Page 13 of 73 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: Sword Art Online

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Y
    The murderer guild in a previous episode was flagged orange despite red being the killer color, so yeah, it's definitely possible that someone could get blamed for a murder they didn't commit.
    Your crime status goes away with time.

I just think Asuna was creeped out from being stalked. I'm bigger and stronger than cockroaches and spiders. I still get creeped out by them.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post

I just think Asuna was creeped out from being stalked. I'm bigger and stronger than cockroaches and spiders. I still get creeped out by them.
    Good reminder. It looks like Kirito confirmed that in episode 4 when he confronted Rosalia on the bridge.

I'm glad they got back to Vol 1. Finally some good action and Gleam Eyes looks impressive.

The head of the PK guild with his blue scar/tattoo makes another appearance. We might see more shenanigans with his guild soon. If it's like some of the motards I've seen in MMOs then an ambush at the most inopportune time is in order.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitokiri View Post
    Good reminder. It looks like Kirito confirmed that in episode 4 when he confronted Rosalia on the bridge.

I'm glad they got back to Vol 1. Finally some good action and Gleam Eyes looks impressive.

The head of the PK guild with his blue scar/tattoo makes another appearance. We might see more shenanigans with his guild soon. If it's like some of the motards I've seen in MMOs then an ambush at the most inopportune time is in order.
    Ah, so that's who he was. I didn't recognise the tattoo (though the way it was shown means it had to be significant somehow), and could only guess from the hood. I remember we were talking last time in this thread about the PK guild being weak and shuffling away when stronger members came. If this guy's comfortable sitting around on the top(?) floor, they can't be that weak. Perhaps they don't do well when placed in direct combat, like a classical assassin.

I know. That's what I was saying.

It's nice to see an episode that feels like part of a larger continuity finally but it's not so nice to see people acting out of character and yet more little details that seemingly don't fit together but make the plot move. What bugged me this time was the notion that a) Asuna could know that she'd maxed out the cooking skill, which I took to mean she had achieved the highest possible level of cooking skill in the game and b) that she's managed to max out any skill only 3/4 through the game content. For a) it's possible the game tells you how far you can possibly go in a skill which is fine but isn't the impression I got about how skills worked. However the implications of b) are what I found really foreboding.

If they're only on floor 74 or whatever and two years in and she's completely maxed out a skill, especially one that she probably only uses a few times a day at most since she learned that butter tastes good in game what does that say about the level at which all skills cap compared to the maximum levels the content has. She wasn't likely the first to max cooking as there are likely non combatant chefs who cook all day every day who would have leveled the skill much faster. If she has indeed maxed it out, then that implies the front line fighters who must use their weapon skills dozens or hundreds of times per day should be nearing a similar limit. How much longer will it be before the people at the front lines can't get any better due to the restrictions of the game and what are they going to do if the creatures continue to get more powerful and hard to beat as they continue to climb. At the very least partying will become more and more of a requirement for anyone to move ahead in game. But if there are 25 more levels of difficulty and people are starting to run out of room to grow that's a rather large gap to cover.

On the other hand, given the history of the show I'm rather more willing to believe it was a line thrown in b/c it sounded good and gave Asuna an excuse to be involved with the rabbit meat and have a dayto with Kirito and that the author didn't really think about the implications of Asuna to have hit a level cap on any skill at this point in the game. It also occured to me that she could have meant she had achieved the highest possible cooking skill for her current level which I could attribute to a translation error/awkwardness but with all the other examples of shaky continuity I am more inclined to believe it was an accurate translation of a poorly thought out line in the source material.

I have little to add about Asuna's behavior with respect to her 'guard' beyond that it was rather informative about the true nature of her character. I found it telling that she eventually stood up to him and used the authority she had all along to dismiss him but initially acted like a scared little girl in his presence, especially once I thought about what happend before her personality shift. Kirito, who Asuna feels comfortable around, dueled her guard him and demonstrated in no uncertain terms that he was superior him, only then did Asuna have the confidence in her authority over her guard to actually use it. This came off to me as a glaring sign that for all her skill and levels and tsuntsun personality Asuna is cut from the the same highly refined moeblob cloth as any other 'strong' anime girl. No matter how tough she is she still needs someone to protect her from the big scary world for her to actually shine, which of course means she can never shine brighter than the patron who allows her to come out of her shell. I hope we get a chance to see her guild master as his character and the relationship she has with him should be telling as to whether I'm right or not but it already looks like she'll be teaming up with Kirito who provides her with exactly what she needs to continue keeping up the facade that she's a strong, confident, independent woman, a man to depend on.

Assuming one can't max out fighting skills by using the worst rusty sword against some pesky critter from the lower levels, repeated infinitely, it would make sense one can't max out a cooking skill by only making simple food over and over. In that sense it would have been a better detail if Asuna had rather almost maxed it out and gained one level immediately by making the whatever rabbit stew. That is, maxing it out would need a bunch of extremely rare ingredients, and maxing out fighting skills would require fighting monsters from the high levels towards the top. But yeah, considering what Y has said about the origins of this story, I believe the author doesn't really bother to hone every detail, far from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukimura View Post
    What bugged me this time was the notion that a) Asuna could know that she'd maxed out the cooking skill, which I took to mean she had achieved the highest possible level of cooking skill in the game and b) that she's managed to max out any skill only 3/4 through the game content. For a) it's possible the game tells you how far you can possibly go in a skill which is fine but isn't the impression I got about how skills worked. However the implications of b) are what I found really foreboding.

If they're only on floor 74 or whatever and two years in and she's completely maxed out a skill, especially one that she probably only uses a few times a day at most since she learned that butter tastes good in game what does that say about the level at which all skills cap compared to the maximum levels the content has.
    I don't know, maybe it's just me but I've played plenty of games where I learned all the skills I could before I got to the end game part of it. For example I have a level 30 (max 70) character in an MMO that have high enough sword equipment level to equip max level swords, my character level is far from able to equip and use it but not my equipment level. Hitting max level in a particular skill/equipment doesn't equal no more room to grow just that it's about using the skills you've learned and getting better gear, if the skill damage is % damage based on your attack then every attack skill grows with your equipment. Then again we don't know enough about the system to really know.
    Might be remembering wrong but most MMO you usually get a lot of experience when crafting, more than your character level. You also need to consider that when cooking it could involve several steps each going to leveling up the skill. And there's nothing saying she only does it a few times a day, since they're just virtual then they should be able to eat as much as they want so maybe she cooks an enormous amount of food since she can just keep eating.
    Last edited by fireheart; Mon, 08-27-2012 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Fixing grammer
    You are here alone again
    In your sweet insanity
    All too calm, you hide yourself from reality
    Do you call it solitude? Do you call it liberty?
    When all the world turns away to leave you lonely

I know. That's what I was saying.
    So you're saying that in order to frame Kirito, someone is going to murder another person, they wait days (or even weeks?) before announcing it so it'd be plausible for Kirito to be the culprit? That could work, but it assumes Kirito has not seen anybody during those days and has nobody to prove his green status up until the announcement.

It would be a pretty boring death game if you could just completely over-level all of the content.
    The characters are in the high 80's level-wise at this point, maybe even 90, so I don't see it being that unbelievable that they could start maxing out skills.

The skill system is explained in the novel (vol 1, ch5 is basically the first half of the episode that just aired and explains how skills/levels relate). I don't know if stuff like that is considered a spoiler, so you can go read just that chapter if you're curious, or I can just tell you.

You know I distinctly remember wondering what levels the characters were up to in this episode and looking around at the menu screens for an indication but not finding one. Since an upstanding forum member like yourself certainly wouldn't be spoiling from the novels I'm sure, could you point me to the approximate time stamp where Kirito's or Asuna's levels in the latest ep were shown so I could confirm their levels for myself by watching the anime episode again?

Edit - Less anti novelfag angst more reasoned inquiry.
    Last edited by Yukimura; Tue, 08-28-2012 at 02:59 PM.

So you're saying that in order to frame Kirito, someone is going to murder another person, they wait days (or even weeks?) before announcing it so it'd be plausible for Kirito to be the culprit? That could work, but it assumes Kirito has not seen anybody during those days and has nobody to prove his green status up until the announcement.
    Quite frankly I just assumed that "the guild is going to kill someone and frame Kirito and Asuna" was a novel spoiler disguised as speculation and was theorizing how it could come about. And yes, Kirito's loner nature and reputation would certainly contribute to such a hypothetical frame-job.

It's nice to see...
    In two years I'd certainly hope you would max out Cooking skill. Even the grindiest MMO surely doesn't require you to do that much. The comment about her not knowing how butter tastes is pretty retarded in any sense but it's just a little throwaway line.

I have little to add about Asuna's behavior....
    An absolutely excellent indictment of the misogyny inherent in these kind of stereotypical anime girls.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMoogles View Post
    It would be a pretty boring death game if you could just completely over-level all of the content.
    The characters are in the high 80's level-wise at this point, maybe even 90, so I don't see it being that unbelievable that they could start maxing out skills.

The skill system is explained in the novel (vol 1, ch5 is basically the first half of the episode that just aired and explains how skills/levels relate). I don't know if stuff like that is considered a spoiler, so you can go read just that chapter if you're curious, or I can just tell you.
    You obviously have no problem with spoilers since you revealed some in your first paragraph, but no thanks. Maybe you can stick to the super special no criticism thread you simpering idiots got for yourselves in the book forum.
    Last edited by Y; Tue, 08-28-2012 at 12:43 PM.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    I wonder how my hypothesis of the two lovers being framed for killing the useless bodyguard would be a spoiler as I didn't read the novels and did not spoil myself either.

On a totally different subject, I think it's possible time in SAO is actually faster than in the real world. Like those 2 years the players really did feel as 2 years, are in fact 2 hours (or 2 days) in the real world. Now combined with the idea that the brain frying is bullshit and players can't check the truths that were told them... The newsline for the first deaths could also all be forged.

Accelerating the ingame time by 365 or 365*24=8760 times would certainly help the creator having all traped players getting where he wants them to be before they die of dehydration if there's in fact no one to take care of their bodies.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

A brain is a brain. I don't see how you could accelerate a human's processing speed that much beyond what evolution gave us by external means. Maybe the perception of time a little bit, but that wouldn't really help significantly in the long run as I reckon many would notice before long if you tried to shorten a day by more than a few hours.

Dreams are a perfect example of the very real existence of "accelerated" human processing power. Relative hours can pass, and upon waking, only minutes have.

If the related series in the same setting is any indication, it's certainly possible. However, I don't think that is the case here. Unless the creator is very skillful at faking news reports that he showed all the players in the first episode, this is happening in real enough time that the deaths are very real, and the general public is very aware of what happened to the batch of 10,000 hostages.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    A brain is a brain. I don't see how you could accelerate a human's processing speed that much beyond what evolution gave us by external means. Maybe the perception of time a little bit, but that wouldn't really help significantly in the long run as I reckon many would notice before long if you tried to shorten a day by more than a few hours.
    I don't see how you could create a full virtual reality sensoral environment through the power of microwave radiation but it's happening in this show.

That being said I agree with Ryllharu, it doesn't appear as though this time is simulated.

I doubt I've ever experienced a dream that seemed to cover a long time in any significant detail yet in absolute time was over in minutes. It's true dreams often enough do cover longer times, but they are jumpy or lacking the kind of detail SAO requires. Like you can watch a long movie in five minutes by jumping scenes.

Although they do have so many time jumps in this show that if they weren't there only for the audience, then you are absolutely correct.

The point is that the body is only so fast, and lags behind the brain. Dreams are an easy example. Another would be the thousand thoughts that blast through your mind in the moments before a car crash (or similar event), or even the dozens of imagined scenarios one goes through while choosing the appropriate icebreaker when socializing with someone at a party.

A person's reflexes can be quite good, but nevertheless, the brain operates at electrochemical speeds. Milliseconds.

For all we know, time could be compressed, but the minimal evidence we have to work on suggests otherwise. Once these folks get out, they are going to have horrible muscle atrophy, and probably require months if not years of physical therapy.

You know I distinctly remember wondering what levels the characters were up to in this episode and looking around at the menu screens for an indication but not finding one. Since an upstanding forum member like yourself certainly wouldn't be spoiling from the novels I'm sure, could you point me to the approximate time stamp where Kirito's or Asuna's levels in the latest ep were shown so I could confirm their levels for myself by watching the anime episode again?

Edit - Less anti novelfag angst more reasoned inquiry.
    Episode 4, 19:30, Kirito says he is 78. That is in February. Episode 8 is in October. I was extrapolating. The numbers I picked are actually based on speculation, since they don't even explicitly state the level numbers in the novel very much. You know they keep a pretty high level safety margin, higher than the floor they're on for sure, based on everything that has been shown. They're on 74, so the average clearer is probably higher than that. In addition, Asuna speculates Kirito is ~10 levels higher than Kuradeel, another person from her uber guild. That puts him in the high 80's to 90 range.

I guess I should have said "The characters are probably" instead of "The characters are" to indicate speculation, but it seemed like it would be obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Quote
    Dreams are a perfect example of the very real existence of "accelerated" human processing power. Relative hours can pass, and upon waking, only minutes have.
    I agree with Kraco in that regard. I don't think dreams are compressed really. I thought it was the case that we jump all over the place in dreams which makes it feel as if they went faster.

Quite frankly I just assumed that "the guild is going to kill someone and frame Kirito and Asuna" was a novel spoiler disguised as speculation and was theorizing how it could come about. And yes, Kirito's loner nature and reputation would certainly contribute to such a hypothetical frame-job.
    I don't think that would work if you're trying to frame Kirito with doing something as bad as killing, then spreading word that they were the murderers but are now appearing green because it happened XX days ago.

The first thing that comes to mind before you even go back to check their past status is Why are you only reporting it now?

People would notice Asuna missing in a matter of hours.
    She's high profile guild management - no way people are gonna wait days to ask questions especially if she vanishes from the friend list