Thread: Another VB upgrade pending, looking for input

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    While my idea of spoiler tags did include the inevitable details of spoilers in a non-spoiler section, I was actually mentioning them for other uses as well, such as putting images in spoiler tags (if the auto-resize couldn't happen), or putting long two-person discussions into tags (such as the ones that happen between, say, Yuki and Ryll), or anything else that could shorten a thread. I only read the Naruto and Bleach manga, which is so far ahead now, I can't even remember a lot of the stuff that happens, so posting spoilers for a series wasn't ever really an intention, except for in a case like Rebuild, where someone brought up the issue of comparing it to the original and whether or not that would be a spoiler.

As far as the sigs go, like I said, the 400 width isn't really the problem... it's just the 100 height. The majority of my sigs are 400x125, so I would be perfectly fine with that. 500x150 might be getting closer to too large, but it's nowhere near as bad as the, say, 600x400 or whatever some people use on a forum where there is no restriction.

It's dangerous to go alone. Take Nep.

Quote Originally Posted by Alhuin View Post
    While my idea of spoiler tags did include the inevitable details of spoilers in a non-spoiler section, I was actually mentioning them for other uses as well, such as putting images in spoiler tags (if the auto-resize couldn't happen), or putting long two-person discussions into tags (such as the ones that happen between, say, Yuki and Ryll), or anything else that could shorten a thread. I only read the Naruto and Bleach manga, which is so far ahead now, I can't even remember a lot of the stuff that happens, so posting spoilers for a series wasn't ever really an intention, except for in a case like Rebuild, where someone brought up the issue of comparing it to the original and whether or not that would be a spoiler.
    1. As it stands you don't have to put an image into [img] tags. You post the url and it parses it as a url. No need for a toggle. Already ideal for spoiler images (when properly marked). Mods could also force the edit if someone posts a wallpaper outside of a thumbnail and breaks the layout.

2. Why would you want to put, "long two-person discussions into tags (such as the ones that happen between, say, Yuki and Ryll)," or otherwise shorten a thread? That completely eliminates the chance for someone to jump in and support one or the other. If a conversation wasn't meant to get jumped into, it would occur through PMs. The idea is to get a long dialogue going that others can hop into to diversify the viewpoints presented. We want to promote that level of activity on the forums, not fragment and isolate it.

If you're talking about nested conversations where the posts are cropped to links (something like Slashdot, et al.), then that is a different issue entirely. EDIT: Gotwoot already has that functionality, no one uses it to my knowledge.

3. As for Rebuild, I asked because I realized that some people were watching Evangelion for the first time. They'd never seen the original series. The dilemma comes into play because Rebuild leaves out a great deal that was discussed at great depth in the original series, and also intentionally draws out parallels and alternate takes on prominent events from the original. It is a special case. I wouldn't think of spoiling if it was a series of movie adaptations coming from a novel (Garden of Sinners) or manga (Break Blade).