Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: TV/Movie General Discussion

Awesome user with default custom title UChessmaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnage
    Still a detective story.
    How is it a detective story when he didn`t do any actual detective work?

And they already covered the detective aspects of Batman very well in the first two movies.
    Oh yeah, I forgot his IQ was meant to drop 70 points after two movies.

Edit: How stupid would it be for Blade or Static Shock to be White?
    Very stupid considering the low amount of black super heroes in entertainment. How stupid would it be for Nick Fury to be black? oh wait, black Fury worked.

Im not doubting actor's ability to portray Johnny Storm's personality, but the fact of the matter is that Johnny Storm is white. You seem to have difficulty seeing that this is much more noticeable than a few inches on an actor.
    Is it more noticeable? sure, but it certainly didn`t stop people from bitching, where are these people now? If whoever got casted does a good enough role, people will forget about his skin color, just like Samuel L. Jackson and just like Hugh Jackman. Also, news flash; Johnny Storm`s basic characteristic is not that he`s white, it`s that he can turn on fire. THAT, I promise you, will not change.
    Last edited by UChessmaster; Wed, 05-15-2013 at 03:13 PM.
    You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful. -Marie Curie

Im going to stop arguing after this but:

Quote Originally Posted by UChessmaster View Post
    How is it a detective story when he didn`t do any actual detective work?
    I only watched the movie once but from what I recall it a mystery for the audience. He never figured it out himself but, but it was still a mystery. Either way, detective work had already been covered in the first two movies.

Quote Originally Posted by UChessmaster
    Very stupid considering the low amount of black super heroes in entertainment. How stupid would it be for Nick Fury to be black? oh wait, black Fury worked.
    But I thought race didn't matter? Why would you or anyone else care? They could make up for it with another minority lead.

Quote Originally Posted by UChessmaster
    Is it more noticeable? sure, but it certainly didn`t stop people from bitching, where are these people now? If whoever got casted does a good enough role, people will forget about his skin color, just like Samuel L. Jackson and just like Hugh Jackman. Also, news flash; Johnny Storm`s basic characteristic is not that he`s white, it`s that he can turn on fire. THAT, I promise you, will not change.
    But people had been bitching. And yes, it did work, because nobody under the age 22 fucking knew who Nick Fury was before the Ultimate Universe. I grew up with a black Nick Fury, it was completely normal to me, but my older brother was surprised having been a huge fan of the older X-men and Spiderman cartoons (and actually remembering it). And again, Nick Fury had never been a big name so it was easy to change. He's hadn't exactly been "iconic" before they based him of Sammy J.

Sorry to burst your bubble. No being white/black/asian isn't a super power, but it is a relevant part of a character's identity. Much more noticeable than a few inches in height or years in age.

Awesome user with default custom title UChessmaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
    I only watched the movie once but from what I recall it a mystery for the audience. He never figured it out himself but, but it was still a mystery. Either way, detective work had already been covered in the first two movies.
    There was never any mistery, Talia`s reveal was a plot twist. I don`t think anyone was wondering who is Ra`s kid. And if Batman is a detective (The world`s greatest detective at that), he should be in each and every movie.

But I thought race didn't matter? Why would you or anyone else care? They could make up for it with another minority lead.
    One of the reason of introducing a black character is because there`s a painfully low amount of black characters, subtracting one is a little bit counter productive.

But people had been bitching. And yes, it did work, because nobody under the age 22 fucking knew who Nick Fury was before the Ultimate Universe. I grew up with a black Nick Fury, it was completely normal to me, but my older brother was surprised having been a huge fan of the older X-men and Spiderman cartoons (and actually remembering it). And again, Nick Fury had never been a big name so it was easy to change. He's hadn't exactly been "iconic" before they based him of Sammy J.
    So are you saying Fury is ok because he was turned into a black character a long time ago? Do you see the problem here? If they go through with Johnny storm, in 15 years you shouldn`t have any problem whatsoever.

Sorry to burst your bubble. No being white/black/asian isn't a super power, but it is a relevant part of a character's identity. Much more noticeable than a few inches in height or years in age.
    According to who? I don`t understand how Johnny storm suddenly loses his identity because his melanocytes spiked in activity.

Im going to stop arguing after this
    Why?
    You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful. -Marie Curie

Because we won't convince each other.

There was never any mistery, Talia`s reveal was a plot twist. I don`t think anyone was wondering who is Ra`s kid. And if Batman is a detective (The world`s greatest detective at that), he should be in each and every movie.
    No, because Batman is about more than just being a detective. The third movie covered his inability to get over his parent's death and rest from fighting crime. He doesn't always have to be a detective, that aspect has already been covered. Again, you're just grasping at straws now.

One of the reason of introducing a black character is because there`s a painfully low amount of black characters, subtracting one is a little bit counter productive.
    I was parodying you and sapphire. If race isn't an identity component to you guys, then it shouldn't matter in the first place.

So are you saying Fury is ok because he was turned into a black character a long time ago? Do you see the problem here? If they go through with Johnny storm, in 15 years you shouldn`t have any problem whatsoever.

According to who? I don`t understand how Johnny storm suddenly loses his identity because his melanocytes spiked in activity.
    No, I was saying that you don't hear people being disgruntled because you're probably not around the people who are, who happen to be an older crowd now. I'm saying its okay because to a large portion of the audience now viewing Marvel movies, Nick Fury was never an iconic character in the first place. That is why people were able to absorb it so easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnage View Post

I'm in that older crowd who knew Nick Fury was white with the distinctive white hair at the temples and cigar in his mouth. I bitched a bit when I saw black Fury, but then I'm with those who don't want the characters we grew up with being changed to satisfy political correctness or be more inclusive. Like you said, Stan Lee, Ditko, Kane, etc all were white guys creating characters they identified with. It wasn't some racist conspiracy to keep the black man out of comics. I'd have been just as upset if they made Nick Fury into a brown or yellow man.

I think it didn't help that it was Samuel L Jackson either. I like the guy, but I think he's over-exposed. Denzel Washington would have made a good black Fury. He has the squarish head and athletic build (and hair that they could add white to the temples).

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

I'm watching Oblivion, and it's freaking beautiful. Like the graphics are great, and the general color palatte (grey/blue?) of the movie.

Anyway, the CGI team did a great job on this.

The set design and whole general aesthetic of the high-concept was great, too.
    Last edited by Sapphire; Tue, 07-30-2013 at 01:51 AM. Reason: grammurz
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire View Post
    I'm watching Oblivion, and it's freaking beautiful. Like the graphics is great, and the general color palatte (grey/blue?) of the movie.

Anyway, the CGI team did a great job on this.

The set design and whole general aesthetic of the high-concept was great, too.
    Yeah, the director (Joseph Kosinski) has a very strong design background too and a great aesthetic sense. His team also did Tron: Legacy which was also quite stunning visually. I particularly loved the vehicle concepts in both movies.

Yeah, Joseph Kosinski is a damn visual master. I think he's a professor of architecture or something? I really am moved when people are able to materialize their artistic visions so perfectly, and skillfully and beautifully.

Spoilers!

The movie itself was very good. I was not expecting the twists (I barely remembered the trailer) and actually found some of the stuff that happened to be rather disturbing. My mind was totally blown when we discovered there is no Titan. I was thinking it would be like Elysium, or something.

I mean, is the wife just going to run through ALL the Jacks??! We're already on Jack #3 when we see her struggling with the decision of whether or not to tell her daughter that that's her daddy at the end. She can't hook up with all THOUSAND Jacks who come looking for her!

What's stopping the aliens from coming again? Nothing!

I feel sorry for Vic, it's obvious she had memories of Jack's real wife and was probably having flashbacks of Jack with another woman that whole time. Vic's performance blew me out of the water. It's a shame people didn't seem to give a shit about this movie when it was out...

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire View Post
    She can't hook up with all THOUSAND Jacks who come looking for her!
    Not going to happen for obvious reasons

What's stopping the aliens from coming again? Nothing!
    There are no "aliens", just this one super advanced AI, it was basically galactus.
    -----------------

Let me pull a Y and say that your post is totally worthles DS. :<

It could very well happen, the chronicle of what occurred to make the humans stop having to live in hiding and the Jacks/Vics stop having to be repairmen could easily transmit across the nation/world. They definitely have the technology to do so and Jack is already curious enough. The Scavs themselves ought to have a network of communication of some sort, I mean this happened post 2017 and it wasn't exactly a secret that the humans were all being wiped out by a million Jacks. Only a secret from the Jacks/Vics themselves.

And regardless of whether it was an alien or an alien AI, that doesn't mean that they can't just send another one to soak up all earth's resources like they it had been doing to other planets.

Worthless*

Who is "they"? That thing was its entire "species"; a giant autonomous AI that prolly killed its creators.
    It was sucking up resources for itself, just moving from planet to planet, like galactus.

And no it won't happen, the other jacks don't know about what's beyond their "safe" zone, and they won't go looking either; jack only went beyond the barrier because morgan freeman told him so and the second jack only went looking because he met the other jack.
    They will stop being repairmen prolly, but they won't go beyond the barrier, because they have 0 reason to suddenly believe it's safe.
    -----------------

That's possible, but it seems insanely retarded. There's no evidence anywhere that the AI killed it's own creators, nor does that even make sense that someone smart enough to make AI would be stupid enough to enable it to kill them. Even humans nowadays are programming against this currently. It makes more sense that aliens built and sent a mining/exploration AI for their own purposes. But I guess there is no proving how dumb your butt is without comic book evidence or something. :/

Jack* (biatch!)

When all communication with the AI stops and the drones all shut down, this will only give the Jacks more reason to be curious and seek communication/answers. I imagine I'd be trying every single network I could think of to get back in contact with Titan, or someone that may have survived. The "radiation zones" will be totally irrelevant to any remaining humans hiding around, and the drones seem to have done a pretty shitty job killing them at least in zone 49, lol. But even assuming that somehow only humans in zone 49 managed to survive and ALL OTHER humans were wiped out, Jack and Vick's technology should easily pick up any waves that the survivors are transmitting. Also, I highly doubt that the Scavs are going to let their beloved savior Jack 1-500 (minus 49 & 52) just die alone with Vick without knowing what happened at all.
    Last edited by Sapphire; Thu, 08-01-2013 at 01:20 AM.

The evidence is implied; it's not a mining/exploration vessel simply because it cloned an army of humans to cleanse the planet.
    The whole morning communication with the fake sally also implies the AI is insanely smart; it's a self-sustained, self-sufficient devourer of worlds, gathering resources for anyone but itself would be the actual retarded thing because it would just use them flying back to wherever beyond the solar system it came from. It feeds and moves on.

Heck the TET was lined with drones, but vick stated many times they had trouble getting new materials, which again implies that losing a drone and replacing it with a new one was too costly. So if the AI doesn't want to waste resources on drones, why would it waste them to fly back to its (non-existant) alien overlords?

The radiation zones would also not become "irrelevant", because to the other jacks all those other "humans" are simply scavs/aliens.
    Vick has shown she will resist everytime Jack tries to resist, so there's another conflict.
    And he both 52/49 have only shown to resist/remember when they were exposed to julia.

And another point, "2 weeks left", I'm pretty sure there aren't actually hundreds of jacks walking around, they most prolly have a soft expiration date after which they are returned to the TET and a new team is formed; "are you an effective team?".
    The radiation zones are probably only used to keep new teams away from old teams, I wouldn't be surprised if 52 and 49 were the only ones close to each other.

So with the drones shutting down, which is bs because they have shown to be autonomous and have their own powersupplies, everything else would shut down as well, so no spaceships for the others to use to even get down from the towers.
    And even if they were to get down and explore, they had no reason to "look for julia", because they weren't exposed to her; it even took 52 three years to find her.
    -----------------

There's going to be a Kiki's Delivery Service live action, etc.

"Always be yourself... unless you suck."

I really hope they work on the story and characters more and less on special effects in the sequel. Also hope they call it something other than "Prometheus 2", kinda like how they went from Alien to Aliens. Maybe Prometheii?

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

I just found this show on Fusion called No, You Shut Up! and it's hilarious. Paul F. Tompkins hosts a panel of Muppets who discuss politics and world events. As the name of the show suggests, it gets contentious and ridiculous. It's usually followed by a Henson company produced animated show called Good Morning Today, which is a spin on morning news shows, also worth a watch.

Marathoned the first season of Faking It. I kind of watched in on a whim, but it was actually really funny and I enjoyed the hell out of it. I hadn't watched any of mtv's scripted stuff in a long time, but was really impressed. Two best friends get mistaken for being lesbians at school, and they agree to perpetuate the misunderstanding because it is making them popular.

The cast and writers have great comedic timing.