Page 1 of 82 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime Recommendation and Suggestion Query

Anime Recommendation and Suggestion Query

Alright after merging what would be my 5th or 6th thread into this thread for everyone I decided to stickie it for everyone to use as a resource. Add to it with your own queries about what you should watch and/or what you suggest to others.
    -MOD

Hello, long time since I wrote something on Gotwoot, I have been busy at the Uni.

And btw I searched the forum for topics like this but I didn't found any (probably b-cuz im not used to this new forum and suck at searching)...

I was wondering, since naruto is gay-ass boring with the fillers and al, and bleach is showing fillers to, though they are better, not rasengan-nuddles..

I was wondering if theres any new shows out there worth watching?

I prefer feudel japan, samurais, ninjas and shit like that, but I also like Mecha like I've seen Gundam and so on and love it!

These I have already seen:
    Neon genesis evangelion
    Gundam seed + destiny
    Beserk
    Naruto (still watching)
    Ruroni kenshin
    Full metal alchemist (probably the only one in the world that thought it sucked)
    Bleach (still watching)
    Ninja scrolls
    Shuzuka (dunno why since this sseries is completly not me.. lol)
    Blue Gender
    Full metal panic + second raid + fumoffo
    Hellsing
    s-CRY-ed
    Samurai deeper kyo
    cowboy bebop
    Tenjou tenge
    and my favorite...

BASILISK

Are there any good anmies thats simular to these perhaps, or is there ones totally diffrent but anyway reallt cool..

I hate anime with cute girls being ninjas and shit thats just to much crap.. lol
    Last edited by kAi; Thu, 10-11-2007 at 01:03 AM.

I happened to enjoy a lot of the stuff you listed there so....

Samurai Champloo, if you can get your hands on that. It's about 2 swordsmen and a girl looking for someone in feudal Japan but with a modern twist on everything.

And there's always Hajime no Ippo! Anime about boxing but it's a cut above most sports animes in terms of personalities, character development, humor, and the occasional drama.

Hmm, samurai champloo, sounds great, lookin into that..

No other series thats on now thats great?

If you're looking for something more current, I'd suggest just browsing through the more active threads going on now and see if any of those catch your interest. Usually on the first post of the thread there's gonna be a link/quote on what the anime's about.

I really recommend Ippo to you though. It's got all the elements that makes shounen series appealing: the apparent underdog, fights, the process of levelling up, more fights, etc. If a girl like me can actually like an anime about boxing (a sport I never had much interest in), I think that's saying alot You won't regret picking it up. You can even find the torrent for the entire series at BoxTorrents, I think. C'mon, Isso, I'm trying to pique your curiousity here. Is it working?

I agree with Honko on Samurai Champloo - I absolutely love that series and have the whole thing, though I do enjoy it in English too actually.

And though I haven't seen enough of it to make a decent recommendation, maybe Samurai 7. Sort of a mix of future-style (robots, airships) and samurai. Interesting so far (heh, unless someone comes on here and says it blows...I'll still watch it to find out myself, but oh well).

And as they say in Monty Python, "And now for something completely different." For something absolutely pointless and ridiculous, Dragon Half. Only two eps, basically useless, but pretty damn funny all the same just because it's so stupid.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Samurai 7 was a fine series. All the better if you have seen the original Kurosawa movie (despite the vast differences).

I had an acoount at boxtorrent before.. hopefully it's still there...

Anyways, Samurai 7 sounds cool.. Going to look that up..

Ippo you say, hmmm, your arguments are quite solid, have to look it up.. look a couple of eps and then decide if to continue!

MOOOORE people.. mooore... I've been gone from anime for 3 months, exept naruto and bleach, oh and a couple of 0083 gundam episodes.. lol

I can't believe I forgot about this one: KARAS! Futuristic ninjas. 'Nuff said. 6 eps total. Anime Kraze has dubbed 3 so far. Definitely a must see. There's a thread on this one right now. I think Bud recently updated it with the latest torrent? I have memory like a goldfish.

Before going into all these cool series that have been mentioned, you first have to take care of the Shounen must see's.

Hunter X Hunter and One Piece, after that you can go and watch all the other series that have been mentioned, Hajime no Ippo especially.

Quote Originally Posted by Budweineken
    Before going into all these cool series that have been mentioned, you first have to take care of the Shounen must see's.

Hunter X Hunter and One Piece, after that you can go and watch all the other series that have been mentioned, Hajime no Ippo especially.
    I aint watching One peice.. Have tried before but failed... It's so... so... so good if you are 5 years old.. I just think it aint good, have tried, but sorry!

I would definitely go with Monster its not like many of the ones you've seen but after a few eps you get hooked and I also second Hunter X Hunter.

You must have watched the One Piece dub. Don't. It's a mass of shit. Watch the subs and you'll see why it's badass.

One Piece is one of those anime series where the longer you stick with it, the greater the payoff. How many eps did you watch before you quit? If it's less than 20 then you should try it again.

(Good reminders, Bud)

You may also want to check out Air Master and Ikkitousen. Both of them are street brawling series. They's older titles, so they don't look shiny and polished, but definitely worth a look judging from your list. Air Master has some of the most brutal street fights without excessive amounts of blood (there is considerably little for how violent the fights are portrayed).

Since you did like Suzuka (I'm assuming Shuzuka = Suzuka), you may also want to look into Kimagure Orange Road. It is an old title (80's), and probably would be pretty hard to find, but it's got a very similar style to the story.

Of the new series, you may want to try out Himawari! It just started, so none of us know how it will turn out, but it comes off to me as a Fumoffu meets Naruto.

Quote Originally Posted by Budweineken

They stopped subbing Hajime no Ippo a long time ago?

My lil sis has been watching One Piece but I just can't get into it either - to each his own I guess. And yeah, I do kinda wanna see Kurosawa's stuff too but might have to do that later on...heh, reminds me of how my mom and I used to watch The Magnificent Seven...still dunno why they took that show off the air, I thought it was good. Now I know where it came from tho.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

You might like GetBackers, esp if you liked s-Cry-ed, though I haven't seen it all so I can't vouch for it completely. Might as well throw in Inuyasha for fun. Neither is as extravagent as some of these other suggestions, but popularity is often a good sign. If you can stand the girls My Hime is good , and definately Ghost in the Shell

As to One Piece, whatever they did to it for the dub I can't imagine how this show is so popular with so many in subbed form, how much could they change a good show and make it as look as bad as the One Piece dub looks and still have something to show? The dub tends to hold my interest when I see it, but it also sucks and makes me wish anything else I'd willingly watch were on.

Missing Nin
    Well in defence of one piece I'll name a few of the changes done for the dub. Please note the dub is a horrible piece of garbage that is beyond redemption while post Buggy the Dub is a very good series.

1:First ALL of the voices are just plain terrible in the dub to the1 point of wanting to rip your ears off.
    2:Changing the Marines guns to super soakers and popguns and calling them the Navy.
    3: Renaming Zoro to Zolo and Luffy D Monkey to Loofy D Monkey.
    4: Changing sanji's cigarette into a lollypop and Smoker having his cigars removed entirely while they leave the smoke and nake him Chaser.
    5: removing all of the blood and destroying basically every fight scene as a result.

The series is definatly odd but its about as much a kids show as Hunter X Hunter and despite how they look in general they are very adult.

If you watch Getbackers abort viewing at 26 while the show is still good and do not finish it.

Also try out Fate/Stay Night you would almost definatly enjoy it and its still running.

Quote Originally Posted by isso
    I aint watching One peice.. Have tried before but failed... It's so... so... so good if you are 5 years old.. I just think it aint good, have tried, but sorry!
    What the fuck! It isn't anymore "good if you are 5 years old" than Naruto is..

Give it another try.
    I had to watch like 10 eps and listen to several openings to really get obsessed with it.

Yupp I agree, naruto have become so unmature and silly these last 20 eps so it's comparable to the eps of One peice I saw.

But It hasn't been like that before, I remember Naruto when it was a great show, when the eps had meaning and intension, not rasenganing nuddles in a cook off..

But as I said, one peice aint my thing, sorry girls and lads, it's just like that!

But I want to thank you, I will have a look at these and perhaps they will catch my interest..

By the way Aint no good mecha series in the near future, like gundam, macross or summtin?

lol