Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GotWoot Fansubs Banners & Other Art

My last submission. I'm on the fence about the text. I really liked the "Gotwoot", but it felt empty with just that, so I added some more. Hopefully it's not enough to detract from the rest of the banner though.

Gotwoot Fansub Banner 4a.jpg

It's dangerous to go alone. Take Nep.

Don't believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifus View Post
    Alrighty. Been a long time; thus I fear Alhuin will take the gold.

Attachment 1434

Attachment 1431

Attachment 1410
    Can you make these say GotWoot? (or use an inside joke w/ Got___)
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

I'm not sure if you quoted the wrong text or not Sapphi, but those already say "Gotwoot" or "Got____".

Quote Originally Posted by Alhuin View Post
    I'm not sure if you quoted the wrong text or not Sapphi, but those already say "Gotwoot" or "Got____".
    ^ This; if these were the banners you intended, could you perhaps be a bit more specific? =P

Congrats! Alhuin's in the finals!

----

If you go with the second option, the Got"____" needs to be an inside joke or joke of some kind.

Grats Alhuin!

Woot! I hadn't even checked the site since submissions were closed, but I was wondering when voting would be up. Looks like I'm pretty close to the bottom >_<. But that's fine; I was more concerned with my banners even being used. I'm just glad all of them seem to be up.

Everyone should go vote though. There are some pretty good ones.

I like how mine didn't even make it in. Story of my life with this forum.

Effort nor quality doesnt equate to respect. Having some anime they like copy and pasted into a banner + text does tho.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by that Kage, but the GW-sub community is pretty separate and different to this one.

I'm not sure what Sapphi's doing with all the entries, but any ones that don't get taken up are free to become one of our own banners here (with slight modifications to comply)!

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

yeah its always been a popularity contest. Whether it was on here before, or now with whoever picking which made it to the voting round.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagemane_no_Jutsu View Post
    yeah its always been a popularity contest. Whether it was on here before, or now with whoever picking which made it to the voting round.
    That may be right. I can't say since I lack the expertise to recognise technical proficiency in PSed artwork when I see it.

I can only imagine that the same goes for most voters though (since it's not done by an elite panel of PSers), which means the submissions that go through are ones that simply please them the most (be it aesthetically or otherwise). Nothing inherently wrong with that I suppose, since this was never a technique competition in the first place.

Now if it was a "popularity contest" because the names of the authors are attached to the submissions.. that's something I'd be more pissed about.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    That may be right. I can't say since I lack the expertise to recognise technical proficiency in PSed artwork when I see it.

I can only imagine that the same goes for most voters though (since it's not done by an elite panel of PSers), which means the submissions that go through are ones that simply please them the most (be it aesthetically or otherwise). Nothing inherently wrong with that I suppose, since this was never a technique competition in the first place.

Well sure... you're absolutely right. And thats something I remind myself about with stuff like this.... sometimes it slips past tho and all thats left is the rage :P

The names were attached when Sapphire or whoever picked the ones to be voted upon.

Kage, both of your banners were added to the site before. This list is banners that were added to the site.

All this was in the contest posts. Since your banners were put in the site, they were up for staff nomination.

Staff could vote for as many banners as they wanted. I was aiming to put the top 5 or 10 banners for public poll. 15 staff voted, and any banner with 5 or more votes got put up in public poll. 14 banners are up for the public poll instead of 10 because the numbers on the bottom end of that range were really close.

The focus here was to make something simply likable, or funny, so essentially anyone could participate in the contest. So not so much of a Photoshop skills showcase as in these forums, which is why we accepted stuff that looked like screenshots (and why we had them up before).

As for the discontent, yeah, we can't all agree. Anime fans are weird anyway. I mean, the number one banner right now (and one of the most highly nominated banners by staff) is this weirdly misshapen butt/vagina thing. Previously, I made an "anime poonani vs. real poonani, which is better" poll and the results were 50/50.

There were no names when I put up the banners for nomination. That actually worried me a bit, because I was concerned with the people who submitted a way proportionally higher number of banners overwhelming the other people who didn't submit as much. Luckily, it worked out pretty well. Anyway, this contest has an assload of participants, but not including you guys, only 2 guys I recognized (only 1 guy got his banners put up). Even I'm not able to name all of the authors of the banners without checking and I've scoured the entries (a whopping, I don't even -know- how many entries) at least three times. I'm certain my staff has no clue who did what banner (with small margin of error).

PS—As for picking what went up in the site in the first place, we tried to be as impartial and fair as we could while keeping the well-being of the site in mind. Some individuals would submit 17+ retarded banners and 1 good one, but we added the good one anyway. So it was nothing personal...
    Last edited by Sapphire; Tue, 01-29-2013 at 02:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire
    As for the discontent, yeah, we can't all agree. Anime fans are weird anyway. I mean, the number one banner right now (and one of the most highly nominated banners by staff) is this weirdly misshapen butt/vagina thing
    What are you saying? That's awesome!

I mean.. */whistles....

For the Got____ joke to work best, it should really be a word with one syllable only. That said, I got a real kick out of GotRejected.

There's definitely a gradient of good and not so good banners there to choose from.
    edit: (looked at poll) wtf happened?! >:| A lot of the ones I liked turned out to come from here after all (I didn't actually know which ones you guys submitted as I browsed the list since I didn't pay that much attention to this thread).
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Tue, 01-29-2013 at 03:02 AM. Reason: looked at poll. ..

I just.....really need to know what's going on in the staffs head. How could they not approve of this beautiful submission?

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/2429/uchu.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifus View Post
    I just.....really need to know what's going on in the staffs head. How could they not approve of this beautiful submission?

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/2429/uchu.jpg
    I LOLed IRL!!!!

Was not expecting that Luci. Thanks for making my day, haha.

Also, Kage... I wouldn't take things so personally man. I'm surprised even one of my banners made it to top 14, especially seeing what else made it. I mean, some of the submissions are pretty good (I especially liked the "GotMail" Pokemon one that looked like it took some work), but then there are plenty that look like a simple screen cap with gradient-overlaid jagged text that baffles me. But I understand it. You, Luci and I... we all look at banner making (and anything else related to Photoshop) from a technical view. We find a render (or make one), find a background, add effects, add borders, add text, add effects to the text, etc. We spend a lot of time and effort on creating something that we find extraordinary. But to an average anime watcher that knows nothing of Photoshop, they're not going to see all those things; they're looking at what picture pleases them the most with the best use of "Got___". Like Bill said, this wasn't a contest on technique. If it were, I'd have no doubt us three would be fighting for top right now, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Alhuin
    But to an average anime watcher that knows nothing of Photoshop, they're not going to see all those things; they're looking at what picture pleases them the most with the best use of "Got___". Like Bill said, this wasn't a contest on technique. If it were, I'd have no doubt us three would be fighting for top right now, haha.
    While I agree more or less with that (since that's what I said before, after all), it's not like technique doesn't necessarily shine through as a good banner (it does). What I was trying to say before is that the appearance of a visually pleasing banner can also be made with a better quality raw that needed minimal touch-up in the first place.

In my mind, it's perfectly possible for (Good raw + less technique = okay raw + lots of touch-up), but you'll have to convince me really hard to make me believe that a (screencap + less technique + funny joke = good picture and/or good technique).

I was having to decide between a funny joke and a good picture when I was voting in that poll, and in the end I settled with the better picture. My reasoning is that the joke works in the short term, while the picture's aesthetic value remains persistent every time you see it.

edit: oh, and fuck all the late '90s kids who have no love for pokemon!

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    While I agree more or less with that (since that's what I said before, after all), it's not like technique doesn't necessarily shine through as a good banner (it does). What I was trying to say before is that the appearance of a visually pleasing banner can also be made with a better quality raw that needed minimal touch-up in the first place.

In my mind, it's perfectly possible for (Good raw + less technique = okay raw + lots of touch-up), but you'll have to convince me really hard to make me believe that a (screencap + less technique + funny joke = good picture and/or good technique).
    I believe you misunderstood my comment about technique, but I think you grasp the basic idea I had anyways. Regardless of skill or technique, most average voters are going to vote for whichever banner depicts their favorite series, or character, which is why I was saying they aren't going to pay attention to every tiny detail. To top that off, the use of "Got___" is also going to play a part, not because it's necessarily good, but because it's funny for it's intended purpose. This is why simple screencaps are doing so well. So my comment about technique not being evaluated wasn't to say it doesn't shine through as a good banner, just that within the target community, technique is only as good as what's popular.

At the other end of that debate though, I completely agree that good technique doesn't always = most work involved. There are plenty of banners on rotation that are probably just wallpaper crops with simple text applied that look amazing. Even a lot of sigs that are posted here are results of the same method. It's all about the quality of the source image.

My only gripe is.... if you're going to have a banner contest isn't the idea to vote on who MADE the best banner? Not who cropped a high quality image? It doesn't take a photoshop master to look at something and realize they don't deserve to win anything for putting in little to no effort. And really what they're doing is stealing someone else's work and claiming it as their own.

Yeah the pokemon one is probably my favorite of the simple images..... looks like nothing was done to it, could be wrong tho.

There's a bunch of others that are really nice too.... a couple you can tell had some work involved, Luci and Alhuins definitely included.