Thread: Lower the rep requirement for custom titles

Lower the rep requirement for custom titles

Given the current state of the forums, I believe that the reputation requirement for custom titles should be substantially lowered. There honestly is a limited number of members that can actually rep others, much less put the above-average member above the threshold for a custom title.

Put it to something like at least one full, dark green bar of rep (using the rep system in use on 1/31/12). That should be more than sufficient for a user to have earned the right to a title of their choice. That puts them well within the top 100 registered (active or otherwise) members of the forums, of which we have over 2500.

Lower it to zero. Is the world going to explode because someone can register and immediately make their title Weedlord 420?

I agree with Y.

I've been waiting for mine since 2008.

Yeah let's make it reg date based. I've got 10 and a half years on my timecard.

Quote Originally Posted by Y View Post
    Lower it to zero. Is the world going to explode because someone can register and immediately make their title Weedlord 420?
    Think of the children!!!

I'm ok with removing the custom title reputation requirement. However, I'd also like those who have previously earned it to have the option to alter our handle. I want my name in NEON PURPLE.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    However, I'd also like those who have previously earned it to have the option to alter our handle. I want my name in NEON PURPLE.
    That's not going to happen. The staff won't be held liable for inevitable cases of eye cancer it would cause.

However, the limits to the basic custom title are now under consideration (and not only today).

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    HTML titles are a bit of a security risk (ie you could inject arbitrary code into the page), so must be admin-set. It'd be neat if bbcode were an option, but it isn't. Also, eye cancer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by complich8 View Post
    HTML titles are a bit of a security risk (ie you could inject arbitrary code into the page), so must be admin-set. It'd be neat if bbcode were an option, but it isn't. Also, eye cancer.
    /me gazes upon the red italic username

You bastard...

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    /me gazes upon the red italic username

You bastard...
    That's what I'm on about. Even Kraco has a custom username, so it's peculiar that the two guys with custom usernames want to keep the rest of us out of the club... for shame!

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Are you really that retarded? The red username indicates ADMIN status....
    -----------------

Quote Originally Posted by darkshadow View Post
    Are you really that retarded? The red username indicates ADMIN status....
    No, but evidently you are. The point is, color usernames aren't that big an eyesore. It's not the eyesore that 99% of your posts are anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    No, but evidently you are. The point is, color usernames aren't that big an eyesore. It's not the eyesore that 99% of your posts are anyway.
    Apart from clearly revealing admins (which is quite a common practice universally, and which isn't so close to my heart to be honest, since keeping order isn't such a huge ordeal here), I'd be more worried about the inevitable cases of people writing their titles with each letter of a different colour. That's what you call an eyesore.

In the end the red of admins also fits the Gotwoot colour theme.

Adjustments to the plain custom title qualification will happen quite soon. If there's still somebody left to benefit from such a change...

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    Apart from clearly revealing admins (which is quite a common practice universally, and which isn't so close to my heart to be honest, since keeping order isn't such a huge ordeal here), I'd be more worried about the inevitable cases of people writing their titles with each letter of a different colour. That's what you call an eyesore.

In the end the red of admins also fits the Gotwoot colour theme.

Adjustments to the plain custom title qualification will happen quite soon. If there's still somebody left to benefit from such a change...
    Y is still notably left. Village drunk is my suggestion.
    ___
    ---------------------------- "THE DROPOUT CREW"--------------------------------
    ________Deblas, IfingHateTonTon, RyougaZell, dragonrage.________

________ we may fuck up alot but we always pull thru.

I dont want the requirement to change, I finally feel like the 1%!

Quote Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
    I dont want the requirement to change, I finally feel like the 1%!
    You've had your custom rep for years now, "finally" is kind of a stretch.

I do think it should be earned though, but since less and less people are regularly on the forums and even far less are repping, and you need to rep 20 people (if i remember correctly) before you can rep the same person again, it makes it difficult for almost anyone current or starting from scratch to get close to the level needed.

I think age should play a major factor, posts count and quality of posts (loosely defined by the repping system already). Also that 20 person cycle should be reduced or done away with.
    ___
    ---------------------------- "THE DROPOUT CREW"--------------------------------
    ________Deblas, IfingHateTonTon, RyougaZell, dragonrage.________

________ we may fuck up alot but we always pull thru.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drage
    I do think it should be earned though, but since less and less people are regularly on the forums and even far less are repping, and you need to rep 20 people (if i remember correctly) before you can rep the same person again, it makes it difficult for almost anyone current or starting from scratch to get close to the level needed.
    You need to rep 10-11 to rep someone again. You have a daily rep limit of 13.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    Age, post count, and rep score are the three contributing factors to rep power. The only contributing factors to that.

There is no straightforward way to algorithmic ally gauge someone's post quality. At least, not without throwing a text mining interface into the mix. Not worth it. Use rep score as a proxy for quality of the poster.

I don't remember the spread and rate params, but I vaguely remember loosening them recently...

Got one. I'll be changing this shit every week. Also now I obviously don't care about removing the rep requirement.

Just kidding. It's still kind of onerous. Thanks for the rep though.