Romance. A boy, skilled at riding the particle waves known as Trapar, is thrust into a militant rebel group when a mech crashes near his home town. He meets a girl who requests his help fixing it.

Kamichu! - Slice of Life, coming of age, comedy. One day at lunch, middle-schooler Yurie tells her friend that she became a Goddess the night before. The daughter of the local shrine comes over and announces that they're now friends. Stuff happens. Amusing show, a bit heart warming, and a little strange at times.

ARIA - Slice of life. This series may not be for everyone because it is very much slice of life. Detail the life of female gondola tour guides in Neo Venezia on the planet Aqua (formerly Mars). Good cast, good animation, no cohesive story to speak of until the third season, but excellent characters. Sequel, OVA, and finale. (Yes, 53 episodes.)

Paradise Kiss - Romance, slice of life. Yukari, discontent with her life, encounters a group of fashion design students preparing for their senior thesis. Initially reluctant to join up with them at the request of their leader, George, she decides to get involved with them after all once she gets to know them a little. Strong animation, solid cast, good characters.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Wed, 02-23-2011 at 07:48 PM. Reason: You bet I needed to edit part of this!

Hey guys, looking for recommendations on other currently ongoing Shounen anime.

The stuff I like is One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Soul Eater, etc.

I've already started watching Fairy Tail.

What other series are going on right now that are right up that alley?

Blog Entries
    Normally people like you who have been watching anime for a while would want to branch out a little from the shounen genre, why don't you give that a try?

I watch plenty of other anime. I've seen half the stuff on Ryll's list there.

Shit, I just watched Hetalia Axis Powers last week because AMV Hell 5 finally got me too.

End of the day though, that shounen stuff is still my jam.

But I don't read manga, so I don't normally know what's going on in that genre until a series has been out a long time.

Gintama, it's coming back for another season sometime this month. I usually can't get into it (I've tried twice), but it is highly praised.

More of the slapstick vein, but Keroro Gunsou is another prominent and strong choice.

I think that's it for long-length shonen series that are currently airing (or will be again).

edit:

Beelzebub is likely shorter length (currently airing), but may also fit your preference.

edit 2:

You should also watch Cross Game if you haven't already done so. 50 episodes of awesome.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Sat, 04-02-2011 at 05:56 AM. Reason: two edits...I'm not doing well today.

Cool, I'll check em out.

Is there an anime that, unlike most anime, portrays a rather realistic world, but has that realistic world clashing with a single main protagonist that behaves like your typical anime-clichee? Resulting in comedic, embarrassing or even dangerous situations? I got that idea when I saw a scene from Seikon no Qwaser ep1, where the guy just grabs a girls tit and massages it, without her doing anything to make it stop and i couldnt help but lol and think "that would never happen like that in reality".

Off the top of my head, Akane Maniax, the side-story to Kimi ga Nozomu Eien. It features the characters from KgNE and MuvLuv (game from the same company, itself a tie-in to KgNE). The male lead is named Gouda Jouji (about as stereotypical a shonen name as one could find), voiced by Seki Tomokazu (who famously played Domon Kasshu from G Gundam and other super-shonen leads). He hallucinates about piloting a giant robot, and generally makes an ass out of himself in front of the girls. It's only an OVA, 3 episodes, and it doesn't really go anywhere or have a complete story. Nor will it make any sense at all unless you've watched KgNE.

There are probably more, but usually not as integral to the plotline.

Full Metal Panic is a bit like that as well, though only in the comedy episodes.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Thu, 04-21-2011 at 03:45 PM. Reason: added KgNE link

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth
    Hey guys, looking for recommendations on other currently ongoing Shounen anime.
    Soul Eater x FMA =

.. Ao no Exorcist?

Give that one a go. I think you'll like it.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Project A-ko seems interesting. I will definitely download it. I hope "she" (my cousin) likes it though.

Hmm... Nanoha, I didn't really think of it, but it may just work.

EDIT: She has probably seen CCS (which I surprisingly loved) and Sailormoon (which I hate with a passion) because they are quite old. Newer stuff is probably better.

Kampfer is way too retarded as a yuri anime, and I would not in good conscience recommend it to any yuri fan.

Need stimulating anime with lots of action and badass kung fu

Like:

Sword of the Stranger, Tenjo Tenge, Black Lagoon, Samurai Champloo, Darker than Black.

No mecha.
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

I'm guessing Gunplay alone is okay? (Included in the results.)

Triangle Heart: Sweet Songs Forever - OVA of the series that would be spun off into Nanoha. Swordplay and a little bit of guns.

Baccano! - Little bit of everything for everyone.

Canaan - More guns than martial arts, little bit of superpowers.

Ga-Rei Zero - All manner of weapons old and new, traditional or unconventional, significant superpowers element.

Gungrave - Some over the top monster stuff, but the mafia flashback parts are really good.

Kite - A hentai originally, though there is a censored version...somewhere. All action, mostly guns.

Kite: Liberator - The sequel to Kite. Not a hentai. Mostly guns.

Mezzo Forte - Yet another hentai. Hentai-free version definitely exists...somewhere. Takes place in same universe as Kite. Guns, but a strong martial arts focus.

Mezzo DSA - Series. Not a hentai. Sequel to Mezzo Forte. Substantially higher martial arts focus than prequel.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (and various sequels) - Cyborgs don't count as mecha, and this is seriously good stuff. Mostly guns, some military martial arts stuff.

Trigun - Because someone out there will murder me if I didn't mention this. Guns, guns, and more guns.

Claymore - Lots of swordplay, guarantee no mecha.

Katanagatari - Lots of swordplay...and lots of wordplay.

Basilisk - Ninjas, ninjas, ninjas. It's a blood fued. Lots of action.

Read or Die - OVA. Guns, superpowers (take the place of martial arts). Lots of action.

R.O.D. TV - Sequel to Read or Die. Much greater martial arts focus, same superpowers.

Sengoku Basara - Over the top Warring States Era action.

If these kinds of series are not what you wanted (i.e. you meant action AND kung fu, not action OR kung fu), let me know. I would have asked you beforehand, but you're not regularly on IRC anymore!

There's something missing from Katanagatari and R.O.D. These seem to put a lot of effort into being -good and philosophical- when I just want lots of rampant stimulation.

You hit the mark on: Sengoku Barara, Ga Rei Zero, Claymore, [Mezzo Forte/Kite], Trigun.

Baccano, Basilisk, GoTS might work.

Haven't seen the others.
    -
    Durarara?
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel