Thread: Cheap ass tablets

Blog Entries

Cheap ass tablets

So what would be the bare minimum to spend on one of these? They seem much more practical to carry around than laptops and i'd just be needing one for the occasional college assignment so i'm wondering if it would be worth it.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Well, I guess you did not know about the HP Touchpad bargain a few weeks ago.
    Next one could be the less interresting HTC Flyer.

I know that there's a $35 tablet that will enter the Indian market soon.

But cheap ass tablet market is a bit hard to explore, as you have so many options but never really know what you get.
    Most of the time, specs aren't in line with what you get for user space, ram or even cpu...
    You mainly get an android 2.x tablet, that will never be upgradable and have to pray it isn't full of bugs.

I did search for a while, there are fora for such devices, but since you have so many tablets, you never really get lots of testimonies per device. So you can't really tell the difference between someone trying to fool some potential buyers or real users talking about their experience with the product.

Hope it helps, even if it doesn't really answer your needs.
    If you get more info about cheap ass tablets, feel free to share.

Edit:
    I guess a second hand Ipad first gen would still be too expensive, or even a refurbished one.
    A second hand Galaxy Tab would be a good idea, but it's too recent to have a bargain.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

These are $6 per tablet, but you have to buy them in a 2 pack:

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

6$?
    even for two of them, it's expensive.

as for the electronic tablets... I think that 2nd hand is your best chance. find some early adapter that has an Ipad and another kind of tablet.

Either find an HP WebOS tablet for cheap or one of the many Android-based tablets and root it to run Android OS.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Keep an eye on the Kindle Fire, $199. Though I don't know if Portugal will have them.

Blog Entries
    I was thinking more like 100 euros, tops

You'll either get quality, or get crap. And quite truthfully just about everything below the $400 (and some above) price range are plain and simply crap, not worth spending the money on. So, if your getting a tablet, shell out the money for the expensive out the ass ones, or go for the Kindle Fire, being shipped this November 15th, which I've also pre-ordered.

By the way, the only reason to purchase one of these things, is for the ability to read (main reason I got the fire) books on them....(they're just smartphones with bigger screens)

If you already own a smartphone/laptop, getting one of these things is totally redundant.

I like the idea behind the fire though, where storage is all done on the cloud. Seems very useful, and with an 8 hour battery life, carrying all my books around on this thing as opposed to the massive textbooks I lug around now sounds like a godsend.

If your not interested in that, go get yourself a tiny Lenovo business laptop or something.
    Don't believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you.

Blog Entries
    I just want one for reports and shit and my big manly hands don't go well with pussy netbooks

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    I just want one for reports and shit and my big manly hands don't go well with pussy netbooks
    Well, those hands sure will be happy to meet a cheap ass tablet...
    If you plan on typing reports, my idea is that a tablet isn't the best option.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifus View Post
    I like the idea behind the fire though, where storage is all done on the cloud. Seems very useful, and with an 8 hour battery life, carrying all my books around on this thing as opposed to the massive textbooks I lug around now sounds like a godsend.
    I'm 99% sure a net connection eats many times more battery than an SDHC card. Considering the official specs, I'm sure that eight hours was measured without using the net connection (and thus the cloud) at all.

Yes, this is true. You can transfer from the cloud whatever you want to your device (admittedly limited 8 GB, but hey, its 200!) and kill the wifi for up to 8 hours of continuous reading. That's a win in my book.

I will remain skeptical of how much use I'll be putting into it, but for the price, this seems like a solid device.
    Don't believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you.

Blog Entries
    Nevermind, been sold.
    Last edited by Archangel; Tue, 03-06-2012 at 05:12 PM.

Blog Entries
    Ok, new deal

Especificações
    Processador VIA© WM8650 at 1gHz
    Sistema Operativo Google© Android™ 2.3 com ROM modificada para melhor performance
    Ecrã 7" multi toque LCD; 800 x 480 pixels; 16:9
    Multitouch de 2-pontos para Zoom In / Out
    RAM 512MB DDR2
    Memória 4GB memória embutida Cartão SD 2GB
    Extensível até 34GB por cartão MicroSD
    Câmera Webcam 2 megapixel
    Rede WiFi 802.11 b/g
    Entrada rede RJ45 LAN
    Audio Colunas Stereo e microfone embutidos
    Interface I/O Jack para headphone x 1
    2 Porta USB 2.0
    Sensor Gravidade Embutido - 4 direcções
    Bateria 2600 mAh Li-iron (2:30h - 3:00h de utilização reais / cerca de 2h de utilização de internet por WiFi)
    Adaptador corrente 110 ~ 240V input / 9V output.
    Língua Multi-Língua suportado pelo Android™, incluído Português
    Dimensões 199 x 128 x 8~14mm
    Peso 370 gramas

85 euros, sorry for the portuguese details but you should get the gist of it. I'm simply looking for something to stuff my school books and print in, so a good readable screen is a must.

With that in mind my only issue is probably how small the screen is, but from 7 to 10 inches there's a pretty steep price up. I'm also not sure if resolution could be an issue? I just want to be able to read text clearly.

Reminds me of the cheapass Chinese tablet I've tried at work. You won't likely have the Android Market app on it, but I'm sure a pro-pirate such as yourself will hack it in in no time. Because it'd be a huge bother not to have access to it. I've only wasted a few hours on the tablet as it is, but I learned that much soon. Consequently I also learned I will never buy those brandless, cheap Chinese things for my own use. It's impressive how cheap they are, but in the end you will soon learn why they are so cheap.

Blog Entries
    Ok, i have a good feeling about this one

Launch date : February 2011

Hardware
    Dimensions: 269.91mm*170.45mm*14.89mm
    Weight: 720 g
    CPU: Infortm X220 presneted as an ARM11 at 1Ghz
    Memory ROM: 4 Gb Nand Flash (3,74 Gb available for storage)
    Memory RAM: 512 MB DDR2
    Memory slot: 1x microSD / T-flash up to 32Gb
    Webcam: Yes, 1.3 MP (Photo: 1200×1600 & video MP4 640×480, 7fps, sound mono)
    Color display: 10.1” TFT LCD resistive single touch screen
    Resolution: 1024 x 600 pixels
    Battery: Rechargeable battery, 3800mAh
    Power adaptor: 9V
    USB: Yes, 2x USB
    Speaker: Yes, mono
    G sensor: Yes, 4 axes
    GPS: Yes, supplied external GPS
    I/O ports: 2x USB 2.0, mini HDMI, 3.5 mm audio jack, built-in microphone
    Ethernet: Yes, RJ45
    Wireless interface: Wifi 802.11b/g
    3G: Option with 3G USB dongle
    Software
    Operating system: Android 2.2
    Multilingual: Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Spanish, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Chinese
    Browser / email / Chat: Google Chrome browser, MSN, email (Exchange, POP3, IMAP4, Google, Hotmail, Yahoo…)
    Video: AVI, MKV(XVID/px/H.264), MOV, TS, M2TS, RM/RMVB, FLV, 3GP, MPEG, DAT, MP4 up to 1080p
    Music: MP3,WMA,APE,FLAC,OGG,WAV,Frequency response: 20Hz to 20000Hz
    Recording: WAV, WMA
    Photo: JPEG, PNG, BMP, GIF…
    eBook Reader: Yes (to be installed from Android Market)
    Applications: My Pad, Navigateur, e-mail, Music player, Video player, Galerie, Agenda, Calculatrice (RealCalc), magnétophone, appareil photo (webcam), horloge, contacts, Android Market, Gmail, Ethernet settings, Sytem Update, Paramètres, Wifi setings.

140€, seems to have fairly positive reviews for a chinese tablet and the speccs are great. Did i mention i have a good feeling about this one?

Do yourself a favor and get a Blackberry Playbook. Hands down it is the best hardware you can get for the price. It's portable (i take mine EVERYWHERE) has a beautiful screen, great for multitasking, the Print2Go feature is very useful for school, and its cheap. $199 for the 16 GB if i recall correctly.

I wouldnt recommend a cheap Chinese tablet, cuz you'll probably regret it at the end of the day. besides for 140 euros, you mite as well for the the playbook (i dunno what the euro conversion is, but its probably not far off)

When you're looking at cheaper tablets, you really only have a few choices...Playbook, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (good luck finding that) or a few other comparable Android tabs. I dont think there are many that are in the lower price bracket, and i can say for sure the PB beats out any tablet in its price range in terms of hardware specs. Plus if you're using a blackberry, you can bridge your data plan, so you have internet anywhere you go (you can also hotspot, but some carriers charge for that while bridging is always free)

Blog Entries
    My tablet just arrived, i went with the ZENITHINK C91 ZT-280 at around 200 euros. My only previous experience was with the Eee Pad Transformer TF101 which is around twice as much and i gotta tell yah, i'm not disappointed at all.

You guys might want to review your opinions on chinese tablets, there are bargains to be found if you look hard enough.