Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Beating Children/Spanking

Decided to actually take a look at this silly thread. Watched this video:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire View Post
    More parents beating the shit out of their children in the 90s:

...afterwards I felt more inclined to side with with the parents that discipline over the psychologists. Did you watch the video? The parents even tried to give timeouts instead of spanking, and the kids would openly challenge them. It's easy to sit here and be an armchair parent, but honestly I wouldn't have any better advice for the parents. Kids do this. They make it into a game to see how far they can push you and what they can get away with.

Additionally, it's ridiculous to associate spanking with beating the living shit out of a child. Like someone said before in this thread, spankings aren't meant to inflict pain, they're meant to shock or embarrass the child. I've never been hit by a belt by my parents, but I've been threatened with it, and I knew from spankings that it's a possible occurrence, so I stop being a dick. Worked on me.

Anyway, spanking is just a form of conditioning, and its silly to compare conditioning a child to conditioning an adult. A 2 year old is definitely capable of learned behavior from conditioning, regardless of whether or not he/she has the memory capacity. (You can condition behavior in rodents, for christ's sake.)

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire View Post
    -Kid gangbangs
    -Uncle sees
    -Son, I need to talk to you, gangbanging is dangerous, please take care of your life
    -Kid denies it
    -Uncle keeps talking compassionately until a dialogue opens
    -Kid stops gangbanging because he's reasoned out in his head due to talking to a functional reseoning adult
    -Kid is alive now
    Uncle: Son, gangs are bad. Don't consort with gangs or you might die.
    Kid: Holy shit! I had no idea there could be consequences with being affiliated with violent organizations. Thank you for showing me the light, uncle!
    Last edited by Assertn; Wed, 12-21-2011 at 08:47 PM.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

My daughter Rena just turned 3 last month.

While I don't like to encourage using the cane to discipline children, it sometimes seems inevitable, and perhaps more efficient to do so. A large part comes from the culture as well. Asian countries tend to rely on the rod much more freely, as discipline and regimentation still forms the base of the education system.

And personal experience plays a part too. My parents used to cane me, and in hindsight everything worked out fine. I stayed out of trouble, and didn't lose the values taught to me. This thinking also paved the way for me to use a disciplinarian approach when I need to teach Rena.

Granted, I don't like it but the entire process must not just end there. It's harder with the younger ones, but at 3, Rena can understand the rationale of why we need to correct her. If she can understand, for e.g. why it's harzardous to play with electrical switches, there isn't a need to resort to using the cane. If not, the interim "solution" would be to use pain as a demotivator.

I have peers who strongly believe in not using force on children. While I believe it can work, it's still very difficult and depends heavily on the family's background and culture.
    "Our hearts are full of memories but not all of them reflect the truth. The heart isn't a recording device. Even important memories change with time. They warp or fade, leaving us with but a shadow of what we hoped to remember." 天の道を行き、全てを司る。これは僕の世界。

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Thanks for the video Assert'n. I never realised that was what Americans meant by spanking. (Hand to butt, used fairly frequently when you don't want something done.)

Mine in contrast, seemed less frequent (but maybe those were just condensed clips), but much more intimidating and painful. In my cases, elastic materials (the handle of a duster) were used. The point would be to induce pain and then act as a deterrent for repeating the "incriminating" behaviour.

I'm not sure how releated my experiences are though, since I was much older than the children in the video.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Assertn View Post
    It's easy to sit here and be an armchair parent, but honestly I wouldn't have any better advice for the parents. Kids do this. They make it into a game to see how far they can push you and what they can get away with.
    Please describe your experience with children that gives you clearer insight than "armchair parents" (read: actual parents who choose not to hit their children or professionals who deal with troubled children on a daily basis)

Quote Originally Posted by Strawman situation
    Uncle: Son, gangs are bad. Don't consort with gangs or you might die.
    Kid: Holy shit! I had no idea there could be consequences with being affiliated with violent organizations. Thank you for showing me the light, uncle!
    More realistic situation
    Uncle: Son, I TOUGHT YOU BETTER THAN THIS (no actual teaching done, aside from whippings when the kid does something the parent doesn't like)
    Kid: *Dies as a result of his actions and publicly humiliated on the internet*

And to deal with the numerous "it worked on me" posts that have shown up or will show up: I was never punished physically and it worked on me. It's a silly argument and should be left out of the discussion.
    Last edited by XanBcoo; Wed, 12-21-2011 at 09:45 PM.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Quote Originally Posted by XanBcoo View Post
    Please describe your experience with children that gives you clearer insight than "armchair parents" (read: actual parents who choose not to hit their children or professionals who deal with troubled children on a daily basis)
    I did. With this:
    Decided to actually take a look at this silly thread.
    Since I don't have any meaningful experience (along with 90% of the other posters in this thread, I choose not to give opinions on how children need to be raised. Instead, I go with the skeptical empiricism position, and explain how its uninformed to pretend to know a blanket approach will work with all child-rearing situations.

More realistic situation
    Uncle: Son, I TOUGHT YOU BETTER THAN THIS (no actual teaching done, aside from whippings when the kid does something the parent doesn't like)
    Kid: *Dies as a result of his actions and publicly humiliated on the internet*
    In all honesty, there really isn't a way to discipline a 16 year old into not being involved in the corrupt underbelly of society. It would probably come down to what caused him to go that route in the first place (maybe he didn't feel loved by his family?), and then confront it.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Quote Originally Posted by XanBcoo View Post
    And to deal with the numerous "it worked on me" posts that have shown up or will show up: I was never punished physically and it worked on me. It's a silly argument and should be left out of the discussion.
    Well the main argument in this thread is that corporal punishment is all bad, so their evidence that corporal punishment didn't warp them does matter, more so than claims that other forms of discipline also work, which is not in dispute.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Decided to actually take a look at this silly thread.
    This is what my serious posts have earned. Lord, lord, why hast thou forsaken me!

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Since I don't have any meaningful experience (along with 90% of the other posters in this thread, I choose not to give opinions on how children need to be raised. Instead, I go with the skeptical empiricism position, and explain how its uninformed to pretend to know a blanket approach will work with all child-rearing situations.
    What part of the numerous studies on child behavior coming from people who work with troubled children on a daily basis isn't empirical?

In all honesty, there really isn't a way to discipline a 16 year old into not being involved in the corrupt underbelly of society. It would probably come down to what caused him to go that route in the first place (maybe he didn't feel loved by his family?), and then confront it.
    Possibly because they were whipping him on camera?

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs