Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: What I don't get...

Well lucky for him he didn't follow your risky scheme to buy real estate, what with the housing market falling out in the past year. He might owe more than the house is worth now. His parents didn't work all their lives to leave him an inheritance that he can squander away on risky deals. He owes them better.

“For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?”

Awesome user with default custom title Uchiha Barles's Avatar
    Anyone who knows a little bit about real estate knows that the housing market works in cycles. Anyone who knows a bit more knows that if you bought a worthwhile piece of property, it barely matters when you bought it if you can hold on to it. His inheritance was more than large enough to do that. As in, buy a good piece of property, and sit on it. Anyone who knows a little bit over that much, knows how squeeze a deal no matter what the market looks like. Following my advice blindly would've been foolish. Following it after having taken four months to read up on the subject, and seeking out the advice of some professionals after having done some self education, would've made him a millionaire three times over by now, or in the forseable future.

He owes himself better than to follow blindly.

It sounds like you have more confidence in your friend and more aspirations for his money than is warranted.

If making money from real estate was that easy and assured, we'd all be rich.

“For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?”

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax
    "Easy" is a very subjective concept.
    For example, it would seem "easy" to put your money into solid stocks and sit on it for 10 years. However, far too many people make the mistake of buying high and selling low.

fear, impatience, greed, and haste can turn something that's easy into something that's complicated.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

It sounds like you have more confidence in your friend and more aspirations for his money than is warranted.

I'd mentioned something about an education component to this. The four month estimate I made in the previous post was particular to my friend, who is rather intelligent. Might take someone with less intelligence a year. I have no aspirations for his money. I made a suggestion a few years ago, probed a bit when he said no, and didn't think about it again until this discussion, when bringing him up as an example was useful. Unwillingness to learn and fear is what hold most people back from even trying. Impatience and emotional decision making is what causes a lot of people who do have the proper knowledge to fail. It seems rather simple to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Assertn
    What I don't get is employee mentality.
    company pride/spirit, corporate politics, climbing the business ladder.

For some reason people love this stuff. I don't understand it.
    The Onion producers must visit these forums:
    Young people remain apathetic about office politics

There are 5,000+ members registered at GotWoot forums.

Only three or four post everyday.

When did GotWoot become such a ghost town?

I think more than 3 or 4 post everyday. Maybe 9-10 people.

I asked a similar question not long ago. I think part of it is because it's summer vacation. The other part is that AOne doesn't sub Naruto anymore, so people don't come here to download the torrent or stay to discuss the episode.

What I don't get is, in Will Smith's song "Gettin' Jiggy Wit' It", he claims he likes Cuban cigars "for the look, but I don't light it". So basically he's admitting he's a poser. Why would he do that?

Because fashion is more important to him than character?
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I think more than 3 or 4 post everyday. Maybe 9-10 people.

I asked a similar question not long ago. I think part of it is because it's summer vacation. The other part is that AOne doesn't sub Naruto anymore, so people don't come here to download the torrent or stay to discuss the episode.
    Plus, they're not speedsubbers, who generally attract a lot of attention and traffic, nor do they release discussion worthy subs regularly. Don't get me wrong, I love you guys, and just keep doing what you do. It's just that you can't help but deny that it's the reason for members going idle.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire
    Because fashion is more important to him than character?
    Or it could be that he had to do multiple shots for the video, and lighting a new cigar in each one for few seconds of footage would be a huge waste.

Oh snaps. That's actually neat. Think of him incorporating that into his song lyrics just to save money on the video. Oh Will, that money saver.

Ani: Why do you know the lyrics to Gettin Jiggy With It?
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Some critic once said that Will Smith makes rap accessible to white America. While I'm not a white American, the sentiment still applies to me. I actually liked this song too, as much as I liked MC Hammer's "Can't Touch This".

Quote Originally Posted by Board of Command
    Or it could be that he had to do multiple shots for the video, and lighting a new cigar in each one for few seconds of footage would be a huge waste.
    He could have sold each one on eBay and made millions.

For sale: Cuban cigar used in rap music video, only lit once, guaranteed to contain an ounce of spit and teeth marks from celebrity actor/singer Will Smith, starting bid $5.

That's funny...most rap records are sold to "white america", and will smith just isn't very relevant in the scene, clubs, or anything else involving rap and hip hop. Not even at the time the song came out. Rap is plenty accessible to "white america."

Edited to turn gibberish into english.
    Last edited by Uchiha Barles; Wed, 07-30-2008 at 08:42 AM.

What I don't get is, if your avatar represents you, why do guys use a picture of some hot chick as their avatar?

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    What I don't get is why video container formats take so long to get into mainstream use and home entertainment machines. Only in the last, say 2 years from what I've seen, have we really "accepted" mp4 as a widely accepted format on machines like PS3 and such. The format was first approved in 1998.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

It's sad that so many video formats are not recognised by the PS3. It would really be so much more useful if we can play more formats via streaming.
    "Our hearts are full of memories but not all of them reflect the truth. The heart isn't a recording device. Even important memories change with time. They warp or fade, leaving us with but a shadow of what we hoped to remember." 天の道を行き、全てを司る。これは僕の世界。

Sony being the company behind the infamous rootkit scandal it's no wonder why PS3 is stiff and wouldn't accept formats commonly used for illicit purposes.

What I don't get is how some rockers can roar/scream and do it so naturally. Most of the time it doesn't even make you wince.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaitne
    What I don't get is how some rockers can roar/scream and do it so naturally. Most of the time it doesn't even make you wince.
    If you're talking about Michael Akerfeldt from Opeth, then you ought to consider the rumor that he contracted a demon for this talent. A rumor started by me.