Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Psycho-Pass

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryll
    I might be intrigued if it turns out the reason that Akane's hue and crime coefficient recovers so fast because she is exactly the same as the other two, one of the 1 in 2 million who can't properly be read
    I've always thought she was an asymptomatic ever since they commented that her psycho-pass is always surprisingly clear. I don't expect to he abuse that and go vigilante on the other asymptomatic who can't be judged by Sybil, but that would be cool.

As for the lady explaining shit, it makes complete sense for her to do so. Every young person there has grown up believing Sybil to be completely right. You can't skimp on the details if you're going to tell them that when the system fails (and it does sometimes), human judgement comes into play.

I remember a quote from somewhere that said:

"What goes around, comes around - whether that's true or not doesn't matter. What does matter is that people believe it's true."

Quote Originally Posted by Ark
    But it doesn't seem to be the same as Shougo either, his actually became more clear the more violent he became.
    I have reservations regarding that interpretation. Shougo's CC went down with each measurement, which coincided with his increasing violence - but I do not think it's necessarily causal. Shougo even said that no matter what he did, his Psycho-pass was always pure white. Based off that, my question would be "What made his PP rise in the first place?". My alternative hypothesis is that his CC was normalising to zero, rather than being driven down to zero via violence.

PS: I didn't see the Masaoka twist coming. I thought that was cool.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    As for the lady explaining shit, it makes complete sense for her to do so. Every young person there has grown up believing Sybil to be completely right. You can't skimp on the details if you're going to tell them that when the system fails (and it does sometimes), human judgement comes into play.
    The problem is that she explained the entire scenario, immediately after it happened, leaving no room to slowly dole it out over several episodes, continuing the mystery and keeping viewers engaged. What we got instead was a cheap excuse. I'm not even going to get into the faults behind, "yeah...sometimes the system just doesn't work," plot point in lieu of a well developed reason that meshes with the setting/premise.

It felt more like, "The viewers didn't understand it, might as well explain it..." but given the long production lead times that animation entails, it is far more likely that the writer just had no clue how to reveal it slowly or with any kind of build up. More like they didn't even try. Flat out exposition is more of an intro or post-climax/conclusion sort of thing. When it is thrown into the middle of mystery/procedural story like this, it conveys weakness on a part of the author's ability.

Given that the prominence of the writer is a large part of the hype behind this series, Urobuchi Gen (Fate/Zero and Nitro+ games) fails pretty hard here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post

It felt more like, "The viewers didn't understand it, might as well explain it..." but given the long production lead times that animation entails, it is far more likely that the writer just had no clue how to reveal it slowly or with any kind of build up. More like they didn't even try. Flat out exposition is more of an intro or post-climax/conclusion sort of thing. When it is thrown into the middle of mystery/procedural story like this, it conveys weakness on a part of the author's ability.
    It's a Production IG thing, I would give it the benefit of the doubt just a bit longer before pointing out weaknesses. That studio deserves that in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Inazuma View Post
    It's a Production IG thing, I would give it the benefit of the doubt just a bit longer before pointing out weaknesses. That studio deserves that in my eyes.
    No one is privileged to be above criticism. If they can recover, great, if not, they deserved harsh words.

And the quality and ability of the studio doesn't have a lot to do with the writer, unless they are in-house. Urobuchi Gen (the writer) isn't. The director has a fair amount of sway, but failings in the story ultimately fall on the writers. Even then, considering the two directors have either not directed anime before (chief director) or worked on Blood-C (director)...

I think my criticism is very well placed.

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    I don't mean to champion the show as perfect (it's not), but I felt that the explanation was warranted and proper. I never saw this show as a mystery/procedural but maybe as a thriller/character piece. I'm not sure how you could take an established fact (Sibyl doesn't work right on everyone) and stretch that out or tease about it in any meaningful way now that it has been slapped across the viewer's faces. Instead of teasing about a bag who's cat has long vacated, it seems best for the story to set itself up for the next step of the investigative process.

I might get on board with Ryll if and only if the show fails to produce any interesting plot points and situations now that it has set aside the potential of exploring the 'what's wrong with Sybil' line of investigation. I don't see following that particular story as necessary to the shows overall success but I do think it could have been quite sufficient if handled well. If that story is what one was hoping for out of the show to tackle then I can see why they would be disappointed in this eps content. However, until the whole show is done I don't think we'll have a full idea of what the overall points being made are or what their merits might be. I've seen enough to give the show the benefit of the doubt for that it will be worth the ride, but only time will tell.
    Last edited by Yukimura; Wed, 01-23-2013 at 12:57 AM.

Realistically speaking, in a situation like the woman getting beaten to death in the middle of a busy street, the government or Sibyl manufacturer would likely need to pay millions to the family of the victim to silence them. They can't anymore gag it easily with so many witnesses and uploaded videos if the relatives took it to the authorities, or if that failed, to the media. If they were paid silent, then it could theoretically be brushed aside as a stunt or something.

I hope that will be somehow addressed in the following eps, unless it becomes a moot point with Makishima orchestrating multiple such incidences all over the place and the whole country naturally losing faith in Sybil. Should that happen, we ought to see the military patrolling the streets, since the cops are largely no good, and I reckon too few.

" I recommend you receive mental care. "

Oh that cracked me up.

Blog Entries
    At least now we know what the deal was with the helmet guy from the first episode, though his looked more advanced.

Don't future cops even have the right to use regular guns anymore? Couldn't they at least bring some knives or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    Don't future cops even have the right to use regular guns anymore? Couldn't they at least bring some knives or something?
    They do possess stun batons that require no other situation than an inspector's request. We saw Akane being able to give Kogami one in the beginning of the hunter arc. However, I have a feeling only a portion of the cops would be any good with one, only the likes of Kogami who train themselves. But then again, I doubt most criminals would be good fighters either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ark
    Future cops are latent criminals. The only reason they're let out is because they can be shot in the back at any time. You don't give someone like that a gun that shoots bullets.

Kraco: I'm expecting people to riot just as Makishima plans it to. These public demonstrations are supposed to do that.

Kraco: I'm expecting people to riot just as Makishima plans it to. These public demonstrations are supposed to do that.
    As they should! The riots should be nation-wide as well, since the situation is the same everywhere and the country is so well networked that what one knows, everybody will soon know. I very much doubt there are enough police officers to do anything about riots, and the robots used be the police don't look worth much in anything but advicing people and looking stupid. They'll have to bring in the army if they want to do something about violent crowds.

Having the intention of rioting against society should raise your CC enough to be tazed, no?

If that was the case, robots won't be useless. If the masks to circulated around it would be troublesome. Then we also have to deal with whatever it is that Makishima stole in that truck.

Having the intention of rioting against society should raise your CC enough to be tazed, no?

If that was the case, robots won't be useless.
    Hmm... The robots can taze people?

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    Hmm... The robots can taze people?
    I don't remember they can

Quote Originally Posted by Inazuma View Post
    I don't remember they can
    They can't? Wtf are the drones for then?!

Blog Entries
    Future cops are latent criminals. The only reason they're let out is because they can be shot in the back at any time. You don't give someone like that a gun that shoots bullets.

I didn't mean the enforcers, i meant the actual cops like Akame and Gin.

Blog Entries
    Uroboshi seriously has no faith in humanity, it's like we're all just dynamite waiting for someone to light up the fuse.