Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless network issue please help?

Wireless network issue please help?

I'm a complete noob at all this networking stuff so I will try my best to explain,Ok so I'm living in a sleep-out roughly 25 meters away from the main house where the wireless router is located and stationed which is connected to my parents desktop.Here in my sleepout I only get about 1-2 bars of wifi which usually cuts out and then resulting in me not having any internet at all ,ticks me off when I'm trying to download something and then it cut out all of a sudden(waste of bandwidth),anyway you might say get a long etherent cable out there which 1. is quite hard since you cant bury it in soil when its a concrete tiled courtyard to my sleepout and is a bit risky being exposed dangling in the air or prone to rain and that.and 2.I want to connect more than my laptop like my ipod touch and xbox 360 with inbuilt wifi to the internet at once,I don't want to folk out for a wireless range extender as I've heard they aren't the best and a kind of costly seen as I'm paying for everything and I'm just a teenager haha,also none of that poor mans wifi bullshit like making tin can satillites and what not.sooo I have resorted into a cheaper solution like purchasing another wireless router which only has to be pugged into power not a phoneline aswell.WHAT I"M REALLY WANTING TO KNOW IS HOW I WOULD SET THIS UP AND DOES IT REQUIRE THAT BOTH THE WIRELESS ROUTER IN THE MAIN HOUSE BE CONNECTED TO THE ONE I MIGHT PURCHASE TO GET WIFI IN MY ROOM? like do they have to be connected by a freaking long expensive Ethernet cable to be able to set this up please help I'm begging sorry I'm just really tired of not having internet in my room as my dad just says to me it's my problem and that I have to figure it out on my ow.THANK YOU IN ADVANCE I REALLY WANT WIFI IN MY SLEEPOUT

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I have resorted into a cheaper solution like purchasing another wireless router which only has to be pugged into power not a phoneline aswell.
    Okay, from that, it sounds like you're wanting to put a router in your sleepout and use it as a wireless repeater. How much benefit would that be though, if you're already getting shit wireless in the sleepout? If the computer that's dropping out uses a PCI wireless card and sits in the furtherest corner, the it may well provide some benefits if your new router is in a better position (closer, higher or near a a window that provides less blocking).

Wireless repeating and wireless distribution is more available these days on routers, but you'll still have to dig a bit to see if the router supports those functions. My Netgear DG834v3 can do it. In fact, I ebayed it for a similar purpose.. There will be options under some form of Advanced Wireless Setting page to enable repeater modes. I'm not too sure whether you have to match brands these days, since wireless distribution was something that manufacturers had to implement themselves a few years ago - and wasn't standardised. Note that depending on the implementation as well, WEP may be the ONLY encryption method for you wireless.

One little bit of networking technology that slips under the radar from common knowledge is Ethernet-Over-Power. It's a device that uses your internal house wiring to transfer the signal. The basic models have a single ethernet port as an output, while some newer ones have multiple ports or even incorporate a wireless access point so you don't have to buy a separate wireless router to plug into it.

A word of warning though, these things aren't interference-free. If you can find a local retailer to buy from who will let you return these if they don't work out, that would be awesome (and worth the extra money from buying from retail IMO.. unless they only stock the expensive models, lol)

Some things to take note of about ethernet-over-power modems:

-They do not like being plugged into extention cords.
    -They are bulky and will likely make any adjacent mains socket unusuable too due to their size. Use a Y-adapter or find a model that has a mains pass-through to work around this issue.
    -These plugs will not work on powerboards that provide lighting protection. They stuff up the electric signals.
    -Appliances that use a lot of current may render your performance unusable during the use of that appliance. For example, things like microwaves, washing machine or the hot water kettle/iron may degrade it. Degradation depends on how good a signal you had in the first place.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    Okay, from that, it sounds like you're wanting to put a router in your sleepout and use it as a wireless repeater. How much benefit would that be though, if you're already getting shit wireless in the sleepout? If the computer that's dropping out uses a PCI wireless card and sits in the furtherest corner, the it may well provide some benefits if your new router is in a better position (closer, higher or near a a window that provides less blocking).

I do get about three bars of wifi with my laptop sitting like a weirdo in the corner of my sleepout which is indeed next to a big sliding door window so if i got this new wireless router it would make sense to put it there and then I would have full bars all around my room?

Wireless repeating and wireless distribution is more available these days on routers, but you'll still have to dig a bit to see if the router supports those functions. My Netgear DG834v3 can do it. In fact, I ebayed it for a similar purpose.. There will be options under some form of Advanced Wireless Setting page to enable repeater modes. I'm not too sure whether you have to match brands these days, since wireless distribution was something that manufacturers had to implement themselves a few years ago - and wasn't standardised. Note that depending on the implementation as well, WEP may be the ONLY encryption method for you wireless.

this is what I get when I go onto my current wireless router/modem seen as its a hybrid checking to see if it supports repeating think so? repeater mode setup.jpg

One little bit of networking technology that slips under the radar from common knowledge is Ethernet-Over-Power. It's a device that uses your internal house wiring to transfer the signal. The basic models have a single ethernet port as an output, while some newer ones have multiple ports or even incorporate a wireless access point so you don't have to buy a separate wireless router to plug into it.

A word of warning though, these things aren't interference-free. If you can find a local retailer to buy from who will let you return these if they don't work out, that would be awesome (and worth the extra money from buying from retail IMO.. unless they only stock the expensive models, lol)

Some things to take note of about ethernet-over-power modems:

-They do not like being plugged into extention cords.
    -They are bulky and will likely make any adjacent mains socket unusuable too due to their size. Use a Y-adapter or find a model that has a mains pass-through to work around this issue.
    -These plugs will not work on powerboards that provide lighting protection. They stuff up the electric signals.
    -Appliances that use a lot of current may render your performance unusable during the use of that appliance. For example, things like microwaves, washing machine or the hot water kettle/iron may degrade it. Degradation depends on how good a signal you had in the first place.
    checked out these puppies awhile ago they seem like an alright solution but are a little to pricey for my liking and I'm just not to sure about them plus i don't think they sell them here which makes it harder to test and check if they work not be able to take them back if anything goes wrong.btw just if it helps I'll show you a picture of this new wireless router I'm interested in (showing you via picture seen as you probably won't be able to access the website it's like ebay but NZ version (TradeMe) any way
    second router.jpg

it says it can be used as a range extender which is the purpose I want it for the only thing I am worried about though is router compatibility issues whether they both have to be the same brand and also due to the fact that my wireless router in my parents room/main house is both a wireless router and modem in one which again is a NZ only model so you can't get it anywhere else.anyway I found this video which may solve some of my problems like knowing that I might no have to connect both the routers together by ethernet cable ans is possibly what I want to achieve have a geez if you want http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw8qaomfcTg
    kinda cheesy acting but does provide useful information......

I do get about three bars of wifi with my laptop sitting like a weirdo in the corner of my sleepout which is indeed next to a big sliding door window so if i got this new wireless router it would make sense to put it there and then I would have full bars all around my room?
    Yes, your laptop will display the signal strength as full bars since your second router is in the same room as you. Do note that the 2nd router will only get the same "3 bar" signal strength from your 1st router, so performance won't increase.

In fact, with wireless repeating, your performance will decrease by half. But really, connectivity is more of an issue than performance anyway.

This is what I get when I go onto my current wireless router/modem seen as its a hybrid checking to see if it supports repeating think so?
    Set the 1st router in your parents' house to Access Point AND repeater mode. Set the 2nd router in your sleepout to Repeater Only.

I have no idea whether that router you showed in the second pic will work or not. Honestly, no idea. But since you said that your dynalink router can't really be bought anymore, you'll have to take a shot at something anyway.

edit: This product says that it will work with routers that don't have WDS functions. That suggests their normal models' repeater functions will work with other brands as long as they have WDS. (Which you do). Seems like a pretty safe bet for you linked router then. Or pay $11 more for surefire success. Your choice.

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 THANKS for the quick reply I really hope this will work properly it doesn't seem like that much of a money waster if it doesn't work $54.00 I feel abit more assured now that I know abit about it.It's a bit of a disappointment having the bandwidth slowed down but hey atleast if I try this I might have strong connectivity which is what I want fingers crossed if I purchase this router most likely tomorrow morning(technically 4hrs pretty much seen as it's 1.35am in the morning hehehe)that there is no compatibility issues really appreciate the advice big thanks!!!! if only there were more people like!

---------------------------------

Yes, your laptop will display the signal strength as full bars since your second router is in the same room as you. Do note that the 2nd router will only get the same "3 bar" signal strength from your 1st router, so performance won't increase.

In fact, with wireless repeating, your performance will decrease by half. But really, connectivity is more of an issue than performance anyway.

Set the 1st router in your parents' house to Access Point AND repeater mode. Set the 2nd router in your sleepout to Repeater Only.

I have no idea whether that router you showed in the second pic will work or not. Honestly, no idea. But since you said that your dynalink router can't really be bought anymore, you'll have to take a shot at something anyway.

edit: This product says that it will work with routers that don't have WDS functions. That suggests their normal models' repeater functions will work with other brands as long as they have WDS. (Which you do). Seems like a pretty safe bet for you linked router then. Or pay $11 more for surefire success. Your choice.
    what the heck I posted just before but its disaapeared odd anyway yea I might deeply consider purchasing the wireless router in a couple of hours/morning lol fingers crossed no issues with both routers being different brands and what was the option that was $11 more?
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Mon, 12-12-2011 at 08:42 AM.

Yeah, filter flagged the post as requiring moderation. First false positive I've seen in a long time (if at all)..

Anyway, approved and merged.

just ended up buying the wireless router the one in the photo of the earlier post shipping should take a couple of days I'll post again if everything goes well.hopefully not another money waster.....
    thanks for all the help again

No problem.

On a related note, I just installed some 9dbi directional antanaes from ebay to replace the 2db omnidirectional ones that came with my router so that the routers can beam the wireless signal to each other better. Playing with them was a bit of a pain (though not exactly difficult) since they didn't come with instructions. That is, I had to work out in which direction the antennaes are actually supposed to work..

So that's all done now.. hopefully the issue will be fixed. Mine's an intermittent issue so it's not as easy to diagnose or see the results.

No problem.

On a related note, I just installed some 9dbi directional antanaes from ebay to replace the 2db omnidirectional ones that came with my router so that the routers can beam the wireless signal to each other better. Playing with them was a bit of a pain (though not exactly difficult) since they didn't come with instructions. That is, I had to work out in which direction the antennaes are actually supposed to work..

So that's all done now.. hopefully the issue will be fixed. Mine's an intermittent issue so it's not as easy to diagnose or see the results.
    that's good but how does the problem persist when it seems to be fixed???

Anyway received the wireless router today amazingly fast shipping bought it yesterday received in a day when usually It should take up to a week.T

ried plugging it in even though it came with a software and said you should install first but I figured I'm not really setting up a new network I'm connecting to the one we already have.

Ok set mum and dads router to repeater base station (in photo above ^) um what you have to do is put in the mac address of the wireless router I just bought.done save changes.turn off mum and dads router put Ethernet into new wireless router.

instead of typing in my parents wireless router/modems IP address which usually is 192.168.1.1 ,I have to type in the address bar tplinklogin.net first time it works username admin password admin (default) next sense I'm not to familiar with the interface I went to something like wireless settings?

then changed the SSID?or network name to the same as my parents network but changed the last digits 02 the parents network name was ending with 01 so allgood

I saw a box that said something like enable wds or something which when I ticked popped up bridge mode options which said to enter mac address like repeater mode but doing the repeater only thing so entered the mac address of my mum and dads router worked thank god saved changes.

said for changes to take effect reboot router gave me a button that could reboot router,showed the rebooting progress 10%90% etc done......then came up with the network done in the task bar connected then said I had limited access no internet access tried messing with the network properties don't know how I got it working diagnostics or some sh*t?so yea happy that I got the internet working unplugged laptop and router went from living room to my sleep out set it up full bars all around my room sooooo happy tested youtube video loaded pretty quick for having half connection speed?

Anyhow I noticed the network is unsecured so I went to wifi signal in task bar clicked went on the new network right click,status,details,wireless properties,Ipv4 address said something like 192.168.1.3 pinged that into address bar says (google chrome) oops Google cannot find tried different web browser doesn't work then I remembered try what I did when I first logged in tplinklogin.net doest work takes me to a random as site that doesn't even exist but I think this could be because when I first went on the site it said which county do you live in already had united states but I had to manually type in New Zealand It worked when it was us but not when its nz so I don't know really whats going on there?

Reset router back at ground zero did everything again this time left it at location US this time it works but after went to security typed a password saved but still it says unsecured shut down just to make changes make effect but when restart still unsecured and now every time after changing any router setting a single digit starts being added onto my network name which is weird?????

After staring into the abyss of my sleep out I had to get ready for work so restarted router shut down computer and tried to take my mind off things which didn't really to be honest I'm stuck indoors because of this torrential rain..........

Finished work now writing this sitting in my sleepout router in its box as if I never got it and on 2bars of wifi never knowing if it's going to cut out like a ticking time bomb and delete this never ending sorrow post I really don't have a clue what to do can you help me I can provide some screen shots or take some photos of the router and box with a camera honestly why is my life this difficult.......................
    Last edited by NaRuTo001; Wed, 12-14-2011 at 05:41 AM.

Random Rabble

It's funny how coincidences work. I was at the gym and randomly remembered that there may be some stuff you didn't know about adding a second router to a network as a forwarding device (since I was so caught up on the wireless side of it), and thought I'd mention it when I got back.

Came here, and saw your post. hah.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Regarding your post...

Alright, down to business.

Firstly, I'm having a bit of trouble reading your stream of consciousness. A little paragraphing would help heaps if you could do it.

From the first part of your post you seem to say that your setup works fine. You could youtube and everything. The only thing was that the wireless network was unsecured, right?

If so, then I've stated above that the wireless network may not have encryption, (or may be limited to WEP). I'm honestly not sure if you can fix this.

But disregarding all that, the next section details some of the settings should be done (because they make sense) when you want to set up a repeating router like your case. I would recommend that you follow it through first to see how things work out.

---------------------------------------------------

Settings section

The following changes should be made to your Master Router (Note that during these steps you may disrupt the wireless connectivity in your home. Do these steps when it's convenient. Also, perform these steps with an Ethernet cable attached to the respective routers you're changing.

-Disable the wireless password and set the wireless to Unsecured or Unencrypted then log out. Wireless devices will now not work in your house at this stage.
    -Set the router to "Access Point and Wireless Repeater Function"
    -Manually add the details of your repeater in the table. Read the MAC Address off the bottom of your repeater router. If asked for the IP address of the repeater, enter 192.168.1.99
    -Log out.
    -Unplug ethernet

The following changes should be made to your New/Repeater Router
    -Do a factory reset on the new router to get it back to its original settings.
    -Plug in ethernet cable
    -Change the router's default LAN IP to 192.168.1.99 <- this will be the new IP that you use to log in to the router with via the web interface. NOTE that after changing the router's IP, you may will have trouble reconnecting, or even loading the confirmation page. Log back in to the router using the new IP as the url.

-Disable the DHCP Server ability on the router. This will cause your routers to fight. Only the Master Router should have this setting activated.

Note that after disabling the DHCP server, you may have trouble connecting back to the router. This problem can occur if your computer somehow dropped its assigned IP address before the change. To work around this problem, open up your network adapter through the settings if your computer and assign it:

A static IP: 192.168.1.2
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    DNS: 192.168.1.1

-Continuing on with the settings, go into the Wireless Distribution part of the new router now and select "Repeater Only", enter the MAC address of the Master Router etc etc. IMPORTANT: configure the SSID (also known as network name) of the wireless network so that it is exactly the same as your parents'. Ensure there is no encryption and that all the wireless settings match between the Master and the Repeater. Match up your area of residence if possible
    -Log off
    -If you performed the step involving changing your computer's adapter from an Automatic IP to Static IP, change all those settings back now.

At this stage, configuration is mostly complete. The next stages will test if the wireless repeating is working.

-Turn off both routers.
    -Unplug the ethernet cable from the PC that is still connected to the Repeating Router.
    -Move the routers into the same room if you have not already done so to
    -Turn on the Master Router
    -After 1-2 minutes, turn on the Repeater Router
    -After 1-2 minutes, plug in a computer to the Repeater Router via ethernet. NOTE: If you are using a laptop for this step, DISABLE the wireless adapter. We only want an ethernet connection.
    -Test for internet connectivity on the computer.
    -If Internet connectivity is achieved, the routers are connected and communicating with each other.
    -If Internet connectivity fails - perform the following: (Windows Start Button > Search > type "cmd" > run the program > type "ping 192.168.1.1"

If the test reports 100% packet loss, then the routers are not communicating. If the test reports 0% packet loss, the routers are communicating, but is not allowing you to connect to the internet for some reason

If Internet Connectivity is achieved, Turn off the Repeater Router and bring it to your sleepout. Plug in a computer via ethernet again with network adapters disabled and check for internet connectivity again. This time we are checking for wireless reliability/connectivity at that range.

-If all goes well, then this time we'll use your laptop to check if wireless packet forwarding works.
    -Unplug the computer that is connected via ethernet to the Repeater Modem.
    -Turn on your laptop and search for the wireless network in your home.
    -If there are two with the same name and SSID, choose the one with the higher signal.
    -Connect and check for internet connectivity

If you are successful, this means that you have successfully set up your routers to repeat your wireless signal.

At this stage, the wireless network is unsecured. Now we will gradually introduce encryption to see if it is compatible with your routers.

Introducing Wireless Encryption.

-Log into the Master Router. (Performing this from a direct ethernet connection is best, unless you know what you are doing)
    -Go into the wireless setting and select the encryption type to WEP
    -Set a password that is easy to remember and hard to get wrong. We will need to use this in the other router.

-Log into the Repeater Router using an ethernet cable (and again, disable the wireless on the laptop if that's what you're using), and log into the repeater router. If you are having trouble doing this, change your computer to use a static IP again as detailed previously.
    -Change the wireless security settings (WEP and password) to match the Master Router. Save the setting.

Attempt to connect to the wireless network (and unplug any ethernet adapters that are plugged into the laptop). You may need to scan for a new network. See if the wireless signal visible has any encryption, and continue to check for internet connectivity.

If the wireless signal has no encryption, or refuses to work, it is likely that encryption is not supported for your router models.

If encryption and internet connectivity works, it means WEP encryption is supported on your network.

Repeat the above steps for Introducing Wireless Encryption and use WPA or WPA2 instead of WEP if you wish to try for a mroe secure encryption method.

If WPA doesn't work, roll back to WEP. If WEP didn't work, you will have to use an unsecured network.

When you have found your preferred level of encryption that works, change the password to a "better" password, and apply that setting to all other routers/devices in your house.

If you still have any machines that are configured to using a static IP, change it back to automatic. (Personally I use static IPs just for the heck of it, but that's up to you.)

*Enter HUGE sigh here*... I think that just about covers it?
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Wed, 12-14-2011 at 07:42 AM. Reason: fixed an IP typo.

hehe sorry for the unbelievably hard to read non paragraphed post before my mum saw the post and even told me off for not having any paragraphs so I went back and paragraphed it all even though there's no point I just had to

Yup that should cover it I'm really sorry for bugging you with all my problems you should charge people for this information you know it's so generous of u to take the time and help me out.

I will try this out tomorrow hopefully all goes well I will examine every step intricately I would do it know but I don't wont to get the router and laptop wet running in the rain at night from my sleepout to main house + parents have gone to bed and the router/modems in there room.so I will do what you say even though just before I almost got it working secured but just no internet accesses.

I must admit though this interface seems alot more challenging than the master router/modem
    TPlinkrouter properties.jpg

thanks again and again will try to get back to you tomorrow to see how it goes night XD

Just to be sure, can you show me a screencap of the "status" page of the dynalink before you start?

edit:

that's good but how does the problem persist when it seems to be fixed???
    Well, it "appears to be fixed" because I'm getting a pretty damn good throughput. File transfer is around 2.70MB/s, which is pretty much the real-world max throughput you can hope to expect.

My normal antanae could almost match that speed too, but the problem is when the connection randomly goes to shit and puts out 200 or even 100KB/s. Sometimes changing the channel fixes that, but then the problem will come back again, and yet another channel change will fix that again. It's a very weird problem, but the wireless topology of my area hadn't changed the entire time..
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Wed, 12-14-2011 at 08:24 AM.

Jesus I just went outside this morning and my house has flooded with all this rain we're having http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOrenv0am4w alittle bit off topic there anyway here's a picture of my parents modem/routers status or the dynalink status

Well, it "appears to be fixed" because I'm getting a pretty damn good throughput. File transfer is around 2.70MB/s, which is pretty much the real-world max throughput you can hope to expect.

My normal antanae could almost match that speed too, but the problem is when the connection randomly goes to shit and puts out 200 or even 100KB/s.

thats so fast my connection speed or download speed for anything direct download only gets up to 200kbps fastest and 100kbps downwards on average whenever I download torrents only then do I see something like 2mbps I know it can be to do with where you download from like servers such as megaupload restrict download speeds but still I have tried alot of websites that haven't got any speed restrictions and still only getting 80-102kbps wish I had your internet speed......
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Wed, 12-14-2011 at 09:24 PM.

Just to be sure, can you show me a screencap of the "status" page of the dynalink before you start
    is there something important I should know before I start or?hopefully I'm not giving to much information away through posting a picture of my internet status hope I can't get hacked or something haha just getting a little paranoid.

Quote Originally Posted by NaRuTo001 View Post
    is there something important I should know before I start or?hopefully I'm not giving to much information away through posting a picture of my internet status hope I can't get hacked or something haha just getting a little paranoid.
    Nah, the only thing that was really important on there to get you hacked would have been your IP. But if your ISP gives you a dynamic IP then it changes all the time anyway. And frankly, it's more about how your router deals with attacks more so than keeping your IP secret (because it's not that hard to get it if you actually tried). Visit https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 if you really are paranoid and want to see how your home router reacts to attacks.

I deleted the pic anyway now.

On the topic of internet speed, your LINE is actually faster than mine. You've got a theoretical download maximum of 1375KB/s, and an upload in excess of 100KB/s. It might be your wireless signal throughput that's holding your back, or some torrent settings.

When this is all done, to check the wireless throughput, just connect one computer via ethernet to the Master Router (when this is all setup) and connect your laptop wirelessly to your Repeater. After that, just transfer a file from one computer to another and read the transfer speed. It'll give you a good indication.

Note that before I was talking about the maximum transfer speed of my wireless devices. My actual internet speed is much lower than that. Around 600-700KB/s download, and up to perhaps 80KB/s upload.

ok thanks I'm going to possibly try all of this out later on tonight maybe unplug my parents router/modem and just do it all in the living room once everyone's gone to bed through my laptop to make things easier.

Really are you saying that I am getting offered 1375KB/s download speed I never see any of the files I have downloaded in my life reach such great speeds oh well cheers off to work soon be able to make a start around 10.00pm but if I'm too tired I'll leave things till tomorrow.

on an extra note is there anyway if I stuff this process up that I permanently stuff my entire internet??? Dads not liking the idea to much but I said I won't stuff up haha......

Quote Originally Posted by NaRuTo001 View Post
    ok thanks I'm going to possibly try all of this out later on tonight maybe unplug my parents router/modem and just do it all in the living room once everyone's gone to bed through my laptop to make things easier.

Really are you saying that I am getting offered 1375KB/s download speed I never see any of the files I have downloaded in my life reach such great speeds oh well cheers off to work soon be able to make a start around 10.00pm but if I'm too tired I'll leave things till tomorrow.

on an extra note is there anyway if I stuff this process up that I permanently stuff my entire internet??? Dads not liking the idea to much but I said I won't stuff up haha......
    Log into your master router and look for the part that lets you save the settings to your computer as some sort of file (possibly an ini or cfg file, but it doesn't matter). If you end up stuffing something up, you can just reset the router, log back in and upload the settings again. If you want to be really thorough, you can also jot down all the settings on each page manually.. just in case the recovery file doesn't set everything back 100%.

Note that after a factory reset though, the master router may default back to the factory password and login details... or it may not. If you customised the login/password details, just try them both if one does not work.

I'll let you know, that we're not changing anything on the master router that will affect its internet connectivity. The above steps only deal with how it uses its wireless features. If you get stuck or something, you can always get online via an ethernet cable.

got up to the Disabling the DHCP server thing and got abit confused and stuck with the whole/ open up your network adapter through the settings if your computer and assign it:

I don't really have a clue how to do this so I skipped it.Did that cmd test =packet loss 100%
    sorry really tired just turned master router back on and am posting this for help. Another thing which makes this process really complicated is when I go down into task bar click on wireless icon showing all the wireless networks it always goes like this I won't use our network name so hypothetical network name for eg:

if our main network name was lets say bob01
    when I changed the ssid or network name of the repeater router to bob01 it won't show that where the wireless networks are shown instead it would be like the master router bob01 then all these random networks which can't be connected to like bob02 3,bob02 3 4,bob02 3 4 5 and so forth getting really complicated second chancing this.
    If I can't fix anyof this I will restore the main routers config file to original settings then maybe have to decide to get a tech head to come in to my house and set this all up for me I was hoping more money was going to unnecessary but if I have to I have to lol anyway just thought you would like to know how fail I'm doing?????........

EDIT: oh and atm our netowork is unsecured so hopefully no neighbours are getting there bandwith downloading porn?FBI documents?

got up to the Disabling the DHCP server thing and got abit confused and stuck with the whole/ open up your network adapter through the settings if your computer and assign it:

I don't really have a clue how to do this so I skipped it.
    That part is under:

Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections > click your connection > Properties > IPv4 > Properties

Hmm.. do the ping test again, but this time instead of typing "ping 192.168.1.1", type "ping 192.168.1.99"

Neighbours using your wireless? It's... possible. I don't know how many users browse around every night to see if they can leech any free downloads though.. generally it only happens when someone gets a new wireless device.. If you're REALLY worried, you can just turn off the Master when it's not in use..

Also.. go to:

Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections > click your connection > Status > details

give us a screenshot of what's shown there.. (the information won't get you hacked)

edit: regarding this part

if our main network name was lets say bob01
    when I changed the ssid or network name of the repeater router to bob01 it won't show that where the wireless networks are shown instead it would be like the master router bob01 then all these random networks which can't be connected to like bob02 3,bob02 3 4,bob02 3 4 5 and so forth getting really complicated second chancing this.
    I'm not understanding what you're actually looking at.. - or even if I get a picture of what's happening...
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Thu, 12-15-2011 at 06:18 AM.

ok its morning now still haven't fixed it and I can't and don't think that I even had local ethernet connection to the internet last night so I may have been doing everything wirelessly this is what I am getting with my local connection cannot even connect
    local internet status.jpg
    ok that and I got up to the cmd test bit last night I recieved the 0% thing this time so I thought why is it not connecting when i the test results are showing that the two routers were communicating so I don't know what to do you see I keep getting stuck at ground zero having to go back to master router secure it then start all again.*sigh*networking seems hard for me*sigh*
    packet loss 0%.jpg