Thread: Search

Blog Entries

Search

Is there any way to set the default search on the top of the website to search by title and not post content?

I would like to know this aswell, and if it's not possible it really should be implemented.

I can't recall a single time i've had the need to search for something that wasn't in the title..

"Always be yourself... unless you suck."

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Are you guys talking about setting it on a personal user level, or implementing it as a default across all users?

I don't like the search function much since it's useless. Even if I want to find the post instead of the thread, when it does find the post it takes me to the actual thread instead of the post anyway. Or maybe I just don't know how to use it.

The quickest way I search gotwoot is to type this into my search bar at the top-right of my browser -

site:forums.gotwoot.net Enter Search Word Here

It picks up titles first, then posts. Works for non-flamepit threads.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

I like it the way it is. It gives you a broader search and greater access to info regarding your search topic. Also you never know what you might come across. Isn't it more fun that way.

They are saying that if you typing in the word "berserk" it gives you every single thing the word "berserk" is located in, whether it be a thread title or post.

Also if you already know what you're looking for, it really isn't that hard or much work to locate it with the current search function.
    ___
    ---------------------------- "THE DROPOUT CREW"--------------------------------
    ________Deblas, IfingHateTonTon, RyougaZell, dragonrage.________

________ we may fuck up alot but we always pull thru.

Quote Originally Posted by Drage
    They are saying that if you typing in the word "berserk" it gives you every single thing the word "berserk" is located in, whether it be a thread title or post.
    Yeah, I know that. What I was asking is whether they're asking to see if we could change that setting on a system-wide scale so that every forum user must search threads as a default, or whether they want some per-user setting in their control panel that will let them change the default search scope.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    Yeah, I know that. What I was asking is whether they're asking to see if we could change that setting on a system-wide scale so that every forum user must search threads as a default, or whether they want some per-user setting in their control panel that will let them change the default search scope.
    Obviously a per user setting would be ideal. If not, then a default setting since this is already mostly useless.

If possible i'd also get rid of the "Word is too small/common to be looked up" feature, i think it's pretty retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    Obviously a per user setting would be ideal. If not, then a default setting since this is already mostly useless.
    I'd imagine per-user to be pretty much impossible, which is why I asked to see if they (you?) would go so far as to want to set it as a forum default for everyone else included. That may have a higher possibility of success, but the admins will have to check from their side.

Same with the character limit on the word.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    This all has to do with how vbulletin implements searches. Not much I can do about defaults there.

Right now my minimum search length is 3, but vbulletin search automatically exits without searching at all if you try to search for a hard-coded list of about 550 words they consider extremely common. Here's a sample of that list:

'actually',
    'after',
    'afterwards',
    'again',
    'against',
    'aint',
    'all',
    'allow',
    'allows',
    'almost',
    'alone',
    'along',
    'already',
    'also',
    'although',
    'always',
    'am',
    'among',
    'amongst',
    'an',
    'and',
    'another',
    'any',
    I could override any of those with "good words" that would be included even if they're on the list, but ... searching is still probably not going to be useful on those words...

Blog Entries
    Then suggest something man, the search function is a fucking pain to use >_>

Can't you replace it with one of those custom google engines?

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    I'll look into it... but not today.

Blog Entries
    Today...?