Thread: My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    There are two major problems with this series:

1) Its characters do not leave an impression at all.
    2) Not a damn thing happens.

As the events of the previous season were flashing by, all I could think was, "Damn, I don't remember any of this." I watched the previous season when it aired. Compare that to DRRR's intro last season and despite a five year gap I was able to remember it all. This was two years ago. I didn't really "get" this series then then. I still don't now.

I can barely tell you the names of the main characters. Strike that, I actually can't remember any of them. I have no idea who any of the supporting characters are (except for Hachiman obviously being gay for the trap). I try to remember who any of these people are, what their personalities are, whether or not the main trio helped them out before, and nothing registers. I know the one girl is cold, the other girl is a friendly ditz, and Hachiman is...like kind of an asshole, but secretly lonely and kind-hearted but...doesn't know how?

The first season left absolutely no impression on me. At all. There's a good chance I could tell you what series the girls were from if shown an image, but I still can't tell you their names. I only remember Hachiman because Arch mentioned it in IRC.

Furthermore, I couldn't tell you what the hell kind of character development happened last season. As far as I remember, it ended the way it began. Twelve episodes of basically nothing happening. They might have helped people, but I don't remember who they were or if they are part of the supporting cast. I know there was a sticker added to the door sign each episode. That's it.

Which continued here. You could condense this entire episode into 5 minutes and there would be no appreciable difference. The last 3 minutes were really the only time that anything even occurred.

There are better series out there that are like this, and they do a better job of it. Somehow...this is super popular, but I just don't really get it. Nothing happens, and nothing about any of the characters stand out. It's tough to even call it slice of life, because the characters end the same way they start.

I just can't see myself following this for an entire second season. I keep hearing how other people think it is great, but I simply don't see the appeal.

I will give it the requisite two more episodes, then probably just drop it.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Fri, 04-03-2015 at 02:07 PM.