Thread: One Piece Episode 638

One Piece Episode 638

[HorribleSubs] One Piece - 638 - 1080p | 720p | 480p
    Last edited by DarthEnderX; Sun, 03-30-2014 at 01:08 PM.

I imagine that barrier won't do much good against haki, but since the dude can move it freely, it has quite a few uses.

It was either Bellamy or Bartolomeo who was going to win, but I suppose, in retrospect, it wasn't going to be Bellamy since he was already a loser from the past. Bartolomeo got some foreshadowing with the scenes of him we got before the match began. Who is he working for, though?

At first, I thought a fruit power was too obvious an explanation. Especially when Bellamy thought that's what it was. My guess was that Bartolomeo was using some kind of Impact/Reject Dial.

But nope. Just a fruit. Seemed like he was reflecting damage at first, but I guess the damage to the fishman and Bellamy was just their own momentum against the barrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    I imagine that barrier won't do much good against haki, but since the dude can move it freely, it has quite a few uses.

It was either Bellamy or Bartolomeo who was going to win, but I suppose, in retrospect, it wasn't going to be Bellamy since he was already a loser from the past. Bartolomeo got some foreshadowing with the scenes of him we got before the match began. Who is he working for, though?
    Hey losers from the past can climb back up, too. Just look at Buggy.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Actually, I'm not so sure Haki WOULD work against that barrier.

Haki lets you hurt someone that otherwise wouldn't take damage, but you still actually have to hit their body with it.

If the barrier prevents the person from being able to get to you, I don't see how you'd be able to hurt them with Haki.

Half the time Bartolomeo apparently just covered his skin with it since nobody noticed a thing. Are you saying even in that case haki wouldn't help? If it helped, then erecting a fully separate barrier would make no difference. If it didn't, then I'd say haki performs quite unpredictably. I tend to think it sort of nullifies all fruit powers on contact, thus allowing physical damage to act like it normally would. In this barrier's case, an attack using haki would simply pass through as if it was empty air.

I tend to think it sort of nullifies all fruit powers on contact, thus allowing physical damage to act like it normally would.
    I don't think that's the case at all.

I think Armament Haki simply allows a person to strike a person's "spirit" as well as their physical body. So that if your physical body is immune to physical damage for some reason, you can still be hurt by it.

I haven't seen any evidence that it actually turns off fruit powers the way Sea Stone or the Dark Fruit does.

I imagine a haki user may be able to penetrate the barrier, but it depends on the strength of Bartolomeo's barrier vs the haki user's haki. It's not like the barrier suddenly becomes paper in the presence of haki. That would be like Luffy being able to just flick a hole in Monet's snow prison with haki on his finger.

However, Bartolomeo's barrier has to be pretty damn strong to effortlessly absorb an attack that would kill a Yonkou.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Awesome user with default custom title UChessmaster's Avatar
    Considering the king`s punch is supposed to be strong enough to one shot a younkou and yet it didn`t make a dent on the wall, I`d say haki is probably useless.
    You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful. -Marie Curie

Of course, I don't know how anyone would have formed that rumor in the first place.

Has it ever been used on an Emperor? Are people just assuming that an Emperor is exactly as tough as a fort?

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    Of course, I don't know how anyone would have formed that rumor in the first place.

Has it ever been used on an Emperor? Are people just assuming that an Emperor is exactly as tough as a fort?
    The rumour was obviously coming from that backstabbing, villainous tactician, so it could be 100% lies for all we know. In any case the damage it caused before the barrier stopped it didn't give an impression of a most devastating attack. I'd say it was at least 80% lies. It wouldn't have stopped an Emperor (even if we ignore the fact no Emperor would have had patience to sit still until the dude was done charging his ridiculous power attack).

Yeah, I have no idea how the king intended to win the tournament. After these free-for-all rounds were over, how did he expect to win the later rounds without people blocking for him for 10min?

Jounin
    Isn't Law & Smoker vs Vergo a perfect example how haki nullifies fruit powers? But it also comes down to how strong the haki is. If the haki isn't strong enough it can't nullify. Both smoker and Law was dominated completely. And only Law's last attack that was strong enough to slice the entire base and mountain managed to finally hurt Vergo. And that is how i always imagined haki to work. I have a hard time to believe Garp and Shanks and others like them that has duked it out with the strongest of them wouldn't be able to nullify most of the fruit damage and effects.

Quote Originally Posted by TwisT View Post
    Isn't Law & Smoker vs Vergo a perfect example how haki nullifies fruit powers?
    No, it's a perfect example of the exact opposite.

Despite the fact that Vergo was covered in Haki, Law's fruit power cut right through him(and it was his fruit power, not his Haki, because otherwise Vergo would be dead). Because Haki doesn't nullify fruit powers. If it did, Law wouldn't have been able to use his on Vergo while he had his Haki up.

I'm not even sure why this is a debate. Robin has straight up said Haki doesn't negate a fruit user's powers.
    Last edited by DarthEnderX; Tue, 04-01-2014 at 04:42 PM.

The rumour was obviously coming from that backstabbing, villainous tactician, so it could be 100% lies for all we know. In any case the damage it caused before the barrier stopped it didn't give an impression of a most devastating attack. I'd say it was at least 80% lies. It wouldn't have stopped an Emperor (even if we ignore the fact no Emperor would have had patience to sit still until the dude was done charging his ridiculous power attack).
    Wasn`t it basically a monologue though? Why would the guy lie to himself? Considering they advertised the punch for like... two episodes as the ultimate attack. I`m guessing it didn`t look too impressive because of the animation budget or whatever, I`m willing to accept a punch like that can defeat a Younkou (assuming they receive a direct hit somehow), simply because the guy had zero reason to lie, not to mention spectators were also aware of the punch`s strength.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX
    Yeah, I have no idea how the king intended to win the tournament. After these free-for-all rounds were over, how did he expect to win the later rounds without people blocking for him for 10min?
    Charge it during the grace period (while block C and D are fighting), then go to a corner and release it with all its might, I think the question would be why he didn`t charge it beforehand.
    You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful. -Marie Curie

Quote Originally Posted by UChessmaster View Post
    Wasn`t it basically a monologue though? Why would the guy lie to himself?
    I don't know where they heard it, but I thought the announcer and people in the audience repeated the same thing in this episode though. So it's apparently a commonly held belief for some reason.

Obviously the tactician was betting, and has been betting, his own fortunes on the king's success, so it makes sense he'd believe his own lies as well. Naturally it's just a petty person boosting his own ego, since in practice it would amount to little with such an absurd warm up time. No wonder they were trying to get Ace's fruit. It would have granted them real power with practical applications.

since in practice it would amount to little with such an absurd warm up time.
    Well, to be fair, a tournament is literally, like, the worst scenario for that kind of power.

In something more akin to an actual war, that ability would still be amazing. If you'd put that guy in the middle of the Whitebeard War, assuming it IS as devastating as rumored, a power like that could have a lot of practical use.

I mean, it DID defeat everyone it actually hit. So if can actually do that on people much stronger, it has plenty of applications. You just need to use it tactically.

Obviously the tactician was betting, and has been betting, his own fortunes on the king's success, so it makes sense he'd believe his own lies as well.
    And what about EVERYONE else that knew about it?