Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Manga: To Love-Ru

whaa! urge to kill, rising!

read through it the past week. few good parts, but overclouded by generic harem comedy ecchi aspects.

and the ending, well. I don't care if it was cut short, it still should have been ended properly. it's not like it was going anywhere, anyways.

(actually, I hated this manga with passion, everything that's bad in popular manga is in this one)

sig made by Itachi-y2k5, thanks, dude!
    Currently Watching: probably a show directed at 9 years old girls, lets be honest.

You know the important distinction between Batman and me? Batman is fictional. In real life, there isn't always an alternative.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu
    @Archie:
    I believe it is fairly rare for series to switch magazines, much less publishers. Usually that is only when a still-popular series is in a magazine that gets cancelled, as with Claymore.
    How about a proper ending through OVA(s) ā la kenshin?

Except the manga has a proper ending even though it was a little rushed, but the OVA was just added on to make more money. The script for the Samurai X: Reflection OVA wasn't even written by Nobuhiro Watsuki (author of the series). He review it but didn't really like it since he believed Kenshin went through too much crap and deserved a happy ending.

As far as To-Love-Ru goes, this series deserve to cut short. I can understand the whole wanting for a series to have some time to develop but this series has absolutely 0 progress so far. Aside from introducing new side characters occasionally, there has been no significant changes in the 160+ chapters. I'd rather have series like these end and leave room for manga that actually has potential to be good.
    Last edited by Dark Dragon; Fri, 09-11-2009 at 04:33 PM.

Blog Entries
    I didn't care about that, i just loved how i always had a smile on my face after reading a new chapter

The manga overall wasn't any sort of masterpiece but what it wanted to do it did well, and that was to be a simple and lighthearted romance/harem manga that was meant to entertain and not over think

PS: I also hated the Kenshin OVA, it was like it was made for the sake of those douches who can't stand happy endings because they're expected to happen

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Dragon
    I can understand the whole wanting for a series to have some time to develop but this series has absolutely 0 progress so far. Aside from introducing new side characters occasionally, there has been no significant changes in the 160+ chapters. I'd rather have series like these end and leave room for manga that actually has potential to be good.
    And by that logic, Pastel is ongoing...why?

TLR was not the greatest series out there, but the art was good, the core characters had potential if the author had stopped introducing more and more pointless side characters and Black Cat cameos, and it was a solid harem premise.

The problem was the number of side characters. When was the last time Lala had a serious arc of her own? While I had no problem with her sisters getting development (huge fan of Momo), it seemed like they forgot about her completely. As an example, Kotegawa was a lovely character, but we all knew she had no chance at all, so they shouldn't have focused on her so much aside from the occasion side-story chapter.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Fri, 09-11-2009 at 09:06 PM.

I'm not too familiar with Japanese magazine publisher but Pastel is published by another company so maybe it has less strict policy concerning performance?

I don't particularly hate to-love-ru, despite what my previous might seem to suggest. It's just that every time i read a chapter, it just feel so frustrating. I feel like the author ran out of idea of what to do with the series and didn't want to go through the trouble of getting another one serialized (this being his first and what not).

Being a fan of Ranma 1/2, i understand the whole light heart entertainment without much need for thinking. But the occasional plot development might have keep more people interested and this series going longer.

Also, Rito is the epitome of worthless main character. He can't even get pass as being "kind" to girls, some development on his character would have been nice. Even Keitaro (Love Hina) get the occasional cool moments and character growth.
    Last edited by Dark Dragon; Sat, 09-12-2009 at 03:10 AM.

they released a new "chapter"
    manga traders
    it's a chapter, if you call brainless, shirtless, topless bath ecchi story.
    if you don't, then it's a "chapter".

Currently Watching: probably a show directed at 9 years old girls, lets be honest.

You know the important distinction between Batman and me? Batman is fictional. In real life, there isn't always an alternative.

Blog Entries
    It's a fucking hentai chapter, i thought it was shit

Blog Entries
    To Love-Ru Manga Restarts

... I'm confused, so it's a spinoff?

To Love-Ru Darkness - Chapter 01

Red Hawk Scans

MediaFire | SendSpace | MegaUpload

CXC Scans

Last edited by Marik; Tue, 10-05-2010 at 02:06 PM.

So are those two princesses the two new inserts I guess?

Also, I didn't think this series could have more fan service, but they outdid themselves.

having a character plotting around (momo) when everyone else is a naive idiot is jarring.
    well, I've hated her (Momo) with passion, and it looks like the new manga is going to be a lot about her.

business as usual. I guess.

Blog Entries
    So this is now a monthly issue? And it's gonna be focusing on Yami?

Anyone know where i can get more info?

Yeah, it's monthly. It's in Jump Square magazine along with Claymore, D.Gray-man, Rosario + Vampire II, etc.

Edit: Red Hawk released this today as well. I've put it in the earlier post with the CXC release.
    Last edited by Marik; Tue, 10-05-2010 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Death BOO Z View Post
    having a character plotting around (momo) when everyone else is a naive idiot is jarring.
    well, I've hated her (Momo) with passion, and it looks like the new manga is going to be a lot about her.
    I've always liked Momo the best in the later chapters of To Love Ru. It is a pleasant change of pace to have a character in a harem who actively goes after the male lead, rather than being yet another cliche tsundere (Kotegawa), stupidly perky and oblivious (Lala), a kuudere (Yami), or woefully gentle and generic (Haruna).

Momo isn't slowly drawn to Rito through his occasional displays of manliness amongst the ecchi clumsiness as the other girls are, she very much wants to take him. Now they've shifted her into wanting to be the secret queen amidst his harem. If the series focuses on her and Yami (the primary obstacle to her plan according to chapter 1 of Darkness) instead of Rito as it did in the first series, it should be an interesting twist on the normal harem genre.

If it sticks to that unorthodox viewpoint, especially from the scheming Momo's point of view, it should make for an interesting and potentially compelling series.

Blog Entries
    Lol Ryll, and conniving harem hoes are some sort of celestial event that only occurs once every thousand years? I agree that the whole lot of them are a cliché after another and that includes Momo.

Now what MIGHT be somewhat new and fresh about this whole situation is that the author seems to plan to shift the attention from the male and female leads in this spinoff to Yami and the little princesses and i've never personally seen Momo's character type as a protagonist

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    Lol Ryll, and conniving harem hoes are some sort of celestial event that only occurs once every thousand years? I agree that the whole lot of them are a cliché after another and that includes Momo.
    The difference is that Momo is not portrayed as the two more common versions of her character archetype:

a) A villain (Kodachi from Ranma, girl from Bitter Virgin)
    b) Comedy relief who always fails (Kurumu/Yukari from R+V)

Momo is fairly successful with her plans by comparison, and while she is certainly one of the most lustful characters in the series, she is not a villain. She's more like Shizuku from the Kämpfer anime. I contest those types of characters are considerably more rare.

Blog Entries
    The girl from Bitter Virgin is a what now??! You sure you're not confusing it with some other manga?

I can still come up with some examples such as the blond from maburaho and the purple haired one from Sora no Otoshimono ( yeah i'm amazing with names when anidb is down ) but i will agree that the archetype is both rarer and more enjoyable to watch, especially now where she's apparently going to be given the spotlight

Also since i have your attention, what do you think of Momo's new design? I think it's a tad strange how much she now looks like a short haired Nana

The evil curly-haired girl from Bitter Virgin moron. Kuriko from Maburaho I might give you (though she strikes me more as the failure type because otherwise she'd have what she wants), and Mikako from Sora no Otoshimono isn't even in the main character's harem, she's after the other guy. Poor examples.

Nothing about the design struck me out of the ordinary concerning her design, got any comparison shots?

To Love-Ru Darkness - Chapter 02

Red Hawk Scans

CXC Scans

Last edited by Marik; Wed, 11-03-2010 at 09:31 PM.