Thread: Just a little need for ASS subtitles tests

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar

Just a little need for ASS subtitles tests

I need to test rich feature enabled ASS subtitles.
    I currently use PS3 MS to stream/transcode mkv files to my PS3 using CoreAVC as a decoder and the avisynth/Mencoder settings.

I works quite well and I can display kanji, ramonized japanese and subtitles with no problem, even original fonts are ok with those settings.

To test it a further, I would need a good karaoke song with animated kanji, to check wether it works or not.
    Most OP¨and EP are hardcoded, so I have no luck testing with that.
    I tried some Macross F eps, but karaoke isn't animated it seems.

Sometimes though, you get an insert song and the ASS subtitle and karaoke aren't hardcoded. I just can't find a good example in my collection and my memory is weak.

So basically, I need the name of the show, ep number and time when the song starts.

Thanks a lot for helping.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

When i was scrolling down the forum index page checking which sections had new posts, then under General Support there was a new thread called "Just a little need for ASS..."

I have to admit, i thought this was going to be an entirely different subject ^_^

I'm sorry i can't help you with your problem tho, good luck with it anyway!

"Always be yourself... unless you suck."

Quote Originally Posted by Penner
    When i was scrolling down the forum index page checking which sections had new posts, then under General Support there was a new thread called "Just a little need for ASS..."

I have to admit, i thought this was going to be an entirely different subject ^_^

I'm sorry i can't help you with your problem tho, good luck with it anyway!
    Well, I guess people developing Advanced Substation Alpha had a good time when choosing their extension name...
    It's also supposed to be an SSA evolution, hence the inversion in letters...

Thread title would have been too long and would get less exposure with Advanced Substation Alpha... Proof is you checked it

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David75
    I tried some Macross F eps, but karaoke isn't animated it seems.
    [SFW] Queen's Blade S2 Episode 11

OP starts at 00:15
    ED starts at 22:24 (the animated subs anyway)

By animated, these only change colour, so it's not the fancy bells and whistles you get in some releases. I haven't come across those in softsubs yet I don't think.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian
    [SFW] Queen's Blade S2 Episode 11

OP starts at 00:15
    ED starts at 22:24 (the animated subs anyway)

By animated, these only change colour, so it's not the fancy bells and whistles you get in some releases. I haven't come across those in softsubs yet I don't think.
    Thanks a lot, there's already a lot with kanji, color change and so on.
    It allowed me to discover my mpc-hc wasn't that well tuned regarding non static subs.
    VLC worked well regarding subs.
    I will check later how it works through a realtime transcode to a PS3.

Edit:
    There are many ways to transcode a video for the PS3 with PS3 MS
    One of them has colorchanging subs but no kanji
    The has no colorchanging, but kanji and retrieves the right fonts.
    I will have to search further why it works that way, because I have the same problem on my comp... So it was finally a good thing I searched into this
    Thanks again
    Last edited by David75; Sun, 01-10-2010 at 07:24 AM.

Thanks a lot, there's already a lot with kanji, color change and so on.
    It allowed me to discover my mpc-hc wasn't that well tuned regarding non static subs.
    VLC worked well regarding subs.
    I will check later how it works through a realtime transcode to a PS3.
    Glad to help. I'd be interested in your results from the realtime trancode, since I'm about to set up a PS3 media server myself.

Glad to help. I'd be interested in your results from the realtime trancode, since I'm about to set up a PS3 media server myself.
    I edited right at the same time you were writing your post.

I use PS3 Media server and I'm getting more and more acustomed to it.
    I use it on a Win7x64 box.

It works fairly well, provided you have a gigabit link beetween your PC-switch-PS3, at least for high quality files.

It works fairly well, provided you have a gigabit link beetween your PC-switch-PS3, at least for high quality files.
    I guess a g w/lan won't cut it then.

I guess a g w/lan won't cut it then.

Well, from what I read, wi-fi streaming doesn't seem to work that well. At least anytime you have HD files+transcoding.
    I hate wi-fi, and I know how to run cables in flats/appartments/houses, so I chose that solution.
    The solution is certainly to reduce the quality of the transcode, but the idea in using the PS3 is to have some quality on a flat panel. So it all depends on what you're ready to lose I guess.

Regarding subs, I'm trying to understang how mplayer and ffmpeg binaries are used by PS3 MS in order to check wether I can introduce libass library that does a very good job in VLC.
    Apparently, at least I my level, I can't have mixed alphabet and kanji characters in the same line with VSfilter or mpc internal subtitle decoder. I can't have karaoke animation
    VLC does that very well... using libass, hence my searches.

For those interrested the problem was a minor one.
    In DirectVobSub configuration, Misc tab, "Pre-Buffer subpicture" must remain unchecked or it will mess with subtitles animation.

Now the Queen's blade subtitles animation works with kanji and romaji, the mixed kanji/romaji lines work in railgun 14 OP (around 2'50"), ladies versus buttler op with animated subs all around screen works.

I have yet to find a non hardcoded very rich animated subtitle: with littles stars/hearts and complex animation as we get in some ops. But it's of a very little importance now that I cover like 99% of subtitles needs.