Thread: Wi-fi extender setup

Wi-fi extender setup

I just got a Western Digital My Net Wi-Fi range extender and cannot get it to work with my Belkin N150 Wireless router. I must have spent about 2 hours getting it to work to no avail. I tried using the WPS buttons on both, tried doing it manually (entering the password for the network directly into the extender and entering the PIN numbers). For some reason the extender will not broadcast or it will fail to connect. Any tips?

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I take it that this didn't work then?

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/.../130/p/403,452

Older routers didn't have universal wireless distribution (I'm not sure if they do 100% these days either) between brands.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Yea, that didn't work. It was the first thing it went to.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rockmanj View Post
    Yea, that didn't work. It was the first thing it went to.
    Does the Extender see your existing wifi network?

Also make sure that the extender isn't configured in AP mode rather than Extender mode (assuming you're using wifi-extender).

If it can't see the existing network, check to see if the country/location is right. Sometimes frequencies are made available/unavailable depending on what country you live in.

The Extender also can't do 5Ghz and 2.4GHz simultaneously, it has to choose one or the other. See if that setting is correct.

Also check out the Belkin under advanced wireless settings to see if anything needs to be changed to accommodate for the additional repeater.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    Does the Extender see your existing wifi network?

Also make sure that the extender isn't configured in AP mode rather than Extender mode (assuming you're using wifi-extender).

If it can't see the existing network, check to see if the country/location is right. Sometimes frequencies are made available/unavailable depending on what country you live in.

The Extender also can't do 5Ghz and 2.4GHz simultaneously, it has to choose one or the other. See if that setting is correct.

Also check out the Belkin under advanced wireless settings to see if anything needs to be changed to accommodate for the additional repeater.
    Thanks for the input...yea. I have checked all that and it does see the network and both are set to 2.4 GHz. I went to the Belkin settings, made sue WPS was on and that the SSID is being broadcast. I might have to give it another crack when I get home...it is driving me mad.

I got it fixed...it looks like the extender I bought was busted. I got a different one and it works fine.