Page 23 of 82 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime Recommendation and Suggestion Query

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by narutosharingan
    Is Code Geass worth watching? I heard it's similar to Gundam Seed, which I've watched and loved, but if it's too similar...
    the only thing which is similiar to gundam is that there is a pilot who simply overpowers the no-name pilots...(but everyone hates him who is watching the series :P)

the story however is soooooo much better... and the main character is a real badass (in my opinion)

the only gundam worth watching is gundam 00.. i love mecha from the bottom of my heart but the only cool thing in the gundam-seed series is the.. uhm what is it called... "zaku" mech..

i dont know if you know the "worms 2 intro" but the anime is in my eyes exactly the same

(in worms 2 the first guy pulls out a pistole, the second one a machine gun, the first a grenade, the second a rocketlauncher and so on and so on)
    in gundam seed it feels like they are saying

"haha look here my Gundam-xx-freedom" "ha hes worth shit look here my Gundam-xy-destiny! " "damn! hes so much better, i guess i have to pull out my gundam-xx-Fate!" bla.. bla... bla... i won't stop you from watching, but i wouldn recommend it ,well you allrdy watched and liked it but there are so many series which are btter in my opinion

good mecha series are Macross Frontier / Macross Zero (its not really mecha but something between aircraft+mecha) , maybe Burstangel, Full Metal Panic! (damn, this one is so good), NGE, and yes Code Geass (even though the first episodes were better than the later ones in my opinion)
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Fri, 01-04-2008 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu
    There are a lot more manga of the Gender Bender genre than there are animated series. They tend not to be overly popular. Only three come to mind.

Kashimasi ~girl meets girl~ - Wherein Hazumu, a rather effeminate boy in the first place, gets struck by an alien spacecraft and unfortunately (fortunately for the audience), is only able to be brought back to life as a cute girl. (Alternate title: Kasimasi) AniDB

An older series and probably quite difficult to find now:
    Tenshi na Konamaiki: Where Megumi was changed into the "perfect girl" by a demon in a book when he was young, after wishing he would grow up into the "manliest of men." AniDB

And of course, the ubiquitous Ranma 1/2. AniDB

Of course, if you want a wider selection, you can always read manga. There are plenty of series with that sort of thing. List of "Gender Bender" related manga titles
    Ah, guess there aren't any more for me to watch then, not really into manga myself :x(I'm totally a visual person)

Macross Frontier is good but a bit short. I "dig" those aircraft transforming mechas like in Vandread and this.

Just finished watching Aishiteru, so good, I hope there will definitely be a 2nd season, kind of feels like it.
    "I like to let people talk who like to talk. It lets me find out how full of sh1t they are."-Jackie Chan from Rush Hour

Quote Originally Posted by Barcode120x
    Ah, guess there aren't any more for me to watch then, not really into manga myself :x(I'm totally a visual person)

Just finished watching Aishiteru, so good, I hope there will definitely be a 2nd season, kind of feels like it.
    Uhh....manga is visual, just not animated. You only have to read what is normally spoken.

That aside. There will never be a second season of Ai Baby. However...there considerable more in the manga to read. If you want the end of the story, that's the only place you are ever going to get it. The anime is also very accurate to the manga, with the exception of one thing about his older sister that was left out.

EDIT: I need to review the manga before I can tell you. It's much further than I thought.

EDIT 2: If you want the rest of the story, you will have to start at volume 4 of 7 and work your way up. The anime jumped over a rather large portion of the story, and still cut short.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Sat, 01-05-2008 at 07:31 AM.

I got a random question for ya...
    Anybody knows where to get the best batched, ripped & subbed version of Berserk?
    Thank you in advance.

Now... we can click as warriors... button to button, it is the basis of all internet.
    Only a fool trusts his life to a virus.

Click here for torrent link

The group is actually a dvd ripping group, Anime4Ever. Its released in dual audio so you will have the english subtitles w/ Japanese voices. Hope it helps!
    This fantastic Sousuke sig was made by the one and only Lucifus! Thanks man!

Death Note- worth getting? How good is it? (I'm not sure which sub to get...isohunt has a full series up...polabar...is that any good?)

Also, I ended up getting Code Geass...Loved it.
    Last edited by narutosharingan; Sat, 01-12-2008 at 04:03 PM.

Death Note...it's a question of how good the adaptation is.

Death Note is a series that has a lot of potential, a great reputation, really excellent writing...but didn't know when to end.

I can say with absolute certainty that the first three or four large arcs (depending on how you want to break up the series) are some of the most well written and intelligent parts of anime I've seen. Unfortunately, the series peaks relatively early, almost immediately after these arcs, and begins to lose focus. I'm intentionally being vague so you can enjoy it. The ending receives a lot of mixed reactions from viewers/readers.

I highly recommend watching (or even reading) the series up through those parts. It's right up to the end of episode 25. After that...the series fell flat for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu
    I highly recommend watching (or even reading) the series up through those parts. It's right up to the end of episode 25. After that...the series fell flat for me.
    they should have stopped after that... it was just perfect one of the best storys i've ever heard of and it feels like watching a movie or OVA when it comes to animation... probably the best anime ever made up to that point..
    well but even after that it is still worth watching... i actually liked how the anime ended, in contrast to most people opinion, i think the ending was fitting.

edit: ah btw i think deathnote has *awesome* music... and i m not even talking about the opening or ending...the music is really tensing up everything.. really cool! except something which goes in the direction of Halo when it comes to music ^^
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Sat, 01-12-2008 at 05:02 PM.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Regarding Death Note, with enough time for thinking since its end, in a way the less interresting 12 eps are fine.
    Why?
    Because they allow for the badguy to be less attractive.
    They allow for us to see how he declines and become less and less smart, becomes more and more crazy.

In a way, in the 25 first ep, we get to believe (story wise) Kira/Light is becoming a God, everything folds nicely up to that point.
    The latter eps are here to remind us no man can become a God (they say there is an execption born something like 2 thousand years ago...)

Anyway, I'm going to watch the director's cut ep. It seems the end is different.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Stop discussing the actual plot of the anime in this thread, stick to the topic of the thread.

So then, it's still worth watching even though it isn't as good later on?

It's definitely worth watching and like stated before, the first half of the series is one of the best animated series ever.

HA!! kana eating rice..nice avatar.. i knew someone would make this! i use it as a wallpaper though :P

and yes it IS worth watching, thats what we were saying, didn't we? it just takes a different direction from there.. while the first 20 episodes were EPIC, the last ~13 were simply normal and a bit freaky and overdone.

I got up to episode 20, its been about a year since I watched episode 20, just didn't feel like continuing it, but YES, it IS worth watching!!! I kind of got the feeling that it was so great and tense that I kind of feared if I continued, it would end soon and I stopped probably because of that. I'll continue it this summer or spring break though .
    "I like to let people talk who like to talk. It lets me find out how full of sh1t they are."-Jackie Chan from Rush Hour

Death note was awesome till the end for me. Go see it.
    "Our hearts are full of memories but not all of them reflect the truth. The heart isn't a recording device. Even important memories change with time. They warp or fade, leaving us with but a shadow of what we hoped to remember." 天の道を行き、全てを司る。これは僕の世界。

Junior
    I have a question about the anime, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya...is it actually any good?

I've read the plot and seen pics but I still don't know if it's worth while.

It's very good. It didn't gather such a hype and cult following for nothing.

What comes to it's plot, it's a bit peculiar mainly due to the structure of the series. But I still suggest you watch it in the order it was aired (following the episode numbering) and don't follow any "guides" for the first time through.

Edit: The very first episode doesn't really represent the series itself, yet will be perfectly explained later. So, don't be fooled by it.

Junior
    Alright thanks. I'll get it from my friend then. ^^
    If you hadn't told me about the first ep, I probably would've stopped watching immediately or something. Dx

hmmm i would suggest watching it in the "right" order (chronologically) because it's kinda weird to watch it in the nonlinear order... (see first episode :P the only reason i kept watching was the bunny-girl-with-ak47 part xD)

i've watched it twice (first time = nonlinear and second time = chronologically) and the second time was much more fun to watch..

btw, its even worth to read the light novels.... they are funny even though i just read to a few chapters... but since it is written in kyon's view, there is a lot of sarcasm (well its in the anime too but even more in the novel) and its really good ^^.

i think this series is really good because you can identify yourself with kyon... he's really someone like you or me trapped in a world full of strange and chaotic beeings.. he simply reacts the way you would do yourself... at least thats what i think.

too bad that it ended so quickly (the last episodes were AWESOME! with the band and stuff !.i won't tell to much, even though i won't spoil even if i do...)... however i've heard some rumors about a second season... or was it a new manga? something called "the *blabla* of Haruhi" NO SPOILERS
    Last edited by Munsu; Thu, 01-17-2008 at 04:55 PM.

That's strange, because as the American released dvds were ending their release, there were increasing reports that "chronological" rather than "airing" order tarnished the series quite a bit. The dvds, unless you bought the special editions, were released in the "chronological" order.

Yes, there is added confusion as to exactly what is going on, and why things jump around so much, but it was meant to be there. The series is told from a single person's viewpoint, and one could argue that it is very much a Modernist series. All of the narrator's "knowns" become false.

But beside the artistic side of the presentation, there's also the practical. The series in "airing" order ends on a climax, the end of the first novel. However, "chronologically," it ends in filler, filled with references, some obscure to even the most hardcore otaku (well, it's not Hayate bad, but it's not the easiest).