Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin (OAV)

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar

Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin (OAV)

Alternative title:
    Kidō Senshi Gundam: The Origin
    機動戦士ガンダム THE ORIGIN

Genres: action, drama, science fiction
    Themes: mecha, politics, real robot

Quote Originally Posted by MAL
    The four-episode project will tell the story of Casval Rem Deikun and Artesia Som Deikun (Char and Sayla, before Char became known as the Red Comet) before the One-Year War in UC.0068.
    Read more at http://myanimelist.net/anime/10937/M...hUFoFEkA8Is.99
    Links: ANN, AniDB, MAL, Official

Download: HorribleSubs - Episode 01 480p | 720p | 1080p

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Mobile Suit Gundam - The Origin

I'm no A class topic starter.
    However - for those who wants to understand the story of the Gundam UC with good quality animation. Check out the rest below.

Also, this is going to be one of those Gundams where it's all about the story, the politics and the fights.

You don't get naked bullshit in space, nutshell cracking open in character eyes, shrill voices coming from uncessary robots/pets and most of all, what solves fights isn't the magical power of love and understanding. It's violence, I wouldn't call lifelike, but let just say that you have a Gundam OVA here by someone who loves House of Cards.
    Backstabbing, political plays, dirty powermoves and as always, there's going to be good people on both sides and a fair share of sacrificial lambs.

At the helm :
    Yoshikazu Yasuhiko
    Takashi Imanishi
    Fully Internal Sunrise prod
    More info

Enjoy : 3

is this a good entry point, if you donīt know a whole lot about gundam? Ive only watched Gundam Build Fighters.

The first fictional loli that made me fall for her

Perfect, I watched a lot more Gundam than you then, but still had many problems having a clear picture of what the fuck the protagonist were fighting about in the very beginning. ( I guess mostly due, to my Anime veterancy, I landed smack in the middle of Hypercommercial gundam phase 04' to 11' )

This explains it well, even for a first episode and this is maybe the best world building that came out of Sunrise in the last 20 years lol.

I'm kind of surprised this got moved to Gundam, but GBF didn't. Weird.

Episode 1 was enjoyable, but I was kind of surprised by the comedy. MSG had bits of comedy in it too, but looking at all the previews for this, I was under the impression that this was going to be super serious, super dark look at the events leading up to the One Year War. Also, Still, the animation is amazing, and it's interesting to see more of UC's past.

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    is this a good entry point, if you donīt know a whole lot about gundam? Ive only watched Gundam Build Fighters.
    Eh, based on just this one episode I would say no. It depends on how the future episodes turn out, and who knows how long it will take to churn those out. Gundam Unicorn took years to complete.

Sorry mods.

Let the Char hype train restart it's engines

Well that was full of feels. I agree with Vejita that the comedy was ample, but that's probably required to balance the tragedy. The contrast makes you feel all that much worse for the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by vejita613 View Post
    Eh, based on just this one episode I would say no. It depends on how the future episodes turn out, and who knows how long it will take to churn those out. Gundam Unicorn took years to complete.
    I have watched relatively little Gundam, and none of the really old ones, but I'd say this did quite good job. There was nothing not to understand, unless it was the political factions, but perhaps there's no need to look into those too deeply. After all, it's just factions/clans/families vying for supremacy. What's there not to understand? No doubt the second episode will already see how the Earth vs Colonies conflict will reach the critical point politically because there was little more than protesting civilians in this episode. Earth was still pretty much in total military control. I suppose Char, now moving to Earth, will drop much of the internal faction thinking and concentrate on the bigger picture of Colonies vs Earth.

It's funny to watch this because very often the character designs are so similar to Ghibli's, that is, a bit goofy. Yet there's heavy action and death left and right. In that sense this is exceptional in its old-schoolishness compared to many random Gundam shows adopting a modern character design. Shows like Unicorn and Reconguista are sort of at a halfway point between this style and a fully modern style (like in 00 or obviously the Builds).

I must say that I liked this episode. It has some annoying downsides, but those are short and not breaking the experience.
    Char's backstory is nice as a base for the OVA, since it shows the base for his hatred for the Zabi family.

The downsides, I have to say the CG. The quality is like watching a cutscene in a gundam game. Compared to Unicorn it's shameful.
    The other part that kinda bugged me was that both Casval and Artesia are wáy too mature for their age, although for a gundam series, that isn't a rarity. It just seemed a bit too over the top

The story and non-cg parts were beautiful and really made it look 'old meets new', unlike G no Reconquista...
    The backstabbing and manipulation were great, as were the appearance of very important people in the 0079 series.

Horriblesubs - Episode 02

1080p
    720p
    480p

Quite a fine episode in my opinion, even if Bill didn't think much of it. For once I was also happy there was a recap in the beginning. I wouldn't have remembered a bunch of people otherwise.

Since I haven't watched any of the old Gundams (yes, none at all), this is all new stuff for me. To the point I got confused by there being both Casval and Char. I thought they are the same person. Real Gundam fans are free to laugh at me. I expect something will happen to the real Char, and Casval will start to use that name for convenience. Another interesting thing was the very beginning of mobile suits.

Artesia's horse was funny. It was like a creature from some Disney cartoon suddenly inserted into a Gundam movie. Poor Artesia, though. I hope she will soon find something she needs to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    Since I haven't watched any of the old Gundams (yes, none at all), this is all new stuff for me. To the point I got confused by there being both Casval and Char. I thought they are the same person. Real Gundam fans are free to laugh at me. I expect something will happen to the real Char, and Casval will start to use that name for convenience. Another interesting thing was the very beginning of mobile suits.
    Honestly, that was never part of the original Gundam story. It is something that is only revealed in Origins.

Overall, a much better episode than the first I think. Starting to show a lot more of the darker tones that UC is known for. Artesia screaming all the time is a bit annoying though.

Also, I feel like I missed a few things. Like, what happened to her cat? Why did it get sick and die suddenly? Did it drink some of that spilled ink or something and I missed it?

Quote Originally Posted by vejita613 View Post
    Also, I feel like I missed a few things. Like, what happened to her cat? Why did it get sick and die suddenly? Did it drink some of that spilled ink or something and I missed it?
    I think it was merely used to represent the passing of many years since the beginning (die of old age) and to underline how Artesia was left behind and alone. I don't recall it being tied to the mother, so dying at around the same time wouldn't seem to mean much as such. Maybe if there's some symbolism, it's that light dies and darkness reigns, but I don't really look for symbolism here.

The cat died of old age. The mother died from... illness and abandonment/sadness/neglect.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    Quite a fine episode in my opinion, even if Bill didn't think much of it.
    I certainly didn't think much of it until after just finishing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    I expect something will happen to the real Char, and Casval will start to use that name for convenience.
    I think that too. What I can't decide on is whether Casval would kill Char to do it.

Also, Casval using his Red Comet voice can get weird at times. That's a voice of someone with insight and experience (or we we've been accustomed to). Using the same one for a Casval who is still fluctuating is off (just like keeping Goku's DB voice in DBZ+).

I can only imagine that the VA couldn't pull off a convincingly younger version.

Episode 3 - HS

- - -- - - - -

A strong episode indeed. There's pretty much nothing I wouldn't have liked here. Char is really establishing himself as the robot cold manipulator with high charisma. It's funny the Zabi family are all satisfied with themselves imagining their needlessly brutal and wasteful way of getting rid of one person was an incredible success, while in reality Char is right in the middle of them building his own plots and using the Zabi clan members however he wants to. It is quite resfreshing to watch the rise of a villain, well, relatively speaking considering there seems to be a bad shortage of decent people with power in this world's setting.

The lower tech battles and fights were damn nice to watch. I usually find things to complain about in anime battles, but I can't say I'd have been bothered by anything here. The tank crew member sticking his head out might not have been overly smart or professional, but it was certainly depicted so that the Federation soldiers were always looking down on the Colony cadets, thinking them nothing much, and on the other hand the Federation folks themselves actually weren't that professional in the first place. They had never had a real enemy and were always fighting against civilians or some pesky rebels with no equipment or tactics to speak of. So, how could they be real pros?

In the next ep we ought to see the combat mobile suits in action, I imagine, and more of Char's brilliant tactics. Or at least I hope so. It would be a pity if there are no more tactics and the mobile suits will simply destroy the enemy at leisure.

I feel sorry for Artesia, though, all the time.

I have nothing but admiration for Char at this point. He uses everything to his advantage. Luck would have it that the Zabi fawn was incompetent and "old friend" was a fanatic who trusted him.

They're doing a marvelous job of this Origin story, when inclined to think his character was simply designed on a whim initially.

Episode 4 - HS

- -- - -- -

So much for more Char plotting. He didn't really need to do overly much in this episode. I doubt anything that happened were really initiated or planned by him this time, aside from the tiny things back on Earth. The Zabi really rose to power and Char hitched a free ride to the top. It remains to be seen how much he feels he needs to achieve still before he's ready to get rid of the last of his enemies. It should still require a couple of really good plots.

Gundam appeared, as well, even if in nothing but blueprints.

Episode 05 - HS

-------------------------------------------------

Damn cliffhangers.