Page 51 of 65 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1288

Thread: Boku no Hero Academia

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    S5 E1:

Well, it's not like I expected anything else than that.
    But at least we got to see something cool at the end.
    The blue-fire dude from that villain group is a badass.

Why are we in season 50300302 and still need to watch these characters receive school lesson? :/

Sigh, I wish I could just drop this series, but somehow I'm incapable of it, like a gambler who's lost too much money and thinks he can win it back if he just keeps playing. Like that ever works out ;>

Hoping that the story gets going quickly.

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    Why are we in season 50300302 and still need to watch these characters receive school lesson? :/
    My Hero Academia

Why are we in season 50300302 and still need to watch these characters receive school lesson?
    Watching them do school is more fun than them fighting yakuza.

I liked the "tournament" stuff. But the usual school-drills are pretty boring in comparison. I liked the yakuza arc, because it features actual heroes and proper villains that are actual out to kill/destroy and not to play-pretend.

i mean, it's hilariously bizarre:

In other anime, kids go save the world in their lower teen years. Here the heroes are supposedly adult (lol) and still go to school in season 606050040.

What's really bad, however, ist that they already fought the most dangerous villains - what's left to learn at school? Learning about rules etc. shouldn't take long, and combat ability improves during your work as a hero and your spare time. So, literally, what's the purpose of going to school for so many years?

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MFauli
    Here the heroes are supposedly adult
    What gave you that impression?

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    What gave you that impression?
    i recently did an article on "sexualized underage anime girl" and researched Boku Hero-girls for that, too. They started out as younger, ca. 15-16, but should be 18+ by now, unless time is crawl in-anime.

What? AFAIK These guys haven't even completed a single year at their school. They're still "1st years".

What? AFAIK These guys haven't even completed a single year at their school. They're still "1st years".
    WTF

random lettters due to short posting

WTF

random lettters due to short posting
    How's that surprising? They entered the academy, had a tournament thing then the school carnival. They haven't been promoted to 2nd years yet, nor had ad a repeat tournament/carnival, and the Third Years that had been introduced are still current Third Years.

Not that much time has passed, and the characters all look the same. I don't know why you think 3 years has passed for these guys.

How's that surprising? They entered the academy, had a tournament thing then the school carnival. They haven't been promoted to 2nd years yet, nor had ad a repeat tournament/carnival, and the Third Years that had been introduced are still current Third Years.

Not that much time has passed, and the characters all look the same. I don't know why you think 3 years has passed for these guys.
    5 seasons and not one year having passed is just a crawl imo.

But then so my point remains: These characters already have gone through fighting the most dangerous villains. They shouldn't be spending their time encased in a cozy educational facility.

I don't know why you associate seasons with years or something like that.

If a fight or "situation" lasts for 5 episodes we have to wait 1-2 months, for the characters however, that took place in more or less 3 hours.

They are learning to be heroes and the show is about exactly that.

Like.. it's what the show is supposed to be about.
    It's not about what happens after school ends and if they go to college or not.

From Deku being accepted to UA to the Overhaul arc - a timespan of ~6 months seems likely.

edit: doesn't the sign still say 1-A(?)
    The cultural festival wasn't that long ago either (post Overhaul arc). That's usually in October or something.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Mon, 03-29-2021 at 03:49 PM.

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    ...didn't Naruto go through ~135 episodes (+100 filler) before its time skip? Seasonal airing can throw perception off, but yes, they are still first years.

Dragging someone out of a burning building does not make you a firefighter, and shooting someone to deter a crime does not make you a police officer. These are students enrolled in an academy to learn to dispense law enforcement and crisis mitigation on behalf of the government essentially as contractors with the benefits and responsibilities of sworn police officers. Last season we saw how a capable power user, Gentleman, was disqualified from becoming a hero due to demonstrating poor judgement that lead to catastrophe. These courses are to train them on more than simply punching bad guys. Remember how in season one (and three) they were training specifically on how to perform rescue operations in varying terrain? They do plenty of on job training as-is with the constant work study and provisional licenses. Working in city government, I can tell you that even tenured police and fire employees attend regular training for refreshment and introduction to the newest techniques- so further classroom study on law they are meant to enforce and techniques they are expected to abide by is more than reasonable.

It is the world building like this that wins a pass from me on some of MhA's other weaker elements. I like the more realistic take on the logistics of legislating a super human world. The show has said as much, in that law cannot really keep up with all of the new supernatural ways to subvert it, and heroes really fight an uphill battle. Rules of engagement only burden one side. It makes the idea of a 'symbol of peace' more poignant as I look back on it, and less sentimental... and I feel like I've had this conversation a few years back..

About the episode itself, I appreciate that they took the opportunity to tell me for the fifth time that Mineta's quirk is called 'pop-off', but who is seriously just now starting to watch this in the fifth season? I kid, I know there is no shortage of new blood each season who won't go back to catch up, but I certainly am anxious to get to more canon material!

Hawks is playing the double/triple agent, huh?

I guess what threw me off is the combination of them having fought the most dangerous criminals several times by now, yet still going to school, which just doesnt make sense to me. Had they clashed with minor criminals and maybe a middle-dangerous villain for the finale, that would have been okay. But no, they literally fought the MOST dangerous villains in season 1 and then again in every following season. To help make you understand: Imagine an isekai anime that starts out with the hero party fighting arch demons and elder dragons - only to spend most of its time at an adventurers' academy where they teach the same hero party how to properly fight slimes and bunnies. That's what BokuHero feels to me.

And mixing it with my watching of other series that do the whole "one year per season" thing, although I can't think of which series I'd be thinking of here rn. Was it an anime or us show? Not sure.

They didn't really fight them/him. They were just there and pretty much bystanders.
    At best, they were able to do a one-trick suprise attack that didn't really end up doing much.

The only criminal they had to face for real was Stain and then later Overhaul.
    And even then, when fighting latter, that wasn't just Deku's power either and involved Nighteye and Lemillion etc.

And honestly, villains like Himiko Toga seem like "Villains in training" to me. Hell, even the main villain is basically a villain in training and formed into one proper by "all for one" a few seasons in.

Either way. There is basically no one in Deku's group who has a clue when it comes to gathering information or hunting villains.
    They only react to what they see. The wouldn't really be able to be detectives as Nighteye.

5 seasons and not one year having passed is just a crawl imo.
    They spent 17 episodes on a police raid that took place during one day.

And also, like, EVERY shounen anime does this.

Hell, One Piece has been going for, over 20 years now. And they're still only, like, 2 years into the story. And that's with a 2 year SKIP.

This shit ain't Harry Potter where the story and the releases progress in real-time...

These characters already have gone through fighting the most dangerous villains.
    But they didn't BEAT the most dangerous villains. The grownups mostly do it.

This is the story about how Deku became "the greatest hero". Deku didn't beat All For One, All Might did.

Also, it's worth noting that most of the "most dangerous villains" are ALSO a bunch of teenagers. And the ones they HAVEN'T beaten, are the ones that are going to end up leveling up just as much as the hero kids as they get older.

Edit: Most of that was already said by Kray.
    Last edited by DarthEnderX; Mon, 03-29-2021 at 03:09 PM.

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    To its detriment, I would say, the power scaling is almost non-existent in Boku no Hero. Bounties, chakras, Nen or what have you exist (or rather persist) for a reason in shounen series. Without some baseline 'power' or 'strength' measurement, the fights are relegated to pure ability dynamics that can be hard to follow, and have also led to quite a bit of discussion and criticism in this very thread (like why going through concrete doesn't kill a person automatically when their quirk has nothing to do with body strengthening- because a baseline of quasi superhuman bodily 'strength' has to be assumed since the story does not provide one).

I don't know if the author sidestepped that shounen staple on purpose or what, but the result has certainly changed the... texture of how conflict battle can be resolved in HeroAca. On the one hand, clever power usage means you can pull underdog victories out of tactics and environment alone; Hunter x Hunter exceled at this. The downside to this approach is that you, as the writer, have to be at least slightly more clever than whatever your audience comes up with for power application or they will begin to second guess you and the characters(also can be seen in this very thread). Anchored power values streamline this process and bake in some wiggle room for matchups.

I mention this (which is news no nobody here) to juxtapose that the villains we have been exposed to in MhA aren't necessarily the de facto most dangerous ones, as that is purely decided by the usage of ability. I would personally be the most afraid of the mind control kid from season 2- he is basically Kira if he wants to be, or Mirio when he could permeate. Horikoshi, the author, no doubt takes some inspiration from western comics in crafting his superhero tale, but that format of storytelling is very much not traditional shounen in structure, so compromises were clearly made. Weekly Shounen Jump isn't interested in Peter Parker being Spider Man; it's interested in his training arc with Uncle Ben before he gets killed off in the 'late for dinner' arc...

We simply are expected to take at face value who is the most dangerous villain according to the story, but we aren't given self evident reasons to believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by neflight86 View Post
    To its detriment, I would say, the power scaling is almost non-existent in Boku no Hero. Bounties, chakras, Nen or what have you exist (or rather persist) for a reason in shounen series. Without some baseline 'power' or 'strength' measurement, the fights are relegated to pure ability dynamics that can be hard to follow, and have also led to quite a bit of discussion and criticism in this very thread (like why going through concrete doesn't kill a person automatically when their quirk has nothing to do with body strengthening- because a baseline of quasi superhuman bodily 'strength' has to be assumed since the story does not provide one).

I don't know if the author sidestepped that shounen staple on purpose or what, but the result has certainly changed the... texture of how conflict battle can be resolved in HeroAca. On the one hand, clever power usage means you can pull underdog victories out of tactics and environment alone; Hunter x Hunter exceled at this. The downside to this approach is that you, as the writer, have to be at least slightly more clever than whatever your audience comes up with for power application or they will begin to second guess you and the characters(also can be seen in this very thread). Anchored power values streamline this process and bake in some wiggle room for matchups.

I mention this (which is news no nobody here) to juxtapose that the villains we have been exposed to in MhA aren't necessarily the de facto most dangerous ones, as that is purely decided by the usage of ability. I would personally be the most afraid of the mind control kid from season 2- he is basically Kira if he wants to be, or Mirio when he could permeate. Horikoshi, the author, no doubt takes some inspiration from western comics in crafting his superhero tale, but that format of storytelling is very much not traditional shounen in structure, so compromises were clearly made. Weekly Shounen Jump isn't interested in Peter Parker being Spider Man; it's interested in his training arc with Uncle Ben before he gets killed off in the 'late for dinner' arc...

We simply are expected to take at face value who is the most dangerous villain according to the story, but we aren't given self evident reasons to believe it.
    good posting, agreed much

Quote Originally Posted by neflight86 View Post
    Bounties, chakras, Nen or what have you exist (or rather persist) for a reason in shounen series.
    Those are completely different things. Nen and Chakra is a power system, like DB's "Ki". Bounties are an arbitrary power measurement, like DB's "power level".