Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: vbulletin upgraded

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries

vbulletin upgraded

I've updated vbulletin to the latest version in the 3.x line, to fix a couple outstanding issues.

Predictably, I've introduced several new issues into the mix as a result. These mainly have to do with new features that our old theme doesn't surface, and old plugins and mods that have been superseded by built-in functionality.

I'll be working to correct these issues as I find out about them. But I'm sure you'll be finding them before I do. So please, submit your comments about what's broken here! Meanwhile, I've enabled the vbulletin default theme, so if you want to check out the new features that we're missing on the gotwoot style, or you want to trade off on appearance to get functionality back, feel free to hop over to that one.

Depending on how much theme-related breakage went on, I might re-style a copy of the default theme into something resembling the current gotwoot style, or might just skip it and forge ahead to the vb 4.0 upgrade.

Running count of known issues
    • invalid security token errors working on it
    • reputation display not showing up fixed
    • favicon reverted to default fixed
    • Double-post on quick-reply status unknown, may be a cached js issue. Is this still happening?
    • captcha in the search not a bug, but fixed
    • "Search this thread" not working appears to be working?.
    • Quickreply box size has shrunk, is undesirably small looking into it
    • Multi-quote in default theme is strange works as expected - to multiquote, you pick the things you want to quote, then you click "quote" on one of them and compose your multi-quote reply.
    • Strange thread navigation problems unconfirmed, need an example
    • No "viewpost.gif" in gotwoot theme fixed, willing to take better theme-matching submissions on this and other buttons.
    • Text color dropdown on full reply not working Confirmed, TODO..
    • Some moderation functions not working TODO
    • Inferno warning system not looking like it works anymore TODO
    • Disable reputation functionality working differently than before gotta look into that.
    • QReply button no longer works, at all Confirmed. TODO.
    • [Signature upload problems caused by old sig limits plugin, fixed now
    • old photopost vbAdvance gallery is broken. Looking into possibly importing that gallery content into vb's built-in gallery. Leaving the images in place so old image hotlinks should still work too.
    • User profiles sorta broken... Confirmed. TODO.
    Last edited by complich8; Sat, 04-03-2010 at 12:44 PM.

When making a post, I got an error message telling the post is a dublicate of a post I've already made within the last five minutes. When in fact it was my first post today. It got posted nonetheless, in the General discussion News thread.

I'm not sure if there's any difference compared to the old, but the Quick Reply textbox could perhaps be a bit wider. Now it has plenty of wasted space on both sides. Assuming widening it isn't much trouble.

Edit: The Quick Reply made a double post here.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I quick-replied too in a General Discussion thread, which popped up with a message saying that I need to wait 30secs before I can post again - despite being my first post for a while. Opening a new tab to view the forum shows that the post was indeed made when I clicked "Post Quick Reply", and that the request was sent twice somehow.

edit: Right after I "quick replied" just now, I got the 5min message described by Kraco.

edit2: After the upgrade I have repped some users who appear to have no green/red bar. I assumed that was because they had zero reputation. After repping them, they still showed no green/red bar.

edit3: Capcha is back in the search function. Unsure if this was intended.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Mon, 03-22-2010 at 05:09 AM.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

"Mark forums read" gives me this error:

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was invalid.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.
    -----------------

There's also no "Search in this thread" function that I can see. And yeah, captcha on searches doesn't seem like a good thing.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    • quick reply double-post .... noted. I've fallen victim to the quickreply double-post thing too... so it's definitely actually posting twice. Bizarre.
    • captcha on search .... yeah, I guess we don't need that. Shouldn't be there anymore.
    • missing rep people: could you point out an example to me in a PM?
    • mark forum read, search this thread problems are probably related. Duly noted. That's probably the most troublesome thing to fix =/.
    • quickreply size: lemme see if I can find that.

I was toying around between Gotwoot's Style and the default one, so its not really bug but rather left over from trying things.

The default style has a multiple-quotes button which didn't do anything when checked. Then I returned to the Gotwoot style and tried to quote a post, in the same thread, and it quoted all the posts I had previously marked for quoting.

I also encountered the double post bug from the quick reply button.

And two things that I see as new:
    - Quoted posts now have a link that can take you to the quoted post
    - Invisible button to those who navigate Invisible. Previously is appeared as 'OFF' (not sure if this one is new... but I hadn't noticed it before)

About the quick-reply:

It now seems like you don't have to "enable" the quick reply text box by clicking on the QReply botton of a post. It's no longer grayed out as before.

What this does though is that it is no longer sending you automatically to the text box after clicking on "QReply" and the "Quote message in reply" isn't working.

The disable your reputation function seems to be broken. Before the update, I wouldn't see my reps when I went to the control panel, but now they're all visible like they are when you set it to show reputation.

This is what happened when I viewed the Amazing Cosplay MUST SEE NOW thread 1 minute ago.

I clicked on the "view first unread post" button from my control panel (as I'm subscribed to the thread). It takes me to the post. However, both the URL in my browser and the contents of the page show that I'm on page 117 of the thread, and that there's a page 118. When I click to go to page 118, it brings me back to 117.

I then backed out into the Anime subforum section and pressed the "Last Page" link for the cosplay thread. It also brings me back to page 117, with a link to page 118 available.

PS: QuickReplying just now had no issues.

I don't even know what they are called, but didn't Gotwoot use to have its own logo/icon that's connected to the site? So that when you bookmark the site, the symbol is carried over to the bookmark? At least firefox also shows the logo left of the url in the address bar. Right now it's the default blue vbulleting logo.

It's still the red circle/white capital G logo for me.

My bookmark retains the red G (or counterclockwise arrow) icon.

My address bar and tabs show the default blue icon. (firefox)

Edit: and that's probably because my bookmark links me to the default www.gotwoot.net page while I'm currently browsing the forums.gotwoot.net section.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    My bookmark retains the red G (or counterclockwise arrow) icon.

My address bar and tabs show the default blue icon. (firefox)

Edit: and that's probably because my bookmark links me to the default www.gotwoot.net page while I'm currently browsing the forums.gotwoot.net section.
    I also have the G bookmark.

Anyway...
    Im almost sure the 'greater than' symbol ( > ) besides the page numbers took you to the last page on the previous version and not the next page. Or maybe it did and the last page button is missing?

Also, the repping system on the vbulletin version, so we can please avoid it... Repping gives you a pop up screen after placing the rep. I think that is kinda annoying and hopefully we can avoid it if we get a new theme or updated theme from it. Though I laughed when it told me "thanks for subtracting points from the user" or "thank you giving him points, hopefully they will be given back to you" or something like that.
    Last edited by RyougaZell; Mon, 03-22-2010 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Editing test

"http://forums.gotwoot.net/gotwoot/images/buttons/viewpost.gif"

Doesn't exist.
    -----------------

Quote Originally Posted by complich8 View Post
    • missing rep people: could you point out an example to me in a PM?
    Not sure if this qualifys, but my reputation hover bar seems to have disappeared (under my avatar). At first I thought it was just that it didn't show it while I was logged in, but after browsing the forums while logged out, it still seems to have been lost. I still have my rep points in my control panel.

It's dangerous to go alone. Take Nep.

The text color drop down doesn't seem to work. You can click the button to get the hex code for black, but it doesn't drop down to let you select any other default colors.

The others (font, sizes, smiles, attachments) work fine.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhuin View Post
    Not sure if this qualifys, but my reputation hover bar seems to have disappeared (under my avatar). At first I thought it was just that it didn't show it while I was logged in, but after browsing the forums while logged out, it still seems to have been lost. I still have my rep points in my control panel.
    That looks like changes in functions_reputation.php (the file that, logically, has functions related to reputation). I have a customized functions_reputation, because otherwise the bigger people here would be running around giving 15000 point reps instead of the low 30's they're giving now.

I've changed that functions file, and I think things are working right. You'll want to verify.

Quote Originally Posted by darkshadow View Post
    "http://forums.gotwoot.net/gotwoot/images/buttons/viewpost.gif"

Doesn't exist.
    copied from default theme. May or may not look out of place in gotwoot theme. Now accepting gif submissions for missing or weird-looking buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    I don't even know what they are called, but didn't Gotwoot use to have its own logo/icon that's connected to the site? So that when you bookmark the site, the symbol is carried over to the bookmark? At least firefox also shows the logo left of the url in the address bar. Right now it's the default blue vbulleting logo.
    favicon.ico. unpacking the vbulletin archive and deploying it overwrote it, and I had forgotten about it. I've replaced it, but you may need to clear caches and/or refresh, or wait for it to expire from your cache before the G logo shows up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    The text color drop down doesn't seem to work. You can click the button to get the hex code for black, but it doesn't drop down to let you select any other default colors.

The others (font, sizes, smiles, attachments) work fine.
    Ugh. Seems like JS problems. Have to look into that, noted.

In other news, after 4 hours of sleep and a pretty intense 10 hour shift, I don't think I have a whole lot to give to these issues tonight. I'm going to use the first post in the thread to organize the list of problems and their statuses. Let me know if I got everything right, what I'm missing, etc. I'll try to get some time to fight with it tomorrow...
    Last edited by complich8; Mon, 03-22-2010 at 11:18 PM.

You forgot to mention what I mentioned in my post above about the behavior of the Quick Reply.
    http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread...82&postcount=8

Edit: Search This Thread is now showing up btw.

Not sure, but the text for the "Moderation" tools seems to be missing. There's an image there that contains the tools, but I think there's some text being eaten up after "Display Modes".
    Last edited by Munsu; Tue, 03-23-2010 at 12:02 AM.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    quickreply button: noted.
    search: calling it resolved unless I hear otherwise, then.
    Moderation tools: in the "thread tools" menu you mean? I know about that one... if you've got another one to point out, might need more specific information about it.