Page 10 of 95 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Thread: Introductions

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by gr3atfull
    Name : gr3atfull

Introduce myself… umm well, my English is horrible so there are some chances that no one will understand what I am talking about. I have no asian background, I speak French, English and Persian/Iranian. I have been taking Spanish and German classes. I am grade 11 student in science. I have been watching Naruto ever since it started airing on YTV but decided to watch it faster by downloading it on the internet few weeks ago. Other anime I watched, gundam seed and destiny, Witch Hunter Robin, Fushigi Yuugi, and Vision of Escaflowne, and unfortunately hack/sign and Inuyasha. Currently, I am watching FMA on YTV. Don’t know what else to say, so I guess that’s it.
    What are you talking about? That post has better english and grammar than I've seen some people from America use . Welcome to Gotwoot!
    Last edited by complich8; Mon, 03-12-2012 at 09:06 PM.

Sad thing is, he's right. Welcome all you new people.

Lasers? Cookies? FTW!
    (universally beloved
    moderator ex-emerita)
    Name : gr3atfull
    Montreal, eh? I'm going to be moving near there, to Ottawa, this summer. Je pense que tu parles anglais plus bien que je parle francais
    Bienvenue!

ok let me try to translate that with my limited french skillz...

why do you speak english better then i speak french? <-- probably wrong.

time for a literal translation...

Je pense que tu parles anglais plus bien que je parle francais
    I [something] why you speak english [something] better why i speak french

was that close?

anyway, on topic: gr3atfull, do yourself a favor and download FMA instead of watching the dub on YTV. From what i've seen in the first ep, it doesn't seem too bad, but its highly unlikely they'll manage to do as good a job as the original japanese VA's. And FMA is a series you really should watch properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin
    Je pense que tu parles anglais plus bien que je parle francais
    I [something] why you speak english [something] better why i speak french

was that close?
    Almost. She said: "I think you speak english better than I speak french" Which is true considering it would have been more correct to say "mieux" rather than "plus bien".
    *snicker snicker*.

But anyways... Welcome to the forums gr3atfull!
    Last edited by Mr Squiggles; Tue, 03-14-2006 at 01:50 AM.

Welcome to the forums! Yeah, make sure you download the subbed version of FMA. I've seen the english version of FMA, all of it, and let me tell you its not bad but you'll like the sub even more. AND DONT FORGET TO SEE THE MOVIE! (I still haven't )

Lasers? Cookies? FTW!
    (universally beloved
    moderator ex-emerita)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Squiggles
    Almost. She said: "I think you speak english better than I speak french" Which is true considering it would have been more correct to say "mieux" rather than "plus bien".
    *snicker snicker*.

But anyways... Welcome to the forums gr3atfull!
    As long as I have amused you, Mr. Squiggles (and probably all the other forum francophones who are laughing right now) it's all good
    I haven't actually spoken French since highschool, and our French teacher wasn't really that great at it, since we were short on staff. Hopefully once I move to Ottawa I'll have a chance to practice and get better.

Quote Originally Posted by IFingHateTonTon
    What are you talking about? That post has better english and grammar than I've seen some people from America use . Welcome to Gotwoot!
    Geez, thanks a lot! I really forced myself to write properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by KitKat
    Montreal, eh? I'm going to be moving near there, to Ottawa, this summer. Je pense que tu parles anglais plus bien que je parle francais
    Bienvenue!
    anyway, on topic: gr3atfull, do yourself a favor and download FMA instead of watching the dub on YTV. From what i've seen in the first ep, it doesn't seem too bad, but its highly unlikely they'll manage to do as good a job as the original japanese VA's. And FMA is a series you really should watch properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by God#2
    Welcome to the forums! Yeah, make sure you download the subbed version of FMA. I've seen the english version of FMA, all of it, and let me tell you its not bad but you'll like the sub even more. AND DONT FORGET TO SEE THE MOVIE! (I still haven't )
    Sure, I’ll watch it as soon as I catch up to Naruto (I am at the episode 67 (when Sasuke VS Gaara and the plan starts)). I’ll finish it soon since I watched 3 episodes per day. But why do you say the subbed is better than the English version?
    Last edited by gr3atfull; Tue, 03-13-2012 at 09:13 AM.

Sure, I’ll watch it as soon as I catch up to Naruto (I am at the episode 67 (when Sasuke VS Gaara and the plan starts)). I’ll finish it soon since I watched 3 episodes per day. But why do you say the subbed is better than the English version?
    First, when you get to the fillers in Naruto (about ep 100 i believe...its the tea country arc) STOP. Either completely stop watching and wait about a month for the series to get back on track or go read the manga. If you've just gottne into anime, i'd suggest waiting and watching the series instead of reading the manga. If you watch the god awful fillers, you will undoubtedly hate naruto and it will ruin what should be an awesome upcomming arc.

As for subbed being better then the english version, its mainly cuz dubbed versions are almost always bad. No matter how hard they try, the english VA's (voice actors) can't really portray the character as well as the original japanese VA's. Not that it isn't possible, but there seems to be some unwritten rule that says all english VA's must ruin a series as much as possible.

Also, due to cultural differences, sometimes the companies (like funimation...the evil, evil funimation) will edit out the violence/nudity/other "inappropiate" material which makes the series what it is. They try to cater to a younger crown, even if the series is meant for an older audiance. So by watching the dub, you're not really getting the full experience. Its like choosing to watch a Cam rip of LOTR instead of going to the theaters and getting the full experience.

well thats enough talking for now...heed my warnings, and you shall do well.

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Welcome to all the new guys! Hope ya'll stick around so it's not just us regulars all the time.

Also, I've never actually thought about how many non-native English speakers are users here. I'm impressed.

ChaosAngel
    Hello!

Newbie.

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosAngel
    Hello!

Newbie.
    Come on guy. Don't just say that little and leave. An introduction is supposed to be formal and well-thought out. It's also your first, and very lasting, impression on others.

I'd advise you to Edit your post, but that's just me...

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosAngel
    Hello!

Newbie.
    Hehe, I agree with Masa, we need more info on ya.
    I hope this isn't your typical posting method. Two word posts are going to get annoying as hell (and be a violation of the rules).
    Oh well, welcome to the forums.

"Pudding can't fill the emptiness inside me! But it'll help."

Relax, gues. He's just a n00b. He even confessed that himself (assuming it's "he").

Not everybody can make so great introduction posts (as great as I did back then, anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    Relax, gues. He's just a n00b. He even confessed that himself (assuming it's "he").

Not everybody can make so great introduction posts (as great as I did back then, anyway).
    Well, hopefully he can make a post with more than two words. I don't know about Masa, but I was making a joke and at the same time trying to point out that low content posts are against the rules. You know, point out a violation in the nicest way I could think of before a mod hits him. And being a newbie doesn't mean you're exempt from the rules, or reading them.
    Edit: And for an introduction, you could always just make shit up. Story Time!!!

"Pudding can't fill the emptiness inside me! But it'll help."

First, when you get to the fillers in Naruto (about ep 100 i believe...its the tea country arc) STOP. Either completely stop watching and wait about a month for the series to get back on track or go read the manga. If you've just gottne into anime, i'd suggest waiting and watching the series instead of reading the manga. If you watch the god awful fillers, you will undoubtedly hate naruto and it will ruin what should be an awesome upcomming arc.

As for subbed being better then the english version, its mainly cuz dubbed versions are almost always bad. No matter how hard they try, the english VA's (voice actors) can't really portray the character as well as the original japanese VA's. Not that it isn't possible, but there seems to be some unwritten rule that says all english VA's must ruin a series as much as possible.

Also, due to cultural differences, sometimes the companies (like funimation...the evil, evil funimation) will edit out the violence/nudity/other "inappropiate" material which makes the series what it is. They try to cater to a younger crown, even if the series is meant for an older audiance. So by watching the dub, you're not really getting the full experience. Its like choosing to watch a Cam rip of LOTR instead of going to the theaters and getting the full experience.

well thats enough talking for now...heed my warnings, and you shall do well.
    okay ill listen to you since I am sure you know what you are talking about. Stop watching Naruto at ~episode 100 and wait for a while and wacth FMA with subtitles meanwhile and the movie.

That place over there........ahh never mind
    I think you're all forgetting him when to start watching it again and when to stop again. b/c the way I remember it the story pics back up again after the fillers.

R.I.P Captain America.

ButtSause

hi

hiya guys im new

^ Interesting name you have... Welcome to gotwoot!

Whoa...i'm not even gonna touch that one (too easy)...welcome to the forums.