Thread: One Piece Episode 623

One Piece Episode 623

Episode 623 - HS

- - - - ---- -

Only the last minutes of this episode were worth watching. Even Tashigi couldn't make me watch the bulk of it without skipping. I'd rather take several months of pure filler (that I could skip entirely, should I want to) than "canon" episodes composed of 15 mins of filler and then a few minutes of the real stuff. This makes me think the manga can't be far ahead at all, so I suppose a long filler arc is inevitable in any case. A bit hard to see them running a filler arc with Law still hanging around, so maybe they will drop him off first, if the manga allows.

In any case I have a feeling Law didn't go through all this trouble just to get Doflamingo's shichibukai status removed and his heart back, although even those things can be quite significant. Maybe he's trying to simply trick Doflamingo with this deal he's offering. But on the other hand if Doflamingo is an important supplier to Kaido, it's possible weakening Kaido by removing that support is the real goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    Episode 623 - HS

- - - - ---- -

Only the last minutes of this episode were worth watching. Even Tashigi couldn't make me watch the bulk of it without skipping. I'd rather take several months of pure filler (that I could skip entirely, should I want to) than "canon" episodes composed of 15 mins of filler and then a few minutes of the real stuff. This makes me think the manga can't be far ahead at all, so I suppose a long filler arc is inevitable in any case. A bit hard to see them running a filler arc with Law still hanging around, so maybe they will drop him off first, if the manga allows.
    Hate to break it to you, but none of that was filler. It just feels much longer in anime form. They're trying to maintain a 1:1 chapter/episode ratio, which generally means everything needs to play out at 50% speed. Regardless, at this point I'm pretty much expecting a filler arc. The manga is not nearly far enough ahead, and as it is Oda takes a lot of breaks.

In any case I have a feeling Law didn't go through all this trouble just to get Doflamingo's shichibukai status removed and his heart back, although even those things can be quite significant. Maybe he's trying to simply trick Doflamingo with this deal he's offering. But on the other hand if Doflamingo is an important supplier to Kaido, it's possible weakening Kaido by removing that support is the real goal.
    We already know his end goal is to take out Kaidou, so its definitely something more like that. Seeing Doflamingo get pissed off for the first time feels pretty good, though.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Quote Originally Posted by Assertn View Post
    Hate to break it to you, but none of that was filler. It just feels much longer in anime form. They're trying to maintain a 1:1 chapter/episode ratio, which generally means everything needs to play out at 50% speed.
    Technically it must be so, but in practice there's little difference between stretching meaningless manga scenes or coming up with entirely new scenes. Something like that should have been over in five mins max. That's why I took a shortcut and simply called it filler. Even a manga scene stretched witlessly in essentially filling space. Anime and manga are so different media some things naturally take more space/time in one, less in the other. Thus when you force it, it becomes a nightmare like this ep.

This is definitely a part of the formula at this point. The Strawhats have a big party at the end of the arc, meanwhile, a couple of characters have vague shadowy conversations that actually give you information about what's really going on in the world. It's happened like a half a dozen times now, and it's when I've come to expect all of the cool reveals to happen.

Anyway, I really love that Luffy is just planning to defeat all of the Four Emperors. He even plans to beat Shanks, just not as the first one. I wonder if someone planted the idea in his head that it's something he'd have to do to become the Pirate King.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    That's why I took a shortcut and simply called it filler.
    "Padded out" is probably a better way to put it, what with the term "filler" having specific connotations when it comes to anime.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    This is definitely a part of the formula at this point. The Strawhats have a big party at the end of the arc, meanwhile, a couple of characters have vague shadowy conversations that actually give you information about what's really going on in the world.
    Yeah, that's okay. But the party already took the whole previous episode. Except for the last jolly minutes of Law and Doflamingo chatting, we had already seen all the meaningful conversations as well, save for a couple of lines they cut out of the previous ep to be able to have the same conversations again in this episode lenghtened with the extra lines.

Such a meaningless debate anyway. But it illustrates well how little content this ep had.

So Baby 5's headless, but totally alive body is sitting on a boat with Sanji eh...

I feel like it's a cop-out that these two characters aren't interacting because Oda realizes what would happen if they did.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    So Baby 5's headless, but totally alive body is sitting on a boat with Sanji eh...

I feel like it's a cop-out that these two characters aren't interacting because Oda realizes what would happen if they did.
    Hah hah. Yeah. Sanji would definitely need her.

And because of her personality quirk, things would get crazy pretty fast.